Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your own personal links to the Albion.

Wrappo

Feb 2, 2012
Worthing
My wife's great grandfather was Jack Jenkins who played for the Albion and Wales as a defender in 1920's. His grandson is a season ticket holder

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I served Stuart Storer whilst he bought a pair of shinpads. I recognised him of course but kept it to myself. My boss started to make small talk with him 'So what team do you play for then?' expecting the usual pub team answer. I was cringing when he replied Brighton.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
My aunt was Mike Bamber's cleaner and I used to live next door to Chris Cattlin's rock shop.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I worked in Shades in 1979. One lunchtime a voice called to me as I was cutting lemons " 'ere chief, you got change for the cigarette machine?". I gave Lauro his change (for it was he) and he toddled of to buy his Rothmans. I was working with John (Aden) Gillett at the time. John had just graduated from Sussex and was about to go off to rada, and was a very funny guy. He said to me, all conspiratorial-like "Did you hear that? A million pounds just said (puts on Lancastrian accent) 'ere chief, you got change for the cigarette machine?'". John repeated this anecdote often and regularly during the 6 months of so that we worked there. I bumped into John at Priestfield in the late 90s - he still kept an eye on the Albion and went to the odd game. I have no idea what happened to Lauro.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I work with Kerry Mayo .... and Dean Wilkins' son.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worked in Shades in 1979. One lunchtime a voice called to me as I was cutting lemons " 'ere chief, you got change for the cigarette machine?". I gave Lauro his change (for it was he) and he toddled of to buy his Rothmans. I was working with John (Aden) Gillett at the time. John had just graduated from Sussex and was about to go off to rada, and was a very funny guy. He said to me, all conspiratorial-like "Did you hear that? A million pounds just said (puts on Lancastrian accent) 'ere chief, you got change for the cigarette machine?'". John repeated this anecdote often and regularly during the 6 months of so that we worked there. I bumped into John at Priestfield in the late 90s - he still kept an eye on the Albion and went to the odd game. I have no idea what happened to Lauro.....

I loved Shades. I was first an under-age patron in about 1982, the first of 100's of visits over the years, on a well trodden path to clubs. Not the same when a much later refit ripped out the wine bar bit.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My housemate at uni in Coventry is Brian horton's God son. This was 97-00 so he was our manager. He got me a shirt signed by the side.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At the centenary dinner, I looked so peculiar in my suit that when I started strolling about taking photos, people automatically thought I was an official photographer. So I have some cracking and unique photos (analogue sadly - may scan and post here at some point) where players and wives stood and posed for me. Had a nice chat with the FDM (chef). Rather embarrassingly told him he was our 'best ever' keeper (must have been before he stepped back over the line with the ball in his hands at Aldershot in the cup :facepalm::lolol:)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My best man worked in a pharmacy in Ditchling, and just before my wedding in 1999, Alan Mullery walked in. My mate got him to come back the next day and he signed an Albion card to me and the future missus. My wife hasn't really forgiven me for saying that it was the best thing about our wedding day!

Oh - and I once bought a stick of rock from Chris Cattlin.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Knew Mel Hopkins personally, I used to play football with his son, and Mel Coached us at Shoreham boys club in the early 80's
had a kick about briefly with Peter Ward in the Meads as a lad, he was walking through on his way home . . . . lived in Greenacres in Shoreham.
Had a pint with Steve Foster @ Shoreham FC when John Byrne and George Parris were playing for Shoreham about 12-13 years ago.
My mum had an interview for a secretarys job with Brian Clough, she hated him.

1st REMF match. Quite a night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I loved Shades. I was first an under-age patron in about 1982, the first of 100's of visits over the years, on a well trodden path to clubs. Not the same when a much later refit ripped out the wine bar bit.

Indeed. One of my brothers worked there after me, so he may well have served you :lolol:
John Gillett's older brother, Charles, also worked there for quite a few years.

I probably also posted bout the time I was working in the front bar one Saturday lunch time and about 30 ManU lads crept up to the bar as I was minding my own business cutting lemons (again) with my back to the room and, when I turned round at the sound of whispering, the whole lot started calling for lagers and lager tops. I had an instant horror face, and the lads all burst out laughing. I got some assistance and we had a cracking session. Most of the local lunch time drinkers legged it but some stayed and I could see them chatting with the Mancs. Convivial.

I loved working there. Best job I ever had (I used to say). Someone was sacked every week, for getting pissed on duty, or being late, or shortchanging the till. For anyone who worked there, do you remember 'Mrs D'? I'll say no more :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Growing up, my parents owned a dog boarding kennels in Shoreham where Peter Ward used to bring his Great Dane and leave it with us before a game and pick it up after the game. I seem to remember my parents were not very impressed as he expected to be able to pick the dog up in the evening, after business hours.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. One of my brothers worked there after me, so he may well have served you :lolol:
John Gillett's older brother, Charles, also worked there for quite a few years.

I probably also posted bout the time I was working in the front bar one Saturday lunch time and about 30 ManU lads crept up to the bar as I was minding my own business cutting lemons (again) with my back to the room and, when I turned round at the sound of whispering, the whole lot started calling for lagers and lager tops. I had an instant horror face, and the lads all burst out laughing. I got some assistance and we had a cracking session. Most of the local lunch time drinkers legged it but some stayed and I could see them chatting with the Mancs. Convivial.

I loved working there. Best job I ever had (I used to say). Someone was sacked every week, for getting pissed on duty, or being late, or shortchanging the till. For anyone who worked there, do you remember 'Mrs D'? I'll say no more :lolol:

That must have been a coach load from Essex.

Great times in the 80's - an awful lot of beer and fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here