Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Running out of gas.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
every other year its a problem, and every other year is mild so we dont need to do anything. fracking is most sensible way to secure gas and reduce emissions in short term (away from coal), while giving strategic reserve in case the sun isnt very shiny or wind not blowy or panel/turbines farms not been allowed to be built. instead we do nothing because we pander to the green lobby, who wont be happy until we return to agrarian way of life.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've had British gas engineers out 3 times in the last 24 hours due to no heating. I'm am high priority as I have kidney failure (sorry to bore, I know I've mentioned it a lot, but it's a big thing). "unusually low temp (no sh1t)" was the reason.

A bit ridiculous, what am I paying for, it would be nice to have heating when I need it, that would be, er, let me see ... when it's cold perhaps !!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've had British gas engineers out 3 times in the last 24 hours due to no heating. I'm am high priority as I have kidney failure (sorry to bore, I know I've mentioned it a lot, but it's a big thing). "unusually low temp (no sh1t)" was the reason.

A bit ridiculous, what am I paying for, it would be nice to have heating when I need it, that would be, er, let me see ... when it's cold perhaps !!

Sorry to hear that Richard, if it is any comfort to you, I woke up this morning thinking the old boiler had re set the boiler to a timer, jumped in the shower and bingo no hot water, it turns out the boiler is playing up so we have no heating or water at present, someone coming out later though they said but can't be sure due to the weather.... That and a waste pipe blocked in the house, and an astronomical fee to replace it next week i am just waiting for the third bit of bad luck to come my way....

Anyway hope yours gets fixed before mine.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
About to have my boiler serviced British Gas and each time they tried to sell be a replacement over the last 5 years ago for around £4/5000 pounds i think they are very expensive.However it's still working well.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I'm a bit simple i'm afraid but i put on my electric, oil heater. well i know its not gas but it's ok for an emergency, :cool:

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I didn't know. So sorry to hear that mate. I hope you have the heating on now.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm a bit simple i'm afraid but i put on my electric, oil heater. well i know its not gas but it's ok for an emergency, :cool:

Nothing beats gas central heating. Would never go back to storage heaters again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About to have my boiler serviced British Gas and each time they tried to sell be a replacement over the last 5 years ago for around £4/5000 pounds i think they are very expensive.However it's still working well.

In the same boat. The boiler I bought 4 or 5 years ago is, touch wood, keeping our place nice and toasty.

Oh and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], it is still snowing here :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sorry to hear that Richard, if it is any comfort to you, I woke up this morning thinking the old boiler had re set the boiler to a timer, jumped in the shower and bingo no hot water, it turns out the boiler is playing up so we have no heating or water at present, someone coming out later though they said but can't be sure due to the weather.... That and a waste pipe blocked in the house, and an astronomical fee to replace it next week i am just waiting for the third bit of bad luck to come my way....

Anyway hope yours gets fixed before mine.

Thanks Martin. I did pop to B&Q last night to buy a couple of electric convection heaters. Heating is fixed at the mo - no guarantees it won't go again. I am dialysing now, while I have heat, so that's the main thing.

Have been thinking about a small job for you at some point - but it is a very small job, so i don't know if you'd want to do it. But, no hurry for it anyway.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thanks Martin. I did pop to B&Q last night to buy a couple of electric convection heaters. Heating is fixed at the mo - no guarantees it won't go again. I am dialysing now, while I have heat, so that's the main thing.

Have been thinking about a small job for you at some point - but it is a very small job, so i don't know if you'd want to do it. But, no hurry for it anyway.

Glad to hear you have warmth, just give us a tinkle anytime.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Nothing beats gas central heating. Would never go back to storage heaters again.
My electric (not storage) radiators are great and cost the same in electric as I was paying in gas. All individually controllable so you aren't heating the whole house if you don't need to and one goes wrong, you just replace it. British Gas wanted £6000 and ripping up my kitchen to replace my gravity fed boiler. New, efficient water heater and electric Rointe rads throughout cost half that (Albeit with discount).

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
A winning argument for Fracking imho

42BEE93400000578-0-image-m-4_1501700464738.jpg

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I've had British gas engineers out 3 times in the last 24 hours due to no heating.............

You are paying for gas and a repair man to fix your boiler when it doesn't work. I too, along with many others would like a guarantee that things would work without a problem forever. That ain't gonna happen, so I'm just glad that a fixer person comes along when things go wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We switched from British Gas to SSE for our servicing, as 1. they were cheaper, and 2. we are a priority due to my husband's chronic asthma and they kept us waiting over 3 days a few years ago to repair a valve.
SSE are very prompt and reliable.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You are paying for gas and a repair man to fix your boiler when it doesn't work. I too, along with many others would like a guarantee that things would work without a problem forever. That ain't gonna happen, so I'm just glad that a fixer person comes along when things go wrong.

Me too, not really my point. The 2nd guy said "it's cold, it is going to happen, I can get it going but it will probably freeze again". Clearly what they have installed cannot cope and is not good for the job, even if it is unusually cold. I don't mind things going wrong, it happens, but not to be able to fix properly it is not on - especially as it puts my life in danger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here