Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A small piece in praise of the Albion's cycling facilities.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's time football started to take cycling seriously

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...me-football-started-to-take-cycling-seriously

A notable exception is Brighton and Hove Albion, who have one of the newer stadiums that take cycling seriously. Although the Amex is a little way out of town, it is very well signposted and has proper cycle parking. When I visited there last season, I even found some home fans to cycle in with.

Strange how this Norwich fan omitted to mention the result. :lol:

Here's the link to the healthy stadia site which contains the Albion's 'Active Travel Case Study', presentation:-

http://healthystadia.eu/active-travel-guidance/

Whoops nearly forgot:-
Naturally cycling is made easier because we don't have to stop at red lights or pay road tax.

Phew that's better.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There was an explosion in the number of cyclists riding to matches after SASTAs performance last year.Extra cycle stands were put in and all seem to be used. Many seem to have kept cycling to the stadium this season. Anyone know how many regularly get to the Amex this way?

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Two wheels is the best way to get there. I used to ride over on the scooter in the winter as well. Sadly, the Vespa has now gone. Nowadays, when the weather is good, I'm on the pixie whenever I can. Lots of facilities, and access is great.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There was an explosion in the number of cyclists riding to matches after SASTAs performance last year.Extra cycle stands were put in and all seem to be used. Many seem to have kept cycling to the stadium this season. Anyone know how many regularly get to the Amex this way?

The Active Travel Case Study in the second link has cycling at only 0.6%, 2 seasons ago, which still shows a .2% increase.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I cycled from the Amex to Carrow Road for the 3-3 draw under Hyypia a few years ago, the cycle facilities here are far better than there I can assure you!

In the last few years, I've cycled to about 90% of the games I've attended, it's the best way. The cycle lanes on Lewes Road encourage cycling there and there are plenty of places to park up. I usually stay the other side of the footbridge so I can hop on the A27 immediately afterward without having to battle through the crowds on the walk down to the Bridge car park.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm hoping that the Brighton Bike Share scheme will build a docking station there or at Falmer station.

*EDIT*

Just seen there are docking stations at Sussex & Brighton uni campuses so probably wouldn't happen. Pity!

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
"so I can hop on the A27 immediately afterward without having to battle through the crowds on the walk down to the Bridge car park." - like the idea of avoiding the crowds, but isnt the dual carriageway a bit scary, on the bit without the cycle lanes?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Done it a few times with junior and it's a doddle. Would recommend it heartily. Just don't have a skinful before you ride back along Lewes Road.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Done it a few times with junior and it's a doddle. Would recommend it heartily. Just don't have a skinful before you ride back along Lewes Road.

That's my son, by the way, not the Mama Used To Say singer from the 80s nor the Brazilian footballer of the same name...

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The Active Travel Case Study in the second link has cycling at only 0.6%, 2 seasons ago, which still shows a .2% increase.

So around 150-200 per match I guess. There must be others who cycle to a station and get the train, but the survey does not seem to capture those.

Given the club has a financial incentive to increase the numbers cycling rather than taking the bus or train, I wonder what they could do to achieve it?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'm hoping that the Brighton Bike Share scheme will build a docking station there or at Falmer station.

*EDIT*

Just seen there are docking stations at Sussex & Brighton uni campuses so probably wouldn't happen. Pity!

The scheme seems to be expanding quite rapidly so I suspect this will happen in due course. Seems silly that it's sponsored by Amex but there are no docking stations at the Amex.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone remember the name of the event the club put on for cycling to the AMEX, from the Level?
Or ideally find the Argus story.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I suggested this when stadium opened.

Given that cyclists don't make use of the travel subsidy the club could encourage them by having a steward hand anyone locking up their bike a soft drink voucher.
Cost per person less than 50p, (ok possible lost sale at £2.20), plenty of goodwill and cycling encouraged.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I suggested this when stadium opened.

Given that cyclists don't make use of the travel subsidy the club could encourage them by having a steward hand anyone locking up their bike a soft drink voucher.
Cost per person less than 50p, (ok possible lost sale at £2.20), plenty of goodwill and cycling encouraged.

The travel subsidy may not be used on that ticket but the club still pays for it regardless, I believe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So around 150-200 per match I guess.

Like bikes on the train, it only really works in really small numbers. That's why the trains ban bikes for about 36 hours either side of the London-Brighton Bike Ride.

Would be marvellously entertaining to see the Amex try and cope with 30,000 punters arriving by bike. Or even 3,000 :lol:

0806_PMC-group.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here