Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Delph sending off v Wigan

What was the tackle for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think a player should be sent off for that so voted 'orange'. But, as things stand, correct to give a red card - both feet off the ground as he initially went into the challenge so can't have been in control.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh goody, another Graham.

Not sure about the Delph, but later on the Wigan lad went in studs up after getting the ball and should have been sent off.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Red for me, he went into that challenge knowing that the opposition player was going to get there around the same time as him (who managed to stay on his feet in doing so) and by going in the way that Delph did, he knew his momentum would mean that he goes straight through where the Wigan player would be, and that it could easily be a challenge that left him injured and out of the game (then add in that it was high with his foot up too)

No need for him to be off his feet there, the only reasons you would go in like that are: you know you will be second to the ball if you stayed on your feet, to try to put the other player off from trying to win it, or to injure your opponent (i don't think it was the last reason in this case but here was always going to be an element of that if the Wigan player didn't pull out of the challenge)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Looked feet/studs up to me and whilst he did not do any damage he could easily have and at that point it has to be a red i.e. had he broken the players leg there would be no debate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As far as I'm concerned, anyone insisting that was straight red who also whinged about the Stephens/Boro decision as a complete hypocrite.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Modern football, modern interpretation of the rules, it's a straight red all day long.

The added irony being that this is exactly the punishment that Pep asked the refs to dished out for such challenges only a few weeks ago.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just a tackle to let the opposition know you are here for the likes of Norman Hunter and Ron Harris, where the ref wouldn't even have spoken to them. Today a red

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just a tackle to let the opposition know you are here for the likes of Norman Hunter and Ron Harris, where the ref wouldn't even have spoken to them. Today a red

I do think we may have gone to far the other way, but I can’t be alone in thinking Football is better with out these tackles...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ref bottled it under peer pressure. Yellow. Same as at Middlesbrough. Disgrace.

No. He used the yellow card to write his name on, put it away and then produced the red. It wasn't like Middlesbrough.

People have been saying it wouldn't have been a red ten years ago, but I distinctly remember Richard Carpenter being sent off at Luton in the Southern final of the JPT, for an identical tackle/foul. Leading leg, off the ground with studs up. Red all day long.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
As "Reckless" as Dale Stephens vs Middlesboro', so yes a Red for me!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I never saw Norman Hunter break anyone's leg or leave them in a heap like that. Yes, they were robust, but blades on boots, and flimsier boots now make injuries more serious.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A player been sent of can spoil a game (not in this case )With a straight red i think ref has to be 100% certain it is violent conduct and this was not. Poor challenge not dangerous.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No. He used the yellow card to write his name on, put it away and then produced the red.

Whilst he did undoubtedly do that - I'm not sure that was his intention when he first pulled out the yellow, but only the ref himself will know that.

How many other times have we seen a ref, who is going to produce a red, pull out a yellow first in that way? I can't recall it ever happening and although someone may come along and give an example, I think we all know that when we've seen a straight red given at games, it's not been preceded by a yellow "for taking the name" first.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It would be nice to know what he was sent off for, was it the tackle? Did he say/do something after?

Just so odd he got the yellow out first.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A player been sent of can spoil a game (not in this case )With a straight red i think ref has to be 100% certain it is violent conduct and this was not. Poor challenge not dangerous.

Violent conduct is something else completely.

Serious foul play
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses
excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As far as I'm concerned, anyone insisting that was straight red who also whinged about the Stephens/Boro decision as a complete hypocrite.

In my opinion anyone who compares the two and considers them similar doesn't know football!!!!

In one a player is sliding with a foot raised straight towards his opponent who stays on his feet. In the other a player plays the ball with the bottom of the boot and a moron swings his shin in front of him, made more stupid by the fact he had pre school sized shin pads on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here