Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
VAR should be burned, along with the person who thought it up.

This. Goal-line technology was acceptable and easily technologically definable but the s*** show we have seen over recent weeks shows interpretation on VAR is still an issue. Having a winge at the Ref, lino is an essential part of football :rant:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ref got it the wrong way round.

DXJjxxqWkAAgee4.jpg

I think the ref got it right, imo

https://twitter.com/Destaquito2/status/968943879553773570

[tweet]968943879553773570[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure your last sentence is correct.

However, the rest of it is ridiculous and it's the law that needs changing. Penalties should be scored, they're generally awarded because foul play has stopped a good goal scoring chance. Imagine the outrage if we were playing Palace and had a shot blocked on the line with a handball, leading to a Palace defender being sent off. Hemed, already booked, steps up to take the penalty and does his usual trick of waiting for the keeper to commit before slotting in.

The ref, unsure if this technique is legal, refers it to VAR who rules it a feint, only marginally. The ref has no choice but to rule it out, leading to the goal being ruled out and Hemed going off for a second yellow.

All this may be perfectly correct in the letter of the law but in the spirit of the law it sucks big hairy ones. Far from calming down managers and fans that sort of decision could lead to a riot.

I've just posted a tweet. Hemed never stops like this.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bad decisions will always be part of the game VAR or not. At least if we get rid of it, we can have those decisions got out of the way quickly, then we can get on with the game

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As much as I would love to see Spurs lose tonight they should be 1-0 up VAR need binning, the world cup is going to be rubbish and not worth watching with VAR

VAR is not the problem. It’s a simple concept that has proven successful in Italy and the MLS. The problem is the dickeads trying to implement it, quite frankly embarrassing!

theroyal

May 11, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never seen a player booked for a stumbling run up to take a pen, or the goal disallowed and a free kick awarded to the defending team. Never.

My guess is the refs making the off site VAR decisions are applying the 'letter of the law' in order to make VAR look absurd, thereby ensuring their god-like pre-eminence on the pitch will ultimatly prevail.

A classic ploy.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a farce
Disallowed goal. Ref is there to make decision on if it is a foul
Penalty decision Again ref is there to make a decision
Penalty disallowed Fair enough he made a decision. However what was he doing checking to see if his mate agreed.

None of these decisions should of gone to VAR. Just use it for goal lines, if ball out of play mistaken identity. and if you must off sides. Fouls and dives can only be judged by the on the spot ref.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've just posted a tweet. Hemed never stops like this.

His movement is much more subtle but I don't think Son has feinted to take the kick having completed his run up - that means taking an air shot and then kicking it - and neither does Hemed. You've entirely missed the point in my post where I said UNSURE IF THIS TECHNIQUE IS ILLEGAL. It's pretty clear from tonight's game that the ref is just using VAR to push any decision he's not comfortable making himself on to someone else. So, I come back to, in the hypothetical situation I highlighted, is a stuttered run up converting a penalty given for a professional foul worthy of an identical punishment to the attacking team - i.e. losing the goal and the teams immediately at 10 players each?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His movement is much more subtle but I don't think Son has feinted to take the kick having completed his run up - that means taking an air shot and then kicking it - and neither does Hemed. You've entirely missed the point in my post where I said UNSURE IF THIS TECHNIQUE IS ILLEGAL. It's pretty clear from tonight's game that the ref is just using VAR to push any decision he's not comfortable making himself on to someone else. So, I come back to, in the hypothetical situation I highlighted, is a stuttered run up converting a penalty given for a professional foul worthy of an identical punishment to the attacking team - i.e. losing the goal and the teams immediately at 10 players each?

That wasn't a stuttered run up. He stopped the run up completely and then started again. I don't think the ref used VAR for his decision on this.

Courtesy of Lord Sugar - VAR Very Average Ref.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
First time I’ve noticed this tonight - but the refs go back to penalty shouts a few minutes earlier.

What happens if the other team counters and scores?

I think that would be the ultimate farce

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
His movement is much more subtle but I don't think Son has feinted to take the kick having completed his run up

Son actually stopped. He literally planted both feet. Embarrassing error by a top-level pro.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I imagined it would be used when there was a controversial decision, but instead it seems to be being used to make controversial decisions when everyone agreed at first.

Either there needs to be an appeals system - like in Cricket - with both teams having a limited set of reviews, or it should be removed.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
But...both desicions were correct. Do people now want incorrect desicions? Surely if there was no VAR the same people would be screaming for it and saying that the ref if clearly biased towards the premier league big boys.
Both the penalty decision (whether or not to award a penalty) and the disallowed goal were both marginal decisions. It would be better to keep the game going than stop and VAR them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've always been on the fence about video technology. I didn't think it would be the cure-all some of it's supporters suggested, nor the disaster that it's detractors suggested (I know it currently looks like I may be wrong on that latter part, but I would argue it's still early days, and until we see if there are any tweaks etc we can't see it has failed).

I thought there were some bad arguments on both sides, but the argument I disliked the most was the patronising, dismissive, simplistic "anyone who doesn't want video technology is a Luddite" (an argument I remember Ollie Holt making on sunday supplement more than once, and I think Paul Heyward has expressed similar sentiments). I wonder if they are still as condescendingly dismissive of people who don't/didn't want it, now?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here