Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Free Punk IPA

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's like Burberry being mortified when Daniela Westbrook kept wearing their clothes. In the same vein, I'm sure Brewdog are more than happy not to have you on board WD. Cheers.
[emoji106]
Carry on pretending to enjoy soapy dishwater, cheers

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just curious, how much is a pint of Punk over there? They rip you a new arse hole for a pint of it here, 1200-1500 yen > 8-10 quid which is expensive even by local beer prices. With plenty of fine domestic craft ales available I don't drink much Punk, needless to say. I don't mind the stuff but I sort of get the impression they are more focused on branding than taste.

Pint of Punk in their bar here is around £5. Sounds steep, but you're paying £4-£5 for a pint in most places anyway!

Stumpy Tim

It sort of is, until you read the reviews about it tasting a 'bit soapy.' I took a few bottles of Nanny State to a BBQ last year, drank one and binned off the rest, asking myself: "Why am I doing this?" For me now, you either drink alcohol or you drink a soft drink and it kind of made me see the light that alcohol free alcohol is, well, completely pointless. (imho obviously)

I drink it at home as I genuinely like the taste. There's also something relaxing about having a beer - with or without alcohol.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just curious, how much is a pint of Punk over there? They rip you a new arse hole for a pint of it here, 1200-1500 yen > 8-10 quid which is expensive even by local beer prices. With plenty of fine domestic craft ales available I don't drink much Punk, needless to say. I don't mind the stuff but I sort of get the impression they are more focused on branding than taste.

I’m not convinced it’s style over substance. Punk IPA is their flag ship beer and it’s a brilliant version of a modern IPA imho. And they have plenty of other great beers in their core, amplified and small batch ranges. And they are certainly pushing their agenda, they never hide this. But this is different to branding I think. But I do agree there are plenty of brilliant alternatives these days.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Pint of Punk in their bar here is around £5. Sounds steep, but you're paying £4-£5 for a pint in most places anyway!

Buy a pint of cheap lager, get a grapefruit out of your man bag, squeeze it into the pint and hey presto Punk IPA at a fraction of the cost.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I was in The Hop Poles in Middle Street the other night where it's £6.50 a pint!

A few months ago, when it was only £6.25, I asked why so expensive?

I was told by the barmaid that it's due to Brexit and the import tax.......:laugh:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
So I gave up alcohol for January as I do every year. did it so successfully I wondered if it would set a tone for the rest of the year. Now we are in March I realise I have drunk enough in February for two months. So what a waste of time and effort.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I was in The Hop Poles in Middle Street the other night where it's £6.50 a pint!

A few months ago, when it was only £6.25, I asked why so expensive?

I was told by the barmaid that it's due to Brexit and the import tax.......:laugh:

Brilliant! I live in Hove, and The Blind Busker have it as part of their craft beer range, and used to have it for £2.95 a pint on Tuesdays. Miss those days!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Buy a pint of cheap lager, get a grapefruit out of your man bag, squeeze it into the pint and hey presto Punk IPA at a fraction of the cost.

Top idea. I may as well carry round a sack of potatoes, oil, seasoning and a deep fat fryer for the bag of crisps I want to go with it. Will give that a go next time!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think they all charge what they think they can get away with, in Worthing I know of a bottle of Belgian La Chouffe costs £5 whereas in Culruyt in Belgium its the equivalent of £1.25 a bottle.

Isn’t Culruyt a supermarket ?
Comparing like with like I have been getting La Chouffe online from Beerwulf at £ 1.59 a bottle.

I pay £ 1.50 a bottle for Punk and £ 1.35 with Jules discount.

I do though begrudge paying the best part of six quid for a pint of it though in any pub and seldom do it.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Isn’t Culruyt a supermarket ?
Comparing like with like I have been getting La Chouffe online from Beerwulf at £ 1.59 a bottle.

I pay £ 1.50 a bottle for Punk and £ 1.35 with Jules discount.

I do though begrudge paying the best part of six quid for a pint of it though in any pub and seldom do it.

Very much this.

I love my Punk IPA, especially when it's ICE COLD and Friday.

However, I'm not going to pay £6.50 a pint, however much I love it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It sort of is, until you read the reviews about it tasting a 'bit soapy.' I took a few bottles of Nanny State to a BBQ last year, drank one and binned off the rest, asking myself: "Why am I doing this?" For me now, you either drink alcohol or you drink a soft drink and it kind of made me see the light that alcohol free alcohol is, well, completely pointless. (imho obviously)
You could have mixed it with Hooch and had a reverse shandy.

:jester:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Good spot! If I take advantage it might compensate for the £6 per pint I paid at Shepherds Bush before the QPR game last year and bring my average consumed price per pint back down to normal London price levels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here