Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think and have said it many times for a man who is 6ft 3in tall he is not dominant enough in the air especially when attacking the ball either when defending or attacking corners to try to score and I think that is his biggest weakness. On the ground and cutting out balls before they reach the striker from the keeper etc he is excellent.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
With the realisation that our dear Bruno's years are catching up, maybe, just maybe, the honour and responsibility of being made club captain will be an incentive for Lewis to stay. It would be good to have a one club player in this day and age, there are not many I can think of in recent years - Gerrard, Le Tissier, Scholes, and Giggs for example.

This and the fans vote for him as player of the year. A little love will go a long way

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This and the fans vote for him as player of the year. A little love will go a long way

I think that is probably already set in stone. Stephens, Murray and Gross some way behind him at the moment. Ryan has also had a good first season but nowhere close to Dunk.

Whether we vote for him as PotS and give him the captaincy will make little difference I fear. I would love nothing more than for him to stay with us but he is "TOP 6 QUALITY" as they say and we're just supposed to accept these kind of transfers and know our place, and within reason rinse them of every penny we can in the process. I'm sure Tony will make sure we take as much as possible of the money they gorge themselves on when we do sell.

For someone like me who despises these clubs for many reasons old and new, it will be pretty gut-wrenching seeing him in one of their shirts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was thinking about this usual topic, earlier.

Let's say John Stones is the best England defender.
Yet Dunk out performs Stones in every metric on which you base defending.

In the World Cup finals do we want the best defender playing or the player who defends best?

Without looking would anyone care to guess just how many tackles John Stones has been accredited with this season?

Dunk has made 52.

So I can edit the answer in:-

Stones has made 15 (one five) tackles.

Stones plays Hollywood balls to feet, enough to make Guardiola and Southgate dribble.

But can be made to look a clown in his defending (Will Griggs last week).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stones plays Hollywood balls to feet, enough to make Guardiola and Southgate dribble.

But can be made to look a clown in his defending (Will Griggs last week).

I know which I'd prefer playing against some of the worlds best strikers.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He would be an even better player in a better team e.g. Man City as they make so many runs either short or long and I would expect them to encourage him to carry the ball forward.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I agree with you but there is a tiny tiny part of me that wants him to emulate Mark Lawrenson and reach the very top.
With the realisation that our dear Bruno's years are catching up, maybe, just maybe, the honour and responsibility of being made club captain will be an incentive for Lewis to stay. It would be good to have a one club player in this day and age, there are not many I can think of in recent years - Gerrard, Le Tissier, Scholes, and Giggs for example.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

There are so many to choose from this year and there's sound reasons for all of them, Dale, for taking to the league like a duck to water, Davy P. The same, Izzy, the whole defence have a case, then Maty, what a signing he's been, though short on stature:lolol: , Then there's Muzza! What can be said that hasn't already? 34 years old and banging them in in this league left right and centre with virtually every appendage! Its defo gonna be a lot hard thinking to determine who's most deserving. And who can possibly overlook Pascal G.?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Lewis Dunk is a wonderful defender and I'm very pleased he's in our defence. But when I see what Matic does for United I feel Lewis could easily perform that role very well in any Premier League team.
Once we are safe from relegation I'd love to see Uwe or Goldson come in next to Duffy and see Dunk in a more advanced role. I think he is made for it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lewis Dunk is a wonderful defender and I'm very pleased he's in our defence. But when I see what Matic does for United I feel Lewis could easily perform that role very well in any Premier League team.
Once we are safe from relegation I'd love to see Uwe or Goldson come in next to Duffy and see Dunk in a more advanced role. I think he is made for it.

Has he got the mobility and agility to perform the Kante / Matic type role?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Love those forward runs he made tonight, he should do that more often. Nobody knew who should have been picking him up.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can remember Lawro doing exactly the same at the Goldstone. He just makes me purr and he's one of our own

Yep, I agree. Makes you push out your chest with pride. A helluva player now.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Good to see him forward but to be successful offensively he needs a left foot, as demonstrated when he hacked a pass along the line into row Z trying to use the outside of his right.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
If he can do that in a home game and score the crowd will go absolutely mental !!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This guy deserves his own appreciation thread. Absolutely ****ing class.

I grew up with absolute dogshit playing for us. I grew up remembering Mark Morris - later believing Darren Carr would lead us to success. I saw a friendly at Crawley’s (new) ground where they ran out of balls - seriously - because our centre halves whacked so many out of the ground. There was a delay while they sourced the balls.

Then I remember thinking Danny Cullip was Premier League class because he was absolutely bossing Division 3 and could CONTROL and PASS the ball at Withers.

I remember having a guy a million miles away from the first team at Man Utd (on loan) called Paul McShane. I remember everyone raving he was the best centre back we’d had since Lawrenson, as we were haplessly relegated from the Championship on a shoestring budget.

Now we’re in the ****ing actual PL in 2018 and have a Brightonian centre half more than holding his own in the PL. a guy who went to BHASVIC (like me) who can play 70 yard cross field passes and is being touted for an England call up.

This is ****ing dreamland

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This guy deserves his own appreciation thread. Absolutely ****ing class.

I grew up with absolute dogshit playing for us. I grew up remembering Mark Morris - later believing Darren Carr would lead us to success. I saw a friendly at Crawley’s (new) ground where they ran out of balls - seriously - because our centre halves whacked so many out of the ground. There was a delay while they sourced the balls.

Then I remember thinking Danny Cullip was Premier League class because he was absolutely bossing Division 3 and could CONTROL and PASS the ball at Withers.

I remember having a guy a million miles away from the first team at Man Utd (on loan) called Paul McShane. I remember everyone raving he was the best centre back we’d had since Lawrenson, as we were haplessly relegated from the Championship on a shoestring budget.

Now we’re in the ****ing actual PL in 2018 and have a Brightonian centre half more than holding his own in the PL. a guy who went to BHASVIC (like me) who can play 70 yard cross field passes and is being touted for an England call up.

This is ****ing dreamland

Absolutely this!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's just a Rolls Royce of a defender. He's got the lot. Strength, antictipation, courage, passing, blocking, intelligence, bringing the ball out and using it, the odd Hollywood pass. Its been a privilege watching him grow into the supreme centreback he has become.

And yet that Palace wankface fishlips still see's fit to select Alfie f-ing MAWSON ahead of him. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here