Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And hardly any home support left before the final whistle

Even I stayed. Only the second time this season.

I'll be out of there on 85 minutes, first game next season, though.

Huge_smiley_with_tongue_out.gif

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I know, I know it has been on this board so many times already. I also know the usual sentiment towards those who leave early.

Having waited for almost an hour to get on a park and ride at the last game I took my son to, then having got to my car doing the hour and a bit drive home, we got up and left a couple minutes early today. I didnt want to miss seeing Locadia score, but of course he did.

So what's the point of this post? When we got outside it struck me how many people were running... hundreds of people were running...either to the car park, the trains or the busses. I mean really running...in droves.

These people arn't running to make sure they miss last minute goals. They're running because getting out of the Amex is painful and no-one likes sitting in their car or waiting for a bus for an hour. Something must be able to improve the flow through. Dedicated bus lanes in and out of the stadium with more busses? Something.

As for the geniuses that text into BBC Sussex to grumble about people leaving early...most folks dont want to.

Has nobody thought that the family factor is very important consideration, Saturday evening is very important to other members of the family,also if there were any special highlites then it will be seen on Match of the Day -Simple

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sky just showed highlights of Cardiff v Watford, the home sections of the stadium were 80% empty in the final 15 minutes. Don’t blame those who left one bit. Not just an Amex phenomena.

Exactly. Leaving early has always been a traditional way to show your contempt for the team and/or performance.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Don't have to be on the losing side to leave early
Lots of people left the 1966 World cup early according to Gordon Banks.
He wasn't aware of how long left to play before the end of the game (not sure if he was referring to either full time or extra time)
But he knew it was close to the end of the game as he saw many people were streaming out of the stadium

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't have to be on the losing side to leave early
Lots of people left the 1966 World cup early according to Gordon Banks.
He wasn't aware of how long left to play before the end of the game (not sure if he was referring to either full time or extra time)
But he knew it was close to the end of the game as he saw many people were streaming out of the stadium

They may have been Germans

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rather different situation as to why so many leave The Amex early (maybe not of late, but generally so)...

Well not really, it's the same situation, it's just the numbers. If the performance is shit or boring then getting home earlier becomes more appealing. There are always people to whom getting home early is more important than supporting the team to the final whistle, and when you're watching your team lose 1-5 that percentage becomes quite sizeable!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well not really, it's the same situation, it's just the numbers. If the performance is shit or boring then getting home earlier becomes more appealing. There are always people to whom getting home early is more important than supporting the team to the final whistle, and when you're watching your team lose 1-5 that percentage becomes quite sizeable!

Loads leave the Amex very early when we’re winning, always have done. Large numbers from about the 70th, obviously to get to trains, park n ride buses and car parks early.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Loads leave the Amex very early when we’re winning, always have done. Large numbers from about the 70th, obviously to get to trains, park n ride buses and car parks early.

Precisely. 70 or 80 minutes is enough and then getting home becomes the priority. More feel like that when we're shit, and as you said earlier it's not just Brighton fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've already left Saturday's game. Leaving this early has not only meant I'm home, it also means I don't have to travel to the game either. :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Precisely. 70 or 80 minutes is enough and then getting home becomes the priority. More feel like that when we're shit, and as you said earlier it's not just Brighton fans.

Sorry, you now appear to be arguing with yourself? I said Brighton fans leaving early had little to do with poor football, which you disagreed with, but are now saying the opposite!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, you now appear to be arguing with yourself? I said Brighton fans leaving early had little to do with poor football, which you disagreed with, but are now saying the opposite!

No, my point is that everybody has a threshold after which they no longer want to support the team. For fans it's after the match has ended and they've clapped the team off, i.e. when the event is over and there is nothing left to support. For others it's when the desire to get away (for whatever reason) outweighs the desire to continue watching the game and/or supporting the team. A bad performance simply means that more people will leave the former group and join the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here