Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Where to buy Ero's, for Spain holiday (going April)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I get mine from Sainsburys, order online and pop to my local shop to pick them up.

I can't be doing with all this card/ATM nonsense, nothing wrong with a pocket full of cash.

Do you still get paid in cash, then?

My behaviour doesn't change with regard to card use / cash wherever I am in the world. It just changes what card I use, which is a decision whenever I use a card anyway!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems to me a bit daft to be scrubbing around to achieve a pitifully better rate that probably works out at about the price of a pint over the course of most people's two week holiday spending money, then happily incurring more than that in charges by using a cashpoint machine abroad.

I've never paid a fee to use my Revolut card at a cashpoint abroad. :shrug:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I bank with Santander and just use my Visa Debit or Electron cards,get a good rate opting for transactions in Euros.Never had any problems anywhere in Europe/Canaries.And Brexit will not make any difference whatsoever-already checked!
And despite what some on here might think,I'm not a daft b****** or ever been charged 5 Euros :lolol:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Halifax Clarity card is fee free using the live MasterCard rate. I don't take anything other than that and a bit of emergency cash these days.

Absolutely this. They use the pure bank exchange rate with no spread. There's no charge for the card and if you set up the direct debit to clear it fully each month you pay no interest - except on cashpoint withdrawals - but its only charged from the date of transaction to when the direct debit clears it so not a huge cost. You can use cards so extensively even for small contactless transactions there is is little need for cash in most places these days in the developed world.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This thread saved my arse. I’d completely forgotten that I needed to get some Euros this weekend for my daughter’s school trip to Berlin.

1.109 was the rate I got in Thomas Cook as a walk up punter. Presumably not very competitive but as I only needed a small quantity I didn’t care.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Do you still get paid in cash, then?

My behaviour doesn't change with regard to card use / cash wherever I am in the world. It just changes what card I use, which is a decision whenever I use a card anyway!

Of course not but I don't like getting chiselled twice by using ATM machines on holiday, I'd much rather get a fistful of Euros from Sainos before I go.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Forgot to add, taking about £300..

Don't know where you are staying in Spain - but if it's Costa del Sol (and it very much isn't at the moment!) Rubens Money exchange in most of the major towns give a terrific rate. No matter how little or much you wish to exchange the rate is one cent below inter-bank rate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here