Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
- most own goals
- most blocks
- 3rd highest tackles for an Englishman, Stephens is top
- most accurate 60 yard passes (was on twitter last week)
- 10th highest headed clearances
- more interceptions than any other English player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Dunk is our best player for a generation maybe 2. How can we hold on to him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
- most own goals
- most blocks
- 3rd highest tackles for an Englishman, Stephens is top
- most accurate 60 yard passes (was on twitter last week)
- 10th highest headed clearances
- more interceptions than any other English player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I momentarily thought 'that's an odd stat', until the penny dropped:-

- 1st Headed clearances Shane Duffy 178 (55 more than the next player)

I'd be more worried about losing both, in a package deal, than just the one.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Manchester United, Manchester City , Liverpool , Swansea , of all the own goals i suppose the Man Utd one cost us a point but the others are really by the by , so Dunk has cost us 1 point in real terms with how he defends , i will try to figure out how many points he has saved us but it will be significantly more than 1 bloody point , so Carry on blocking Dunky .

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The number of own goals actually shows just how good he is. The fact he gets in the way of balls that other defenders don't get anywhere near to is a demonstration of how well he reads the game and how quick he is to get in the way.

He is a class act and I'm so proud he is 'one of our own' and looking like one of the best defenders in the league. It will be a joke if he's not in the England squad soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He is a class act and I'm so proud he is 'one of our own' and looking like one of the best defenders in the league. It will be a joke if he's not in the England squad soon.
I was thinking about this usual topic, earlier.

Let's say John Stones is the best England defender.
Yet Dunk out performs Stones in every metric on which you base defending.

In the World Cup finals do we want the best defender playing or the player who defends best?

Without looking would anyone care to guess just how many tackles John Stones has been accredited with this season?

Dunk has made 52.

So I can edit the answer in:-

Stones has made 15 (one five) tackles.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much less but he doesn't have to. The fact is, it's very difficult to know how good a defender someone like Stones is when his team are so much better than anyone else. Essentially he plays as deep lying midfield playmaker.

Do you want a deep lying midfield playmaker playing centre back v Germany in (what the hell) the quarter finals of the World Cup?
Or a centre back who has so far completed 52 successful tackles.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
- 1st Headed clearances Shane Duffy 178 (55 more than the next player)

That's outrageous. If the average headed clearance per game ratio persists, and Shane doesn't head another ball ever again, it will take the person in second until 3 games into next season to catch up with him.

el punal

Dunk is our best player for a generation maybe 2. How can we hold on to him?

With the realisation that our dear Bruno's years are catching up, maybe, just maybe, the honour and responsibility of being made club captain will be an incentive for Lewis to stay. It would be good to have a one club player in this day and age, there are not many I can think of in recent years - Gerrard, Le Tissier, Scholes, and Giggs for example.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
With the realisation that our dear Bruno's years are catching up, maybe, just maybe, the honour and responsibility of being made club captain will be an incentive for Lewis to stay. It would be good to have a one club player in this day and age, there are not many I can think of in recent years - Gerrard, Le Tissier, Scholes, and Giggs for example.

Maybe Shawcross also

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am the biggest Lewis Dunk ''convert'' on the planet. When first watching him I would have taken the £5m offered by Fulham for him. He has matured so much in the last 3 years and he has had options to go since then and the club as everyone reports on here have given him improved contracts almost every year to keep him, which has been the best bit of business the club has ever done.

That includes in my opinion, any of the new signings and keeping hold of Stephens. Although the keeping hold of Stephens runs it damned close. The times Dunky has won a point here and a point there for us by his performances is the main reason Brighton will be playing PL football again next year.

Playing alongside Duffy you can see they both go into every game thinking that they go into every game believing they are as good as anyone they come up against. As sure as eggs are eggs - more clubs will coming knocking on the door to buy Dunk but who knows. We have fought everyone off so far so why not again

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The one area where he is a little weak is bringing the ball out of defence. He tends to push it too far in front of him and then lunge at it when he is closed down. Having said that, I just love his 60 yards exocets to the wings. I don't see anyone else in the PL make those passes so accurately. I fear a huge bid from Liverpool or Arsenal in the summer. I fear even more a huge bid from Arsenal for Dunk and Duffy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one area where he is a little weak is bringing the ball out of defence. He tends to push it too far in front of him and then lunge at it when he is closed down. Having said that, I just love his 60 yards exocets to the wings. I don't see anyone else in the PL make those passes so accurately. I fear a huge bid from Liverpool or Arsenal in the summer. I fear even more a huge bid from Arsenal for Dunk and Duffy.

I thought it was odd that MotD were almost laughing at Murray running behind the Swansea defence and yet failed to mention who's pinpoint pass he was running onto.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

No chance of that while Wenger is there. He wouldn't know a good defender if he was punched in the eye by one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here