Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Fullers buy Dark Star

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I must admit I don't know the full ins/outs of this but are Fullers *that* bad ? Still only a national brewer that does a lot right?

I'm surprised Dark Star needed to take this as investment though, I've known some breweries grow very quickly and become nationally successful taking funding from banks etc, rather than having to sell out? Could they not have done that. Always like the family feel of Dark Star with some of their pubs, their summer party etc.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

giphy.gif

To be fair. There are worst brewers to be getting into bed with.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I must admit I don't know the full ins/outs of this but are Fullers *that* bad ? Still only a national brewer that does a lot right?

Whilst not as bad as Greene King, I believe they still tend to close the brewery and move operations to Chiswick, as they have done with Gales and Youngs (yes I realise that was already in London).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Whilst not as bad as Greene King, I believe they still tend to close the brewery and move operations to Chiswick, as they have done with Gales and Youngs (yes I realise that was already in London).

Youngs was merged with Charles Wells up in Bedford in 2006, so nothing to do with Fullers. They did close the Wandsworth Brewery as it was hugely valuable Real Estate. Occasionally drive by there and nothing much seems to happened as yet, presume much of it has Listed status?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blast! Hope this is not the usual dumbing down acquisition in which Fullers buy the rights to produce the Dark Star beer range but just cherry pick and actually only brew a couple.

They've stated that brewing will continue at Partridge Green.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They've stated that brewing will continue at Partridge Green.
My fear is they just brew Hophead and APA and roll them out as national beer's like Tribute, Doom Bar and London Pride. The sheer volume of that required means that's all they have room to brew.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fullers beer is rank, Dark Stars is not - hope it stays that way

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Youngs was merged with Charles Wells up in Bedford in 2006, so nothing to do with Fullers. They did close the Wandsworth Brewery as it was hugely valuable Real Estate. Occasionally drive by there and nothing much seems to happened as yet, presume much of it has Listed status?

That would explain why the pint of Winter Warmer I had in January tasted nothing like what I expected - previous one would have been about 20 years ago.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fullers beer is rank, Dark Stars is not - hope it stays that way

Gale's HSB is not. It's a lovely tipple.

I understand Fuller's have a responsible attitude towards the beers they buy. They are not just seeking to buy the brands and ditch the ale.

Thank goodness they have said they will continue to brew in Partridge Green. However, there will need to be expansion plans if they are to maximise Fuller's distribution and that is going to mean brewing in multiple locations or expanding Partridge Green.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Inevitable that these acquisitions will become more common in time due to the larger newer brewers becoming so successful.
(Not that Dark Star are that new now)
You only need to look at how it’s gone in the States -

Certain people at Dark Star were always more interested in just growing for growing sake ( cynic - more dosh ) and maybe taking their eye off the ball somewhat in the actual brewery. Look at the history of who has left the company.
There was a time when their APA was one of the top beers in the country but others have caught up now so I wouldn’t worry about whether Fullers f.uck them up or not. I don’t think they will though, they only seemed concerned with shite food in their shite pubs down here.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People that drink ale are weird

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
They did close the Wandsworth Brewery as it was hugely valuable Real Estate. Occasionally drive by there and nothing much seems to happened as yet, presume much of it has Listed status?

I know that the shareholders who wanted Young's to sell thought that the site would be of interest to the owners of that awful shopping centre opposite – an opportunity to build something afresh. Surprised it's not happened though there are some lovely buildings on that site and very possibly have some protection.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've had dealings over the years with both companies and there are nice, well motivated people in both camps.

I hope Dark Star gets to retain its identity and individuality though when bigger breweries buy smaller ones the outcome isn't always as cheery as it seems at first. The "synergies" and "great opportunities to reach a broader audience through increased volumes" often come along a little later.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gale's HSB is not. It's a lovely tipple.

I understand Fuller's have a responsible attitude towards the beers they buy. They are not just seeking to buy the brands and ditch the ale.

Thank goodness they have said they will continue to brew in Partridge Green. However, there will need to be expansion plans if they are to maximise Fuller's distribution and that is going to mean brewing in multiple locations or expanding Partridge Green.

They ditched Gales Bitter because they felt it was too close in flavour to their London Pride. Not sure HSB has ever been the same since brewing moved to Chiswick either. The award winning Gales Festival Mild they also ditched using spring water to make it, thus effecting the taste. Was more a case of asset stripping, selling off the Horndean Brewery site for housing etc. etc.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Damn ... and Hophead was my favourite beer too. Hopefully won't have to find a replacement but if I do then happy to switch to Long Man Long Blonde and/or Copper Hop

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Damn ... and Hophead was my favourite beer too. Hopefully won't have to find a replacement but if I do then happy to switch to Long Man Long Blonde and/or Copper Hop

(Edit: Been involved in lots of acquisitions. Logic is .. we buy the little company because it extends our range, opens up new markets etc. After 'n' days, acquiring business is all over the little guy 'transforming them into ......... well, a mirror of their business ... all in the interest of efficiency seemingly)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Show's what I know!

Re the brewery, I've been working on a planning application for an adjacent site. Not surprised it's taking ages as it's a very difficult site to develop, for various reasons including particularly bad air quality (my area).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The award winning Gales Festival Mild they also ditched using spring water to make it, thus effecting the taste.

That was a big loss, used to love a drop of Gales Mild.

I'm surprised that Fullers kept HSB going, wouldn't it have been rather similar to their ESB?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here