Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal v Man City

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Worried we might suffer a backlash to those 2 humbling defeats they've just had. Will the real Arsenal turn up on Sunday?

They are not that good. Ozil can't be arsed. They may beat us but they are pretty pony. The former Arsenal have not been around for years.

"Just a Sh1t Tottingham Hotspurs"

Pressure all on them.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The game on Sunday will be loaded with expectation for Arsenal, they will be more worried about playing the PL's 'kiss of death' team than most other games. We are on fire and Arse are going to get frustrated if they are not 2-0 up at half time. Looking forward to a cracking game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the big fish are already circling Spurs to carry on what City started when they took Kyle Walker. Be interesting to see how it plays out as I can't see Spurs wanting to limp into their new stadium with a squad depleted by Real Madrid and maybe further by City.

Very true. A wage rise from £75k to 200k a week will eventually entice a few. They might stay a season to play in the new stadium, before the cheque book clubs pounce.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wenger didn’t make any substitutions. So either he’s planning wholesale changes for Sunday or we’ll be facing a lot of humiliated and tired players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. Money is a necessary evil in modern football. Whether you’re trying to get in the Premier League, trying to stay in it, trying to win it or competing in Europe, you’ll get nowhere without spending a lot of money. And at the very top the amounts required are huge.

It always seems a bit childish and jealous when people dislike a particular team/manager because they’ve spent the most money. Man City spent a similar amount to Man United in the last few windows. Who’s got better value?

The squads cost a similar amount and who could argue that City have got better value? Running away with the league, no revolving door of expensive misfits being sold on, and no politicking against certain players through the media.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And despite spending a lot of money you could argue they have invested very wisely.

They signed De Bruyne for £55m. I reckon he’s worth £150m now.

Sane signed for £50m. He’s easily a £100m player now.

Jesus signed for £32m. You can double that if they sold him now.

Leicester value Mahrez at £100m. With that, your figures aren’t exaggerations.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
And despite spending a lot of money you could argue they have invested very wisely.

They signed De Bruyne for £55m. I reckon he’s worth £150m now.

Sane signed for £50m. He’s easily a £100m player now.

Jesus signed for £32m. You can double that if they sold him now.

Arsenal waste vast sums on players like Akpom who are never getting near the team. Bentner another from the recent past

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Arsene talking like a broken man. Hard not to feel sorry for him. Should have left two years ago sadly.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We need to take our chances Arsenal will be like a wounded animal.
Let's not take it for granted we will need to our bit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need to take our chances Arsenal will be like a wounded animal.
Let's not take it for granted we will need to our bit.

Arsenal should be clear favourites to beat us, they simply have far better players, on paper. Being twice outclassed by Citeh doesn’t necessarily improve our chances. I’ll be as glad as anyone if we get a point or 3, but they are classy opposition.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Man United are just as bad. They spent £90m on Pogba while City got De Bruyne and Sane in their midfield for £105m. Who would you rather have? United also spent huge sums on Bailly, Lindelof and Lukaku, while dropping a tonne of wages on Sanchez (who I’m not convinced they need and arguably offers no resale value at almost 30).

They’re all at it. Arsenal spent £48m on Lacazette, £35m on Xhaka and £32m on Mustafi. It shows that having money is one thing, spending it well is another. And City in recent times have spent very well.

I was only a little while ago agreeing with my beloved wife during the match that Guardiola gets good players and improves them, while Mourinho gets good players and ruins them. He seems to be screwing up Pogba at the moment. Louis van Gaal has commented over the last couple of days how badly he treated Schweinsteiger - sidelining him when he probably could have contributed considerably. He also allegedly screwed up Mikhataryan (sp?)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was only a little while ago agreeing with my beloved wife during the match that Guardiola gets good players and improves them, while Mourinho gets good players and ruins them. He seems to be screwing up Pogba at the moment. Louis van Gaal has commented over the last couple of days how badly he treated Schweinsteiger - sidelining him when he probably could have contributed considerably. He also allegedly screwed up Mikhataryan (sp?)

The treatment of Schweinsteiger beggared belief, he captained a quality German national team.

One trait seems a big manager picks a scapegoat from Day 1 - Pep was no different with Harte

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s Mourinho’s way or no way.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£35m on Xhaka and £32m on Mustafi. It shows that having money is one thing, spending it well is another. And City in recent times have spent very well.

Jesus they payed over the odds for those two and I agree on City.

Also interesting what Chelsea policy is bearing in mind the two best current Premier League players were once on their books.

Last edited:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
On Sunday we can't be over confident and play an open game, if we do they'll just pick us off.

We need to keep it tight and hit them on the break because they're always vulnerable at the back.

These are a good side with quality all over the pitch. They can hurt us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here