Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong's performance today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for passing forward and tackling Stephens managed no tackles and only 2 passes forward the whole of the second half but at least one was a goal.Neil McNab was called sideswipe, thinking of calling Dale back swipe.Would really like to see Gros play alongside Davy and put Locadia up top with Glenn.
You now I have problem, you've got some reading to do.

I'm not Team Stephens but he was much needed for me on Saturday.

Jnr (13) isn't as good a footballer as he thinks, but frustratingly he is a very good footballer.
Sadly though his opinion of himself stops him from reaching his full potential.
To him football is all about 30 second Youtube clips and 'awesome mega skillz'.

I watched the second half of his game on Sunday (post hot chocolate with Lil Miss Stat) where as usual he constantly tried to be the player he isn't, but laced that with a couple of sublime simple passes.
His first words after the game were "oh it's a shame you missed my Cruyff Turn, it was epic".

So that's the preamble as to why I insisted while we watched the game we made a point of studying Stephens.

In the first half DS was the very definition on consummate pro.
He did everything required of him, breaking up play, and moving the ball on.
He misplaced 2 passes and was also behind the play only twice.
Unsurprisingly he didn't perform a single 'skillz'.

Anyone wanting to drop Stephens and play Gross further back, has an odd appreciation of Saturday's, and the season as a whole, game.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You now I have problem, you've got some reading to do.

I'm not Team Stephens but he was much needed for me on Saturday.

Jnr (13) isn't as good a footballer as he thinks, but frustratingly he is a very good footballer.
Sadly though his opinion of himself stops him from reaching his full potential.
To him football is all about 30 second Youtube clips and 'awesome mega skillz'.

I watched the second half of his game on Sunday (post hot chocolate with Lil Miss Stat) where as usual he constantly tried to be the player he isn't, but laced that with a couple of sublime simple passes.
His first words after the game were "oh it's a shame you missed my Cruyff Turn, it was epic".

So that's the preamble as to why I insisted while we watched the game we made a point of studying Stephens.

In the first half DS was the very definition on consummate pro.
He did everything required of him, breaking up play, and moving the ball on.
He misplaced 2 passes and was also behind the play only twice.
Unsurprisingly he didn't perform a single 'skillz'.

Anyone wanting to drop Stephens and play Gross further back, has an odd appreciation of Saturday's, and the season as a whole, game.

An excessive, but less crude way I suppose, of saying he's talking shit.

You need to teach your boy the ordinary bits are what make football fun, which make the extraordinary that much better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An excessive, but less crude way I suppose, of saying he's talking shit.

You need to teach your boy the ordinary bits are what make football fun, which make the extraordinary that much better.
I'm really struggling with this.

For other reasons he has a wall around him and can't be anything other than the best and perfect, in his mind eye.
I can't praise him to a level he'll hear because he's already praised himself to a Messiesque level.
So I end up really frustrated because what he thinks is happening on the pitch and what actually happens couldn't be further from the truth.
But all of that comes with the even greater frustration caused by the moments when he's 'switched off' receives the ball, and plays a defence splitting, inch perfect, 30 yard pass.
A pass I know he takes no joy from because in his mind it didn't have a moment of flair that marks him out as the best (and considerably better than me at that, or any age).

Sorry about that. I bet you wished you'd never replied. :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

For other reasons he has a wall around him and can't be anything other than the best and perfect, in his mind eye.
I can't praise him to a level he'll hear because he's already praised himself to a Messiesque level.
So I end up really frustrated because what he thinks is happening on the pitch and what actually happens couldn't be further from the truth.
But all of that comes with the even greater frustration caused by the moments when he's 'switched off' receives the ball, and plays a defence splitting, inch perfect, 30 yard pass.
A pass I know he takes no joy from because in his mind it didn't have a moment of flair that marks him out as the best (and considerably better than me at that, or any age).

There is no way a parent can even begin to have that kind of influence over a 13 year old on a football pitch. In the meantime, as I am managing my daughter's u14 girls team and I might hazard a reasonably toned 'keep it simple' I merely get a stern look and a single finger to the lips. So while you're looking for Stevens-esque on the pitch, I am confined to Hughton-esque on the touchline.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

At 13, don’t worry about it. Let him show off. Within a couple of years you’ll see a real difference as he properly starts to understand what’s needed. The skillz he’s using now might still appear now and again (even Gross has his Cruyff turn), but he’ll work it out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is no way a parent can even begin to have that kind of influence over a 13 year old on a football pitch. In the meantime, as I am managing my daughter's u14 girls team and I might hazard a reasonably toned 'keep it simple' I merely get a stern look at a single finger to the lips. So while you're looking for Stevens-esque on the pitch, I am confined to Hughton-esque on the touchline.

I spend the game saying 'look up' while his manager shouts 'put some effort in'. :lol:

Jimmy Grimble

Wonder how much of it is an individual thing and how much a generational thing? As I remember watching Richard Carpenter at similar age and thinking I'd like to emulate parts of his playing style as a centre midfielder. He did score some screamers which probably helped.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is no way a parent can even begin to have that kind of influence over a 13 year old on a football pitch. In the meantime, as I am managing my daughter's u14 girls team and I might hazard a reasonably toned 'keep it simple' I merely get a stern look and a single finger to the lips. So while you're looking for Stevens-esque on the pitch, I am confined to Hughton-esque on the touchline.

Out of interest, which girls team is that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here