Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Winter Break from 19/20 Season/FA Cup Re-jig

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would make the FA Cup an entirely midweek competition and scrap all replays. Nobody cares about it, nobody takes it seriously so why waste weekends on it? You could run the Premier League as an entirely weekend-only competition as a result, ensuring a week between every single fixture.

I think Wigan fans would disagree with you along with quite a number of fans from other teams. I've rather enjoyed it this season as well !

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Football league will follow, championship clubs will rightly say they have squads full of internationals

Doubt it. Championship and League 1/2 already have more games as it is. They’ll be better off playing those two weeks due to more chance of TV coverage with the PL sides playing reduced fixtures.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So the only reason for having a mid-season break is because the multi-millionaire players, whose every whim is pandered to, are getting ickle bit tired?

What a bunch of pretentious wimps.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wigan were 6,000 short of capacity for a match against Manchester City so they don't care that much! I accept there is still a sizeable minority of traditionalists supporting the FA Cup but in my opinion the reality for most people is that it's now an irrelevance that prevents us getting what we really want, i.e. another week of Premier League football. See also: International breaks.

You are correct insofar as it is clearly nothing like as important as it once was. However, if UEFA allowed domestic cup winners a Champions League spot, I think you'd find that status quo change quite dramatically.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Wigan were 6,000 short of capacity for a match against Manchester City so they don't care that much! I accept there is still a sizeable minority of traditionalists supporting the FA Cup but in my opinion the reality for most people is that it's now an irrelevance that prevents us getting what we really want, i.e. another week of Premier League football. See also: International breaks.

That's a good turnout for wigan.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Winter break for Premier League clubs in February from 2019-20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44414487
Ridiculous. I am against this. It won't help the national team at all as half of them don't even play regularly for their home club. It will be interesting to see what happens if those particular weekends are mild, whilst the preceding weekends or following weekends have heavy winter snow.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
"The break will be staggered across two weeks, with five matches on the first weekend and five the following weekend."

So, how does that work?
No actual break in the Premier League, just one weekend off with no midweek fixtures before or after?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good article on the 'tired' excuse for underperformance a few days back on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44360116

England's World Cup players played less club football this season than their Spain, France and Brazil counterparts.

Received wisdom suggests players in the Premier League play more than other major leagues, but Gareth Southgate's squad have played the fourth most minutes of all the nations to qualify for the finals in Russia.

Spain's squad have played almost a combined 10,000 minutes more than England's, with France about 5,000 and Brazil 4,000 ahead of England.

The England squad selected by Roy Hodgson for the 2014 World Cup played almost 4,000 fewer minutes than Joachim Low's tournament-winning Germany squad.

D

Deleted member 18477

Sensible and also sensible to get rid of 5th round FA cup replays.
Now let's get rid of 4th round replays (I'm in favour of always keeping 3rd round replays)
Then after, get rid of the league cup 2 leg semi finals.
Then get rid of FA cup semi's being held at Wembley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good article on the 'tired' excuse for underperformance a few days back on the BBC website:
Received wisdom suggests players in the Premier League play more than other major leagues, but Gareth Southgate's squad have played the fourth most minutes of all the nations to qualify for the finals in Russia.
Well if they've played the 4th most, that is more than most other nations isn't it. And presumably it would be more if it weren't for the fact that this time round some players have been out through injury, or simply not been picked for their teams because they're not good enough.

The England squad selected by Roy Hodgson for the 2014 World Cup played almost 4,000 fewer minutes than Joachim Low's tournament-winning Germany squad.
But the squad have played more than Germany this time round. It would be good to see the overall statistics, rather than cherry picked ones.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Boo Hiss. This could spell the end of my traditional birthday footy weekend pass :down:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So the only reason for having a mid-season break is because the multi-millionaire players, whose every whim is pandered to, are getting ickle bit tired?

What a bunch of pretentious wimps.

Well, there is the other reason of lucrative opportunities to go and play football somewhere abroad for a few million :rolleyes:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Probably there will be some 6 nations to watch

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here