[Football] Delph sending off v Wigan

What was the tackle for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My whinge about the Stephens decision was that the ref changed his mind on seeing the severity of the injury (never the right way to judge a foul), and that he did nothing about Ramirez hitting his hand.

How I remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

The problem with that clip is that it doesn't show Taylor initially getting out the yellow card, writing something on it, then after being surrounded by Wigan players and suddenly showing Delph a red. You can make an argument for it being a red or yellow card but that's not the issue. The big question is why did Taylor very clearly change his mind?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The problem with that clip is that it doesn't show Taylor initially getting out the yellow card, writing something on it, then after being surrounded by Wigan players and suddenly showing Delph a red. You can make an argument for it being a red or yellow card but that's not the issue. The big question is why did Taylor very clearly change his mind?

Writing doesn't show up very well on a red card?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I can see why the ref sent him off, Voted orange.

Delph has always had a bit of a nasty streak in him, Not the first time he has gone in over the top.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I dont have an issue with a ref changing his mind, it should be encouraged if he believes they are wrong.

Its how or why he came to that decision, was something said by the 4th official?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
As far as I'm concerned, anyone insisting that was straight red who also whinged about the Stephens/Boro decision as a complete hypocrite.

Specsavers Opticians, Surrey Quays.

Tel No; 020 7064 6590.

I hope they can help you.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I dont have an issue with a ref changing his mind, it should be encouraged if he believes they are wrong.

Its how or why he came to that decision, was something said by the 4th official?

I can see where you're coming from about him changing his mind but to have done everything but wave the yellow card, and then give a red after being surrounded by Wigan players, ruins his credibility in the game. If he was that unsure, he should have left the yellow in his pocket while he considered the situation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Specsavers Opticians, Surrey Quays.

Tel No; 020 7064 6590.

I hope they can help you.

Public opinion is split broadly along the lines: two thirds thought it worthy of a red, one third thought it worthy of a yellow. That is reflected on here and the relevant BBC sport HYS.

You acting all high and mighty over this is simply because I called you out for your childish German bell-endery yesterday. Sorry, you're still a complete cock. Carry on.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Public opinion is split broadly along the lines: two thirds thought it worthy of a red, one third thought it worthy of a yellow. That is reflected on here and the relevant BBC sport HYS.

You acting all high and mighty over this is simply because I called you out for your childish German bell-endery yesterday. Sorry, you're still a complete cock. Carry on.

You try to help some people but, .....:shrug::shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What difference does it make whether it is two footed? The law of the game actually states:

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

People seem to suggest that as long as its not two footed then its only a yellow. That is not the correct application of the laws. The only reason you think that challenge last night is not a red is because a) you believe it wasn't excessive force or b) it wasn't endangering the opponent - whether it was two footed isn't a test as to which card it is.

It makes a big difference because it's impossible to be in control of a two footed challenge and it will always be deemed as excessive force, therefore if it's two footed there can't be any debate whether a challenge used excessive force.

This was borderline either way, hence the debate.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Wow, several people voted for "Not even a booking, he won the ball".

He doesn't even know where the ball is, after the tackle!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It makes a big difference because it's impossible to be in control of a two footed challenge and it will always be deemed as excessive force, therefore if it's two footed there can't be any debate whether a challenge used excessive force.

This was borderline either way, hence the debate.

I was only responding to your post that said you reviewed the footage it wasn't two footed like you thought, therefore it wasn't a red. I agree with your statement above, just not what you said before.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've just watched it again where they replay it from different angles. I'm no longer sure that it was two footed. When I watched it earlier it was the camera shot directly behind Delph which makes it look like a two footed jump. The other angles show that his back foot was actually trailing, so I've changed my mind - yellow card.

Both feet were off the ground immediately prior to impact, by the look of it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I was only responding to your post that said you reviewed the footage it wasn't two footed like you thought, therefore it wasn't a red. I agree with your statement above, just not what you said before.

I think we're more or less on the same page on this, I didn't explain my previous post very well.

I've changed my mind about 3 times as to whether he was in control or not. I can see arguments either way, but having watched it again multiple times he looks like he's jumping into it. He takes the ball with his trailing foot meaning he had to have gone through the player first.

I'm glad I'm not a ref.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
A good, solid traditional challenge.
Unless football is becoming a non contact sport then barely even a yellow.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wow, several people voted for "Not even a booking, he won the ball".

He doesn't even know where the ball is, after the tackle!

I think it rather depends upon whether you see football as a contact or a non contact sport. If the former then there will be challenges that look bad to the delicate modern eye but where in reality the players could dust themselves down and get on with it. If that was a red card then if I played now I would be sent off every match !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here