Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kudos to our recruitment team

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can't think of a first team recruit that hasn't come off this season. Even Locadia scoring on his debut.

What a scouting network we have. If we stay up, I suspect we'll strengthen again and no reason to assume they won't do equally well. So much right about this club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is he a scout?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Lest we forget ....
Ryan ... too short/liability/Stockdale
The greyhound ... worst debut ever, ever ever
Gross, too slow
Propper, Dutch, bound to be shit/ quiet
Jose, moody south American, what were we thinking of
Locadia, desperate last ditch signing, injured, probably won't ever play for us
Krul, see Propper.
I just hope Steve Alzate turns out to be alright.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Our scouting successes go back a lot further than this season. Being a glass half empty type I feared for us after Ewan Chester went to Birmingham, and as usual there was nothing to worry about. We're blessed with an incredible behind the scenes set up - scouting, recruitment, coaching, physios et al. There can't be many teams who have been able to field pretty much their first choice eleven season on season as we have done, I mean look at Palace's injury list...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The recruitment over the last 3 years has been extraordinary, going back to King Kayal.

All of the incoming have proven worthwhile additions who have incrementally strengthened the squad.
It has been a masterclass in how to build a premier league squad on the quiet.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Can't think of a first team recruit that hasn't come off this season. Even Locadia scoring on his debut.

What a scouting network we have. If we stay up, I suspect we'll strengthen again and no reason to assume they won't do equally well. So much right about this club.

I agree totally.

Regarding next season, should we stay up, which positions do you think are most in need of an upgrade?

We have a fairly balanced looking squad, so would we be only looking to strengthen the supporting roles, Skalak and Rosenior perhaps? Possibly replace the aging Sidwell and Bruno? Or are we going to be ruthless and replace one or more first team regulars?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I think the interesting thing about our recruitment team is that they have knowledge of football outside the top 2 divisions of English football, and don't just look at players who played against us last season, or those in the twilight of their Premier League career. In short, they know what they are doing, whereas us fans haven't got a Scoobie... :lolol:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
If we stay up some definite upgrades required as we strive to become a permanent fixture in England’s elite division.

Left back - Bong and Suttner have done okay but plenty of room for improvement. Ideally someone more technically self assured who offers more going forward.

Right back - The ageing Bruno won’t have much left in the tank. The unorthodox Schelotto I’m still not convinced by. Offers a threat going forward but technically woeful and I’m not convinced by the defensive aspect of his game.

Centre mid - a stronger back five would give Propper more of a license to get forward with the addition of a better CM to partner him. A £20-25 mil bid for Werder Bremen’s Thomas Delaney should be enough to secure his signature.

Right Wing - like both Knockeart and March but feel we need an upgrade.

Striker - relatively cheap option will be Ulloa. Locadia as the preferred option playing off Pascal Gross, with the Argentian as back up.

Probably looking at £60-65 for all that. Not unreasonable given what we’ve already spent since promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC is so dull when the team are 12th, have amassed 31 points, and haven't lost since 20.01.18.
Made all the worse when palace have only won twice all year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we stay up some definite upgrades required as we strive to become a permanent fixture in England’s elite division.

Left back - Bong and Suttner have done okay but plenty of room for improvement. Ideally someone more technically self assured who offers more going forward.

Right back - The ageing Bruno won’t have much left in the tank. The unorthodox Schelotto I’m still not convinced by. Offers a threat going forward but technically woeful and I’m not convinced by the defensive aspect of his game.

Centre mid - a stronger back five would give Propper more of a license to get forward with the addition of a better CM to partner him. A £20-25 mil bid for Werder Bremen’s Thomas Delaney should be enough to secure his signature.

Right Wing - like both Knockeart and March but feel we need an upgrade.

Striker - relatively cheap option will be Ulloa. Locadia as the preferred option playing off Pascal Gross, with the Argentian as back up.

Probably looking at £60-65 for all that. Not unreasonable given what we’ve already spent since promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good points. For me :

GK - New contract for Krul, home grown replacement for Maenpaa ( Walton ? )

Defence - Hunemeier, Rosenior, Bruno and Bong are out of contract. Most will be replaced.

Midfield - Replace Sidwell with a signing like Delaney.

Wingers - Replace Skalak ( unless he takes his chance, and surprises a few when back from injury ).

Strikers - Leo in, Tomer out. Perhaps replace Baldock.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I would absolutely love Thomas Delaney, would really compliment the existing 2 we have at present and generally fits the profile of players we seem happy to sink a fair sum of money into.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What puzzles me is that we seem to get it right a lot more often than we get it wrong in terms of first team players but the development squad signings invariably disappear into a black hole never to be seen again.

I'd love to see one of those lads come through to become a first team regular.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I kn ow the game was virtually over and 3 points secured but Locadia came on did exactly what we have been missing this season, pick up a chance in the 6 yd box and put it away. think we could be chasing another striker in the summer again and possibly an AM.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree totally.

Regarding next season, should we stay up, which positions do you think are most in need of an upgrade?

We have a fairly balanced looking squad, so would we be only looking to strengthen the supporting roles, Skalak and Rosenior perhaps? Possibly replace the aging Sidwell and Bruno? Or are we going to be ruthless and replace one or more first team regulars?
Skalak, Rosenior, Sidwell, Bruno - the supporting roles; the U23s should be stepping up to be bench-warmers to replace these. Need a couple of big players, who are better than anyone we've already got. Don't know in what positions, though - could be anywhere. Maybe CM for me. need to improve he team, not the squad. IMHO.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I kn ow the game was virtually over and 3 points secured but Locadia came on did exactly what we have been missing this season, pick up a chance in the 6 yd box and put it away. think we could be chasing another striker in the summer again and possibly an AM.

Sorry BG, have you not noticed Glenn Murray doing precisely what you claimed we have been missing?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Lest we forget ....
Ryan ... too short/liability/Stockdale
The greyhound ... worst debut ever, ever ever
Gross, too slow
Propper, Dutch, bound to be shit/ quiet
Jose, moody south American, what were we thinking of
Locadia, desperate last ditch signing, injured, probably won't ever play for us
Krul, see Propper.
And don't forget overly negative Hughton being regularly out-managed by his opposite number (that particular nugget of NSC genius was worth a thread and a poll of its own)...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here