Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Palace, almost feel sorry for them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I never thought it was possible that Benteke could have this bad a season.

He is 27 and should be at his peak, historically a 2 in 5 ratio in the Prem.

it puts into perspective what a remarkable job Glenn Murray is doing this season, especially when you see other expensive strikers like Llorente, Bony, Martial, Carroll all struggling to score.

I have never thought Benteke had particularly good movement. He lacks a certain mobility and is best in the air. He needs plenty of space to score and is not that adept at finding it. Murray has much better positional sense and will get on the end of more chances.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do think this sort of thing should be reserved for once our safety is secure. Still a long way to go before I’m counting chickens.
You must be one of those that didn't revel in their 0 8 start to the season. I'm a bit cautious like you, but come on, enjoy it a little.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You must be one of those that didn't revel in their 0 8 start to the season. I'm a bit cautious like you, but come on, enjoy it a little.

They are 4 points below us with arguably an easier run in. I'd love to wallow in their demise but it's still far to close to not end up with egg on our faces come end of season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly but don't tell that to the Palace obsessives.
Beside themselves with joy when CP lost their first 7 games and then remarkably quiet when the revival kicked in and we struggled in December. Now we have a four point cushion, everything is rosy in the garden again. Lets see how chirpy fans are if we lose the next two and it starts to close up again.
We've got a much harder run in, I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish about us.

Palace will get players back and will improve. Lets secure safety and see final positions before claiming bragging rights.
But we're not claiming bragging rights (not all of us, at least), just enjoying their last minute defeat and current in fighting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They are 4 points below us with arguably an easier run in. I'd love to wallow in their demise but it's still far to close to not end up with egg on our faces come end of season.
If we're relegated, we'll be suffering regardless. If we're not, and they finish above us, I won't care. Survival is all we've been aiming for since the summer, while they've been aiming for Europe.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I don't think their run in is that great. I went through the remaining fixtures for all the teams from Watford down as being involved in the staying-up battle. I gave no point for games against the big six. I gave one point for any game against Burnley, Everton & Leicester. All the rest are 'six-pointers' and I classed them all as home wins. I ended up with Palace on 34 points (R) and us on 37. They have:
3 March – Manchester United (H)
10 March – Chelsea (A)
17 March – Huddersfield Town (A)
31 March – Liverpool (H)
7 April – Bournemouth (A)
14 April – Brighton (H)
21 April – Watford (A)
28 April – Leicester City (H)
5 May – Stoke City (A)
13 May – West Bromwich Albion (H)

Unless they win against the big six (which they do have a habit of doing), then they haven't actually got that many obviously winnable games. I've got them down to win no more points until we play them. And hopefully they'll be so demoralised by then that we'll be able to get a draw at least.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When you look at all the struggling teams, it is hard to find one that is so poor on paper as Palace sans Zaha. I still can't bring myself to believe Stoke and Saints will get relegated, which does leave Palace in the firing line. It is highly likely to depend on whether their talisman returns or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very happy with any situation which stops their gloating goons coming on to NSC.

So sorry for them ? No.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Spurs deserved the 3 points yesterday. Always disappointing to concede so late in the game but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Need to try and snatch a point or two against United and Chelsea then see where we sit for the final 8 games, hopefully will get some of the squad back fit for those final games. 12 injured at the moment ,Which would stretch any squad in football.

We battle on. :thumbsup:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think their run in is that great. I went through the remaining fixtures for all the teams from Watford down as being involved in the staying-up battle. I gave no point for games against the big six. I gave one point for any game against Burnley, Everton & Leicester. All the rest are 'six-pointers' and I classed them all as home wins. I ended up with Palace on 34 points (R) and us on 37. They have:
3 March – Manchester United (H)
10 March – Chelsea (A)
17 March – Huddersfield Town (A)
31 March – Liverpool (H)
7 April – Bournemouth (A)
14 April – Brighton (H)
21 April – Watford (A)
28 April – Leicester City (H)
5 May – Stoke City (A)
13 May – West Bromwich Albion (H)

Unless they win against the big six (which they do have a habit of doing), then they haven't actually got that many obviously winnable games. I've got them down to win no more points until we play them. And hopefully they'll be so demoralised by then that we'll be able to get a draw at least.

Admittedly, their next 5 are tough but with players back, they are capable of getting serious points from the last 5 games. I can see them getting 10 points from those games.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've got them down to win no more points until we play them.

Jeez that's optimism :lolol:

I hate to break this to you, but no matter how bad things get for Palace, they always find a way to grind it out and save themselves. It's just Fate, teasing us once again. In the frenzied, fiery apocalypse that is the Premier League relegation battle, Palace are the cockroaches: small, unpleasant to look at, nobody likes them, nobody wants them, but when all's said and done, they're always there, still rattling around infuriatingly, at the end.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Jeez that's optimism :lolol:

I hate to break this to you, but no matter how bad things get for Palace, they always find a way to grind it out and save themselves. It's just Fate, teasing us once again. In the frenzied, fiery apocalypse that is the Premier League relegation battle, Palace are the cockroaches: small, unpleasant to look at, nobody likes them, nobody wants them, but when all's said and done, they're always there, still rattling around infuriatingly, at the end.

Yep.
Got the feeling they will still snaffle enough points to survive.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
3 March – Manchester United (H) Draw
10 March – Chelsea (A) Lose
17 March – Huddersfield Town (A) Lose
31 March – Liverpool (H) Lose
7 April – Bournemouth (A) Draw
14 April – Brighton (H) Draw
21 April – Watford (A) Lose
28 April – Leicester City (H) Win
5 May – Stoke City (A) Lose
13 May – West Bromwich Albion (H) Win

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I certainly was.
I found it tough to revel in their ineptitude while the Albion were stumbling around as if someone turned the lights on after a 30+ year sleep.

Now I'm feel a lot more comfortable smugging them, and am enjoying this more than a little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here