Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ski Holidays - Deals ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
For the last few years, I've got the Family to all book a certain week off work and then booked a fully catered chalet through Iglu Ski about 3-4 days before. I've generally managed to get one at a big resort for £300-£350 a head. (Three Valleys, Paradiski, Tignes/Val d'isere etc).

I've just started looking and next week (leaving this Saturday) is more like £600-£700 :eek:

Has something happened to the prices this year as we go in 3 weeks and with the whole family, this is going to cost me an absolute fortune. Or does anyone have any alternatives (ideally fully catered or half board as I am old and need looking after !)

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
For the last few years, I've got the Family to all book a certain week off work and then booked a fully catered chalet through Iglu Ski about 3-4 days before. I've generally managed to get one at a big resort for £300-£350 a head. (Three Valleys, Paradiski, Tignes/Val d'isere etc).

I've just started looking and next week (leaving this Saturday) is more like £600-£700 :eek:

Has something happened to the prices this year as we go in 3 weeks and with the whole family, this is going to cost me an absolute fortune. Or does anyone have any alternatives (ideally fully catered or half board as I am old and need looking after !)

Haven't looked myself this year, but this outfit are worth a look

https://www.skibeat.co.uk/

based in Bond street coincidentally

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I usual book through here when skiing in Europe. https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp

Just go to the solutions room and put in where you want to go. The chalets will get back to you if they have room.
We usually book a cheap flight to Geneva months in advance then nearer the time post where you want to go.
Works every time fo us.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Nothing to do with the fact that the snow conditions are ideal at present for this time of year ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Brilliant snow conditions since early season and continued cold weather and snow forecast into March is what has happened.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Nothing to do with the fact that the snow conditions are ideal at present for this time of year ?

But the prices have been fairly consistent for the last 5-6 years and we've had good conditions before. Now the value of the pound will have an effect (let's not even go there :lolol:) but £600-£700 ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But the prices have been fairly consistent for the last 5-6 years and we've had good conditions before. Now the value of the pound will have an effect (let's not even go there :lolol:) but £600-£700 ?

Snow conditions haven’t been this good since about 2012. When the resorts get a good early season dump that’s topped up throughout Dec, Jan and Feb, then people will book their later season holidays with confidence that the snow isn’t going anywhere. As a result the tour operators don’t have to drop their prices.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Supply and Demand - Simples! Previously you've probably booked through a Tour Operator who charters their own aircraft and they've had plenty of late availability. This year better conditions so demand is higher, hence less late availability = higher prices. The days of cheap late deals are only really available with Companies that charter aircraft that need to fill the plane. Low cost and other carriers will never do a late deal as it undermines their business plan of cheap a long time in advance and book early.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Snow conditions haven’t been this good since about 2012. When the resorts get a good early season dump that’s topped up throughout Dec, Jan and Feb, then people will book their later season holidays with confidence that the snow isn’t going anywhere. As a result the tour operators don’t have to drop their prices.

On trips to the Alps, hoteliers/instructors etc all said this has been the best season for snow for 15 years or so.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Best season in years, all across the Alps and Dolomites. Western Alps (France and Switzerland) have had particularly heavy snowfalls. Austria, where we are, has had slightly less, but still plentiful. Winter Olympics have assisted late bookings.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Easter is also early this year so the last week of March will be a lot of families with kids which really only leaves 3 weeks in March, all adds to the supply & demand effect.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here