Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Agree, Poll needed

Grahampoll.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Definite red, if you're going to commit to those sort of tackles, you have to expect the worst.
Punchy Pep, definitely sees red!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree with Shearer. Too harsh. Should have been a booking. Wigan player made a meal of it. Affected the game. Bad result for us. Needed City fighting on four fronts in April, when we next play them

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My gut instinct at the time was straight red and I was surprised when the ref began brandishing a yellow, he should have had the red out from the off. Delph took off way too far from the Wigan player to be in total control and one foot was up. You just cannot get away with challenges like that in the game today, ironically just the sort of challenge wants his players protected from.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Letter of the law defines it as a red; reckless, and excessive force.

Winning the ball or not is utterly meaningless as to whether it’s a red or not, might as well factor what colour shirt he was wearing at the same time, it’s of as much relevance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Letter of the law defines it as a red; reckless, and excessive force.

Winning the ball or not is utterly meaningless as to whether it’s a red or not, might as well factor what colour shirt he was wearing at the same time, it’s of as much relevance.

Exactly this. There really is no debate over it

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bit harsh, can see why he did it though. VAR would have made this boring

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Ref bottled it under peer pressure. Yellow. Same as at Middlesbrough. Disgrace.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wigan player made a meal of it. Affected the game.

Really?

He had just been absolutely clattered. He wasn't rolling around, he wasn't waving imaginary cards, he was simply in the heap that Delph's challenge had left him in.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree with Shearer. Too harsh. Should have been a booking. Wigan player made a meal of it. Affected the game. Bad result for us. Needed City fighting on four fronts in April, when we next play them

I doubt it impacts on us at all. They're 16 points clear, they might have their hands on the PL trophy before our rescheduled game. We might be playing a changed XI as they get ready for Champions League action. Anyway, not sure the Etihad is on many people's list of potential survival points...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ref bottled it under peer pressure. Yellow. Same as at Middlesbrough. Disgrace.

Totally different challenge to Stephens, the only similarity is the refs seemingly had a yellow out at first. Stephens wasn't going in with excessive force or out of control, it was a freak clash resulting in the nasty gash - but that wasn't due to any recklessness on Stephens part. Delph's challenge was completely different, he sprinted then launched into the challenge with as much force as he could muster.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Straight Red for me.

Pep wants his players protected... can you imagine his reaction had that been on one of his players.... we would never hear the end of it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Didn’t think it was a red - was the mythical Orange card.

Not one you can blame the ref for though either way - red or yellow.

Thought he lost control of the game in the second half.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It is out of control and dangerous - Delph can have no complaints at all. If the ref had taken a few seconds more to consider the decision, before getting out his yellow, we wouldn't even be having any debate - that was a mistake on his part and left him open to accusations of having been influenced by the Wigan players (when in reality he will have been listening to advise from his well-positioned assistant on the near side).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here