Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Moving to Worthing

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
You need a decent pub within a 15/20 minute walk with an Indian, a Chinese, a chippie and a Turkish kebab shop all pretty close by. Also 5 minutes from a station so when you get back after a 4-1 home victory you’ve not to far to stagger. 5 minutes from the beach and a convenience store/off license should the unheard of happen and you run short of wine.
Off road parking is handy as well. Yep, I like East Worthing.

Near Durrington Station area is ok, you have the Strand Parade of shops and the Golden Lion which is a cheap locals pub - (Greene King - £2.79! plus all Live Sky/BT games) and within walking distance of Goring Rd shops for the little decent Micro-pub thats on there (Georgi-Fin)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I’ve gone for the house in Warwick Road. Close to the sea and lots of decent pubs and restaurants and yet the street itself is very quiet. Reminds me a lot of living in Robert Street in Brighton.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve gone for the house in Warwick Road. Close to the sea and lots of decent pubs and restaurants and yet the street itself is very quiet. Reminds me a lot of living in Robert Street in Brighton.

Hope it works out. The grass by Splashpoint and Coast Cafe will be really good in the summer I think, lots going on.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Not too familiar with Worthing but made me think with people favouring West Worthing. Are there many coastal places in Sussex where the east of the town is a more favourable place to live than its west?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A lot of people criticising Worthing, but when I was last in Brighton, the amount of homeless people asking me for money meant I was glad to get the train back home after a night in the town.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good call. The Egremont will be your local. That's changed (massively for the better) since I was going there in the 1970s. If you are a runner then the Worthing parkrun starts and finishes a few yards from your door. If you are not a runner than this will be a great opportunity to become one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Near Durrington Station area is ok, you have the Strand Parade of shops and the Golden Lion which is a cheap locals pub - (Greene King - £2.79! plus all Live Sky/BT games) and within walking distance of Goring Rd shops for the little decent Micro-pub thats on there (Georgi-Fin)

You were doing ok till you mentioned Greene King

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You’ve got a good spot there. Don’t neglect The Selden pub back up on Lyndhurst road on a Friday tea time where they have a great curry night from 7 till 9 with good beers and it’s a real good community pub. The land lady is mad as a box of frogs which helps. Very friendly and welcoming......... and yes they do a lager besides a hundred Belgium beers or so.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Good call. The Egremont will be your local. That's changed (massively for the better) since I was going there in the 1970s. If you are a runner then the Worthing parkrun starts and finishes a few yards from your door. If you are not a runner than this will be a great opportunity to become one.

I’m a lapsed runner, so this would be a good way to get me started again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m a lapsed runner, so this would be a good way to get me started again.

Brilliant. It' an out and back course and as flat as a pancake; one of the quickest in the south east. Very friendly too. Visit the parkrun site, register, get your bar code and rock up at 9.00 on a Saturday. This also affords you the pleasure of joining a bunch of NSC running anoraks on the Runners thread!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I lived in Tarring for a bit. Was quite nice. There was a nice pub in Tarring village.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Can’t really go wrong with Broadwater, Tarring or Findon Valley.

Contact Michael Jones Lettings or Rochelle or Sandra at Easylet.

Broadwater - nice family area, about 1 mile from town.
Tarring - bit villagey in feel, but generally just residential apart from shops towards West Worthing station.
Findon Valley might appeal to some, but it really depends whether you want to be near the sea and town. I personally wouldn't want to be out so far - and away from train station etc. So I guess it'd be useful to know more about what you have as red flags on location.

If you want to be relatively close to town centre and main station, I'd suggest there's lots of generally nice areas, both to immediate east, north and west of centre.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Good choice imo - like that part of town. Close to everything, and good part of seafront, with easy access to nice restaurants and places to drink. Parking probably the only ball ache unless using multi-story.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Findon Valley might appeal to some, but it really depends whether you want to be near the sea and town. I personally wouldn't want to be out so far - and away from train station etc. So I guess it'd be useful to know more about what you have as red flags on location.

We moved to Findon Valley for the school predominantly, but it suits us more than a central location as we're surrounded by the Downs - great for walking with the dog, trail running (when my knee works) and mountain biking. Simply we'd choose country over coast for immediate proximity, although one of the joys of Worthing is that you're never far from either.

We go months at a time without visiting Worthing town centre, and I can be at the railway station in less than 10 minutes in a cab/getting a lift or a little over half an hour if I walk, which I often do when the weather is kind and I'm not in a rush. If I was reliant on rail travel to get to work most days of the week, it would be more of a pain, although I know a few folk who do so.

I know we'll face a difficult choice when secondary school time comes, as that's the one big disadvantage Findon has. Our neighbours' son didn't get any of his three choices and was given the overspill school - St Andrews, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here