Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Grandparents

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you're lucky enough to have grandparents, do yourself a favour and spend as much time as you can with them, whether in person or by giving them a call or whatever else is appropriate to your circumstances.

Trust me, you'll miss them when they're gone.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you're lucky enough to have grandparents, do yourself a favour and spend as much time as you can with them, whether in person or by giving them a call or whatever else is appropriate to your circumstances.

Parents too, keep well Frutos

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Wise words. I had no relationship with my Mum's parents at all, and my Dad's father was lovely but died when I was very young.

Will be entirely different for my teenage lads. My wife's parents are local to us, so they see them at least twice a week, and we all stay with my parents in Brighton, before or after every Albion home game (and travel to and from the Amex with them - both STH).

We constantly remind our boys how lucky they are to have close relationships with all 4 grandparents.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If only you could get that message across to my daughter - she won't allow her daughter (5 next month) to know she's even got a grandad.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wise words, Frutos.

I phone my Grandma every evening (she's been widowed since just before Christmas), and I probably enjoy our chats even more than she does.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I didn't know my Dad's parents as his Mum died when he was 8 of diptheria (but her sister, my great Aunt took her place) and his Dad, of pneumonia when he was 17. This was the reality of pre-war2 life.
I do remember my Mum's parents, but as my parents divorced when I was 8, & my Dad got custody of me, I didn't see very much of them. Grandad died when I was 9, and my Nanny lived to 84, but was in a home for much of that time.

I'm now a grandmother myself, and have seen quite a bit of my grandchildren, although my ex son in law, contrives to keep my granddaughter away from me, having lied and turned her away from my daughter.

When I was away from Sussex, I used to make sure we visited my Dad, at least twice a year, and saw my inlaws every week.

There's an old saying, it takes a whole family to raise a child, and we should try as much as we can, to all help each other.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My Grandparents were the first people I phoned up an spoke to after we won Division Two :albion2:

After my Granma died I'd regularly ring Grandad from wherever I was in the country following the Albion. I miss that...

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
True words, my grandad was a great man. A Burma POW in WW2, fireman, father to 5 daughters. I wish spoke to him more about his life when I had the chance. Unfortunately he died when I was 18, I never really appreciated what he had been through until later in life.

Unfortunately it works both ways, my wife's parents don't seem that interested in our kids.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Good post.

What's nice is that NSC has always seemed to function as a sort of help centre for some granddads. It's good to think we have that community role.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Hope you're doing ok Frutos.

My English Nan was one of the sweetest most patient people I think I've ever known. I was only 11 when she died but I've never forgotten her. Unfortunately didn't see enough of my Spanish grandparents as I hit teenage years and then, as I was all set to move to Spain, and go see my Spanish nan for the first time in years, she passed away.

Feel a bit bad I left it so long to have a child, my mum and dad are already in their 70s, and his other Nan died a month after he was born. Hope he gets the chance to have some good memories of his 3 remaining grandparents.

D

Deleted member 22389

Loved my grandfather, always used to be on my team and give my dad a good telling off. Both gone now. Albion through and through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here