Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is there a more boring Premier League fixture than Huddersfield v Brighton?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wonder at what point we start attracting randoms from other parts of the country (or the world) who see us play once or twice on TV and then decide they are Brighton fans?

We all know people who mysteriously started supporting clubs that they have no connection with (outside of the really big teams). I wonder if Brighton achieved that in 1979-83 and if we will now?

Please let me present

Mr. Worcester Bong from the US!

DWfIEdeX4AEmgAl.jpg-large.jpeg

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
:thumbsup:

Actually there's already 4 regulars. I think one guy was too hungover for that game :lolol:

We're always looking to expand our newly formed Seagulls over Toronto group* though. I think we've had 4 others turn up on different occasions.

*Other name suggestions gratefully received.

Well I’m almost certainly moving over there by the end of the year, we’re just not sure where we’ll end up. But we know it will be in and around the GTA area, possibly closer down towards London.

Will definitely need a football fix when I move, so will let you know :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are people really surprised? Two teams with no premier league history playing each other in their first season. So what if we consider it a 'relegation 6-pointer'. That's because we're invested in one of the teams and want to stay up.

All the other teams (even ones we may consider dull like Watford or West Brom) have had multiple seasons to gain recognition from the international audience. Right now we are a 'they'll probably go straight back down' team in the eyes of distant fans, and thus not of interest. If we prove capable of staying in the division, we will gain more recognition and fans, some of whom may stick with us when we next go down.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You've just spoilt my comedy with unnecessary and unwanted facts. :censored:

:lolol: :wave:

I do apologise. I'm not normally someone who lets facts ruin a good joke.

You do raise an important point though. Canadians are a bit shit when it comes to drinking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do apologise. I'm not normally someone who lets facts ruin a good joke.

You do raise an important point though. Canadians are a bit shit when it comes to drinking.

I know. I lived in Vancouver for 4 years (82-6). Early on I was invited to a student party. BYOB. It started at 5.30 (pm that is). Someone strummed an acoustic guitar and sang kumbaya-ish tunes. Everybody stuck to their own beer. At seven we all went home.

I had been used to going out clubbing in London to dodgy venues where I'd rub (padded) shoulders with the (back then) unknown George O'Dowd and Billy MacKenzie.

I nearly lost the will to live - but soon discovered CITR, the Luv Affair, and all equilibrium was restored. And skiing, of course. Can't do that in Portslade. :smokin::rock::lolol:

I miss Canada sometimes....<sigh> All the best.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My version of Canadians is somewhat different, the ones I encountered thought BYOB was an all day, every day thing:drink:
We were just outside Cancun on holiday, so the need for various alcoholic beverages was the norm

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Stoke v WBA.
Usually any top 6 v top 6 is an overhyped load of crap too.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Burnley v Palace on a Monday night - combined viewers at ground and on Sky of abut 22,000

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Personally, I don't think that whether or not international TV audiences are drawn to a fixture is anything worth caring about.
If all they want to watch is Man Utd and Liverpool that's their problem.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Please let me present

Mr. Worcester Bong from the US!

View attachment 94425

I am 47 and look years older than Worcester Bong, who claims he is 59!
On the current level of information, it seems if your surname is Bong, your parents have to supply a whacky first name. Thinking about it, Dave Bong would be shit.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am 47 and look years older than Worcester Bong, who claims he is 59!
On the current level of information, it seems if your surname is Bong, your parents have to supply a whacky first name. Thinking about it, Dave Bong would be shit.

How about Bing?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I wonder at what point we start attracting randoms from other parts of the country (or the world) who see us play once or twice on TV and then decide they are Brighton fans?

We all know people who mysteriously started supporting clubs that they have no connection with (outside of the really big teams). I wonder if Brighton achieved that in 1979-83 and if we will now?

I am surprised by the number of Turks that know a lot about Brighton,and in the group I go out with I now have a ManCity supporter,a Southampton supporter and a Preston supporter all watching the Brighton games

larus

:thumbsup:

Actually there's already 4 regulars. I think one guy was too hungover for that game :lolol:

We're always looking to expand our newly formed Seagulls over Toronto group* though. I think we've had 4 others turn up on different occasions.

*Other name suggestions gratefully received.

TORontos Exiled Top Seagulls - aka TORETS. (Yes, I know it’s the wrong spelling).

At least you’d have an excuse for all the swearing at the TV.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here