Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is unreal. Son Heung-min stops and starts in his run-up and slots it home. Again, we all think it's a goal. But the referee rules it out. And books Son.

Former Premier League referee Chris Hoy on BT Sport: "It is what they call illegal fainting. He is quite rightly carded. The decision is right albeit unpopular."

Ps I think he means feinting rather than fainting.

But there was players in the box BEFORE he did that.

It shouldn’t have counted but should have been retaken.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
This is unreal. Son Heung-min stops and starts in his run-up and slots it home. Again, we all think it's a goal. But the referee rules it out. And books Son.

Former Premier League referee Chris Hoy on BT Sport: "It is what they call illegal fainting. He is quite rightly carded. The decision is right albeit unpopular."

Illegal fainting is more Dele Alli’s thing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

:lolol: Maybe he did actually faint briefly before taking the penalty

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton

He used to be a cyclist not a ref.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
dosent tomer hemed do something similar on pens dwelling before kicking the ball waiting for the keeper to commit?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The idea of VAR sounds great ..

No it doesn't. I thought it was a horrendous idea when it was suggested; thought it was a horrendous idea when it was implemented and think it's a horrendous idea as it's been implemented.

But there a lot of people on here rewriting history; there were many, many people on NSC who couldn't wait for it be brought in, despite what we sensible people were saying :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shirt pull for the disallowed goal.
The law for penalties has been for a while that you can stutter with your run up, but you can't stop. Son came to a clear stop halfway through his run-up then continued. Players from both teams encroached, normally that would result in a retake, but, the feinting is a more severe offence, so supercedes and as an offence by the taking team means it isn't re-taken.
The foul 'continued into the box'.

As far as I'm concerned, VAR resulted in the correct decisions being made.

The focus should be the process and the system, and how that impacts on spectators, and whether getting the correct decisions are worth it. I don't agree that fans need to see the footage used for the VAR. Fan's opinion of potential offences is irrelevant, and will never be fair and balanced (on the whole). But I don't understand why it took so long for the VAR to say to the ref 'the foul started outside the box, but carried on into it'. I don't understand why the ref was stood there with his finger to his ear for so long before indicating a penalty.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm sure your last sentence is correct.

However, the rest of it is ridiculous and it's the law that needs changing. Penalties should be scored, they're generally awarded because foul play has stopped a good goal scoring chance. Imagine the outrage if we were playing Palace and had a shot blocked on the line with a handball, leading to a Palace defender being sent off. Hemed, already booked, steps up to take the penalty and does his usual trick of waiting for the keeper to commit before slotting in.

The ref, unsure if this technique is legal, refers it to VAR who rules it a feint, only marginally. The ref has no choice but to rule it out, leading to the goal being ruled out and Hemed going off for a second yellow.

All this may be perfectly correct in the letter of the law but in the spirit of the law it sucks big hairy ones. Far from calming down managers and fans that sort of decision could lead to a riot.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Ref got it the wrong way round.

Attachments

• DXJjxxqWkAAgee4.jpg
    DXJjxxqWkAAgee4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 276

Jimmy Grimble

Stroke of genius getting Alan Partridge on the commentary tonight.

Si-SOCK-o indeed

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As I said right at the start of VAR it may kill football.

The balance is too much in favour of ruling goals out rather than goals in. Less goals mean worse football. Also the biggest single pleasure of football is scoring and celebrating a goal. If you take away that moment of joy then it becomes nothing. Totally futile.

People say it works in rugby, but that’s a totally different, stop start game, and a try does not mean as much as a goal does. It’s hat simple.

Bin it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here