Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Liverpool Trains

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thanks. Got dead cheap for travelling up on Saturday and ok price for return Sunday.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone not booked a hotel needs to move quick. Most budget premier inn type places have sold out.

el punal

Cheap trains released today for Liverpool away. Don't hang about !

Thanks for the heads-up. Got an absolute bargain - Southampton to Waterloo £6.00, Euston to Liverpool Lime Street £11.20, Lime Street to Manchester Airport £4.75, Manchester to Southampton on Flybe £39.00. Back in time for Match of the Day!

Excuse me while I do my gloating gloater bit! :rave:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Last round of fixtures definitely not being moved - 3.00 pm Sunday13th May.

Is that confirmed?
I thought discussions are still ongoing. I read that they were still to decide between 1.00pm or 3.00pm on the Sunday. Didn't think they had made a decision yet?

el punal

Is that confirmed?
I thought discussions are still ongoing. I read that they were still to decide between 1.00pm or 3.00pm on the Sunday. Didn't think they had made a decision yet?

I must admit I haven't seen anything about the change of kick off times. On the Premier League site it still states that all matches played on the 13th May will start at 15.00. To be honest why would they want to bring the kick off times forward to 13.00 as it will cause huge disruption to fans travel arrangements as it will be Sunday services on all the transport networks. As it stands most people travelling from the South coast will be catching the first trains available and won't arrive in Liverpool until well after midday.

In addition to our long trip commitment you've also got, in the same boat (excuse the pun!), Southampton going to Man City, Everton at West Ham, Chelsea visiting Newcastle, Arsenal at Huddersfield, Bournemouth going to Burnley, and Swansea travelling to Stoke. Hardly just up the road jobs.

As it's the final round of fixtures for the season the stipulation is that ALL matches start at the same time so TV companies are not in a position to choose a date/time to suit their schedules. But as we're all long suffering football fans don't let common sense and logic get in the way of having our day out buggered up yet again

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Anyone with early-ish bookings out of Euston would be well advised to review their plans for getting to London on Sunday as there are all sorts of engineering works on the Southern network. I have just discovered, for example, that is impossible to get from Littlehampton to Victoria until 09:04 on Sunday morning. Not ideal when our train leaves Euston at 09:14. Now looking at getting a taxi to Arundel to pick up a 2.5 hour journey to Victoria which begins at 06:03 and includes a 70min bus ride from Pulborough to Three Bridges. Going to be a loooong day.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Driving up Saturday, coming back Monday

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Going up Saturday by train but not looking good for the return.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
How was everyones experience on the trains? It was interesting for me on the way up and absolute chaos on the return. Could not believe how many tourists travel up from London, I drove previously so it was a bit of a surprise to see. Must have been 50/50 fan balance on the way there. I was lucky enough to get to the station for 5-30pm for the return and joined the back of a wacking great queue snaking around the station to get onto the London bound train. Absolutely packed, no seats. Thought I'd upgrade to first class but packed there too so stood up or sat in the luggage racks. All due to London based Liverpool fans. The guard warned against changing at Crewe as the trains from Manchester were the same. Euston was full of Liverpool and Man Utd fans returning home, both teams playing at home 200 miles north. Really bloody weird. Some (2 or 3) had scouse accents and sounded like they were committed football fans. The rest looked like it was a tourist day out. Think I prefer the armchair fans that never go to the game, much less irritating.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
You’re going to regret asking me how my experience on the trains was….!

Because of engineering works, the only way I could get to my booked train from Euston was to cycle from LA to Ford and catch the 05:58 to Pulborough. That was where the fun began. The rail replacement bus driver didn’t have a clue where he was going, reversing up country lanes, taking wrong turnings and skipping Christ’s Hospital completely. I had to sit up front and talk him through the last bit from Crawley to Three Bridges. Managed to get a message to Southern, who promised to hold the train – turned out to be unnecessary as the connecting service was late anyway. Got to Euston with about 8 minutes to spare. Reservations hadn’t been loaded onto the system, so had to turf people out of our seats. Trip to Lime Street was uneventful, although I also got riled by the sheer number of plastic Scousers/Mancs. Hoped that was the end of the fun and games….but not to be.

Scrambled onto the 18:47 out of Lime Street, which was rammed as they had let too many people on without reservations. Naturally someone was in our seats so we had to turf people out again. Arrived late into Euston, so was left with only one option to get back to Ford. Train out of Victoria crawled into Three Bridges late and the station staff negated to hold the (last) replacement bus to Pulborough which left three minutes before our train got in. Dozens of stranded people, station staff absolutely useless. Resorted to social media (funny how often that gets a response) after which someone else appeared and told us to join a bus to Horsham, where onward travel would be arranged for us. Arrived at Horsham after midnight. Bit of negotiation between various station staff, resulted in cabs being ordered. These took nearly an hour to arrive as Southern can only use certain cab firms and ours had to come from Crawley, despite there being a cab rank outside the station. Taxi driver barely spoke any English and had Bangla music blaring at full volume all the way back to Ford (ca. 01:30). Cycled home in pitch darkness, got in just before 2am. Overall I was out of the house for 21 hours.

You did ask.

Oh, and we got spanked 4-0.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You’re going to regret asking me how my experience on the trains was….!

Because of engineering works, the only way I could get to my booked train from Euston was to cycle from LA to Ford and catch the 05:58 to Pulborough. That was where the fun began. The rail replacement bus driver didn’t have a clue where he was going, reversing up country lanes, taking wrong turnings and skipping Christ’s Hospital completely. I had to sit up front and talk him through the last bit from Crawley to Three Bridges. Managed to get a message to Southern, who promised to hold the train – turned out to be unnecessary as the connecting service was late anyway. Got to Euston with about 8 minutes to spare. Reservations hadn’t been loaded onto the system, so had to turf people out of our seats. Trip to Lime Street was uneventful, although I also got riled by the sheer number of plastic Scousers/Mancs. Hoped that was the end of the fun and games….but not to be.

Scrambled onto the 18:47 out of Lime Street, which was rammed as they had let too many people on without reservations. Naturally someone was in our seats so we had to turf people out again. Arrived late into Euston, so was left with only one option to get back to Ford. Train out of Victoria crawled into Three Bridges late and the station staff negated to hold the (last) replacement bus to Pulborough which left three minutes before our train got in. Dozens of stranded people, station staff absolutely useless. Resorted to social media (funny how often that gets a response) after which someone else appeared and told us to join a bus to Horsham, where onward travel would be arranged for us. Arrived at Horsham after midnight. Bit of negotiation between various station staff, resulted in cabs being ordered. These took nearly an hour to arrive as Southern can only use certain cab firms and ours had to come from Crawley, despite there being a cab rank outside the station. Taxi driver barely spoke any English and had Bangla music blaring at full volume all the way back to Ford (ca. 01:30). Cycled home in pitch darkness, got in just before 2am. Overall I was out of the house for 21 hours.

You did ask.

Oh, and we got spanked 4-0.

Which is why I drive!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Goodison Park was one of only two games which I drove to this season, it took me over an hour to get out of LA due to an accident in Arundel which had diverted everyone through town. 7 hours on the road just to get there. It can work both ways.....or maybe I'm just ridiculously unlucky!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here