Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The End of Wenger?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If they lose to City then they can kiss goodbye to the Top 4, which then means they'd have to win the Europa League to get into the Champions league so beat AC Milan in the last 16. The first leg is in a week's time.

If City win tonight Arsenal have to start thinking about the Milan match as the last chance to save their season, and on the back of losing in the League Cup Final I fancy they won't be fully focused on Sunday's match.

Therefore, I do subscribe to the idea that this is a great opportunity for the Albion to pick up their first points against a Top 6 club. Moreover, I can't see that Wenger would have had much opportunity to do his homework on Locadia and I fancy this is the right time to start him. Arsenal will have the majority of possession so our best chance to hurt them will be on the break - not Murray's forte.

Chris Hughton won't drop Glenn Murray whilst he is bang in form. Locadia to replace him off the bench around the hour mark is my best guess. Why change a winning team?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whilst I very much hope your procedure goes well tomorrow Bwian and that you make the game, I'm anxious that this fixture goes ahead on Sunday. We are confident, and in form, after two wins on the bounce. Now is the time to play it.

I agree but you know what us football fans are like!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8359362 said:
All this optimism scares me - I'm now expecting a tonking for our boys :(

Yeah, I agree, I felt a bit like this before the Liverpool game, they'd drawn a couple at home to West Brom and Everton, and we'd played well at OT, looked the better team home to Stoke, and beat Swansea away – I got myself half expecting them to be our first top 6 scalp...that didn't work out so well...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
To the chagrin of many Arsenal supporters, Wenger's going nowhere regardless of our result.

He's got another year left on his contract and there's a small chance of Champions League qualification through winning the Europa.

They'll be in Europe again next season in some form with Arsene at the helm unless he resigns...which won't happen.

That said, they're regressing under Wenger and the fans won't like finishing behind Spurs for the 2nd season in a row.

In an age when football managers are replaced on a whim and far too quickly, Wenger is the exception to prove the rule.

After a while, the advantages of continuity and stability are replaced by the drawbacks of complacency and staleness.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I hope we beat them sunday as i am sure we will feature on Paddy Powers Fan Denial.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Chris Hughton won't drop Glenn Murray whilst he is bang in form. Locadia to replace him off the bench around the hour mark is my best guess. Why change a winning team?

As was one in ten Glenn is undropable at present

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I would so love to be able to resurrect the old “you’re getting sacked in the morning!” song. It’s been a while.

It's still quite a big if for us to beat them, but if we did, then I think we should show a bit more class than to sing that to Wenger. Regardless of how things have gone for him in recent seasons, to be manager of a major club for more than 20 years warrants a little more respect. I don't think Hughton would think much of that either.

Some managers deserve a bit of stick (i.e. any Palace manager, Pardew, Allardyce, etc...) and they would be fair game for a teasing chant. I reckon it's better to pick your target appropriately.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It's still quite a big if for us to beat them, but if we did, then I think we should show a bit more class than to sing that to Wenger. Regardless of how things have gone for him in recent seasons, to be manager of a major club for more than 20 years warrants a little more respect. I don't think Hughton would think much of that either.

Some managers deserve a bit of stick (i.e. any Palace manager, Pardew, Allardyce, etc...) and they would be fair game for a teasing chant. I reckon it's better to pick your target appropriately.

Yes, you’re right of course. Sorry.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think Wenger has been an exceptional manager for an organisation that has placed financial results above football results for too long. Buying almost good players whilst others buy really good players has put them as an almost good team. Not that I care that much...let’s just beat them!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not looking good is it?

I'm sure he has a decent pension package, probably better than mine...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

And Locadia isn't bang in form? 2 goals in 90 minutes of football on the back on 8 weeks out is a good start.

I'd be gutted if Arsenal WERE there for the taking but our lack of pace up front cost us. Let's not forget, we've drawn at home against worse teams than Arsenal with Murray in the line-up. And Murray will be that much more rested for the Everton match.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
And Locadia isn't bang in form? 2 goals in 90 minutes of football on the back on 8 weeks out is a good start.

I'd be gutted if Arsenal WERE there for the taking but our lack of pace up front cost us. Let's not forget, we've drawn at home against worse teams than Arsenal with Murray in the line-up. And Murray will be that much more rested for the Everton match.

Don't want to encroach on any 'line up for Arse' threads, but would a 4-4-2 with Murray and Locadia up front be poss? Ulloa/Baldrick on the bench?
Back on topic, I think he will survive the chop IF we do them.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Who would they appoint in his place? I know a vocal portion of their fans blame Wenger for their 'plight', but Arsenal are consistently a top-5 team, whilst the Champions position is traded between whichever team has spent madly the season before. It's hardly Wenger fault entirely, the club has decided to work in the way it does, so I can't see a new manager improving their finishing position. Just as likely they'll slip down a bit further. My uncle is a massive Arsenal fan, and naturally my mum etc supports them because he did as a child, so I'll be amused to see how they react.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Agree with this. Will go against the grain for me but a bit of respect/class is exactly what our manager would prefer and he is right (always).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't want to encroach on any 'line up for Arse' threads, but would a 4-4-2 with Murray and Locadia up front be poss? Ulloa/Baldrick on the bench?
Back on topic, I think he will survive the chop IF we do them.

So you'd drop Gross?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a fantastic start, but Coventry are only League 2, so you're talking 1 goal against an already beaten Swansea.

I'd be gutted if Arsenal WERE there for the taking but our lack of pace up front cost us.
Pace is obviously something extra that Locadia offers. I guess it will also be down to how well he's done in training.
Let's not forget, we've drawn at home against worse teams than Arsenal with Murray in the line-up.
But the whole team is playing better than we were then.
And Murray will be that much more rested for the Everton match.
That goes against your argument. You seem to be suggesting we rest Murray for Everton, as he's our best striker at the moment - if that's the case, he should play against Arsenal. And it's a week between games, he shouldn't need more rest than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here