Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your own personal links to the Albion.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A distant family member was Adrian Thorne who played, and, once scored 5 goals in a game for the Albion in the early 60's

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My great grandfather used to make the balls for the Albion during the 30s and 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was in the next aisle but one from Bong and his family in Waitrose on Christmas Eve. (Amongst his purchases were two large baubles).

Graham Mosley showed concern after someone I was with was knocked unconscious by someone wielding a scaffolding plank on a night out in Brighton.

I went to college with Teddy Maybank's girlfriend.

When I was waiting to catch a ferry at Newhaven Brian Powney was filling up the dispensing machine. (Discovered later it was his own business).

19th October 2007: Stood next to Gus and Dennis Wise in a bar in East Street the night before Brighton played Leeds. Wise was holding court while Gus lurked in the background looking slightly uncomfortable. Gus struck me as quiet and unassuming. The next day Leeds beat us 1 nil which slightly tarnished the previous evening's memory.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Seeing everyone, will hopefully be a good mood tonight.
I was thinking what link do you have, as a fan to the Albion, it doesn't matter if it's tenuous or personal.
For me it would be I've played footy against Neil Smilie and been involved in a sports quiz v Albion players, way back in the 1980s.
I do know some on here have told me of their links, so I'll let them tell their stories. :thumbsup:

Billy Lane (manager in the 50/60s) lived very close by in Mill Croft, Westdene, and many years later Brian Horton lived in the last house before the path to the green by the windmill. As a young child, my son enthused over the rhubarb growing in BH's garden. . . . .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was in the next aisle but one from Bong and his family in Waitrose on Christmas Eve. (Amongst his purchases were two large baubles).

Graham Mosley showed concern after someone I was with was knocked unconscious by someone wielding a scaffolding plank on a night out in Brighton.

I went to college with Teddy Maybank's girlfriend.

When I was waiting to catch a ferry at Newhaven Brian Powney was filling up the dispensing machine. (Discovered later it was his own business).

19th October 2007: Stood next to Gus and Dennis Wise in a bar in East Street the night before Brighton played Leeds. Wise was holding court while Gus lurked in the background looking slightly uncomfortable. Gus struck me as quiet and unassuming. The next day Leeds beat us 1 nil which slightly tarnished the previous evening's memory.

Dennis Wise is a very, very very small man up close.
Stood next to him, in a pub in Uxbridge, mid 90s.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My Uncle Jack Vitty played for The Albion

Had Xmas dinner round Charlie Oatways place

Played footy with Peter Ward a few years back and put him clear though on goal and he turned and said to me “Great Ball “( we were 3-0 down but came back to win 4-3 and he scored all 4 )

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
From the club's OS... Edgar E

Formation

Professional football in the area was the brainchild of Edgar Everest, a Sussex Football Association official who founded Brighton United in 1897. Playing at the Sussex County Cricket Ground, the club collapsed in 1900. A high-class amateur side, Brighton & Hove Rangers, was formed in its wake but also folded after just one year.

But the will to provide the towns with a successful club was already strong. The former manager of Brighton United, John Jackson, was the driving-force behind a third club, Brighton & Hove United, which was formed as a semi-professional outfit on 24 June 1901 at the Seven Stars, a pub in Ship Street. The new concern changed its name to Brighton & Hove Albion before a ball was kicked because of objections from Hove FC.

Edgar Everest - my great grandad

IMAG0298.jpg

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Billy Lane (manager in the 50/60s) lived very close by in Mill Croft, Westdene, and many years later Brian Horton lived in the last house before the path to the green by the windmill. As a young child, my son enthused over the rhubarb growing in BH's garden. . . . .
Nobby lived at the top of my road and used to walk his Labrador passed our house and say hello to my Mum and me.

I am very proud to say that my father-in-law was Dick Knight's right-hand man and helped get rid of Archer and keep the club going as FD, both at Gillingham and for much of the tough times at Withdean.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I repaired a leak in Dick Knight's kitchen when he was Albion chairman.
He made me a decent cup of tea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here