Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coventry Fans

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Your view of a club's fans depends on who you happen to run into / share a train carriage with. I didn't bump into any good humoured Cov fans, but I did share a train carriage with a bunch of aggressive tw@ts. So that's how I'll remember them...

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Anyone could in theory win the Charity Shield but Coventry - and so many other fans - can never ever rejoice in winning the Sussex Senior Cup. I bet they would be mortified to be told that.

Even better than that, we won the Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup in 1985, beating the favourites, Oxford United.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The BBC are developing a habit of misleading headlines that change a quote or give misleading information as to the content of an article/video. Their video caption is 'We're awful but I love it', which at no point does he say. He says being a Coventry fan is awful, which changes the meaning substantially, especially if you have a basic understanding of the context in which it was said. I notice many similar examples every week on the BBC website. It's annoying.

There was also an article posted prior to our game - Brighton v Coventry City - can the Seagulls' story give the Sky Blues hope? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42944988) which contains the following:

By the time Coventry themselves left their own long-time home Highfield Road to move to the Ricoh Arena in 2005, Brighton's home was the meagre 8,850 capacity Withdean Stadium, a converted athletics stadium.

Not ideal after 95 years at the Goldstone Ground, but certainly an improvement on two seasons of making that trek to Priestfield. And, all this time, the relentless fans carried on campaigning, eventually got listened to, attracted interest from worthwhile investors and finally had a new 30,000 all-seater stadium built for them back in their own town.

There are a few inaccuracies there, but in particular I was left wondering who these 'worthwhile investors' we had suddenly attracted the attention of were. Not a single mention of Tony Bloom in the entire article.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Best and loudest away support of the season I thought.

Group of friends came down for the weekend and joined us in NS concourse for a couple afterwards. A good day was had by all.

They have pretty much given up and know they are going nowhere under their current ownership; was just a bit surprised that they weren't more vocal about getting rid of their owner. Similar plight to poor old Charlton.

A Coventry fan on the train said they were disappointed by the lack of noise they made. :shrug:

I expected them to be louder for longer periods. They made a bit of noise a couple of times but it didn't go on for long. I too was surprised about the lack of chants about their owners.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The ebb and flow of club and fan fortunes help make football the game it is. I remember going to Highfield Road to watch us....... I think we got a draw........!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A Coventry fan on the train said they were disappointed by the lack of noise they made. :shrug:

I expected them to be louder for longer periods. They made a bit of noise a couple of times but it didn't go on for long. I too was surprised about the lack of chants about their owners.

My thoughts exactly. They were quiet for the best part of an hour. I'm sure our goals and outplaying them was a killer to their dreams. I also thought the 4,500 would also use the big occasion to highlight their plight under SISU.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I wasn't there but can't comment. I do remember them from the Withdean days though, & they were complete hampton's then.
Should of used their big day out to highlight their plight; but seems like the only sisu out banner was in our end!
Not exactly fighting for their club much.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
My thoughts exactly. They were quiet for the best part of an hour. I'm sure our goals and outplaying them was a killer to their dreams. I also thought the 4,500 would also use the big occasion to highlight their plight under SISU.

Didn’t sound that way to me, near the half way line - far louder than us for most of the game

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I thought the same instead of homophobic chants and hoping we go down thought they might use the day better gaining our support for a situation that we are all too familiar with

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Mouthy coming out of the ground lucky most of our fans are soft as ****

I don't think that is necessarily the case. Most fans just want to leave the ground peaceably and do not have a testosterone point to prove with the away fans. I suspect that the majority would stand their ground for the right reasons.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Mouthy coming out of the ground lucky most of our fans are soft as ****

Take a good look at other Albion fans in the train queue; it's not a question of soft, more a case of a very high percentage of old people, women and kids. i.e. whether you like it or not we are a family club and that's how we fill our stadium. It's embarrassing when you get Coventry's answer to Danny Dyer trying to provoke a fight with a carriage full of over 65s and under 12s...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here