Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wigan v Man City

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Terrific cup-tie and a deserved win for Wigan who worked their nuts off for the victory. Superb finish from Grigg and I enjoyed the disbelieving reaction to it also. As for the red card, it was a reckless challenge other than the appearance of the yellow card in the ref's hand I cannot see any controversy, tackles ike that are routinely red cards these days.

As for the afters, fair enough have a celebratory pitch invasion by all means but leave the opposition players alone, pretty classless from some Wigan fans imo, I can definitely see Wigan getting charged for that. City fans made themselves look like poor losers on a night when they deservedly lost.

I don't normally tune into these games, but glad I did with this one, was a cracker and had everything you'd want from a cup-tie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I have just figured out Why KFC had no Chicken left, Wigan fans must have got in first and sacrificed the lot before the game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Loved that last night, who said the FA Cup was dead?

As usual a lot of bed wetting over the pitch invasion, harmless fun, which is less than I can say for the City Fans, lots of missiles

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I'd like to hear Eric Cantona's views on Aguero assaulting that fan. Nine-month ban for 'le genìus' on a Palarse twit. I can't see how the Argentine can get away with it? Ban him for the rest of the season. Yes, the Wigan fan was on the pitch but you can't throw right hookers into his face.

Totally different situation. The fan was having a go at Aguero and he pushed him away, which is understandable.

I love seeing the fans run on to the pitch after a game like this, but if you are going to break the football offences Act then at least give the opposition players a little respect, or the laws will be enforced much harder than they already are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don’t get the love in for Pep, he’s a cheque book manager on steroids.

I wonder what job he will take next? PSG or Celtic

I don't love him at all, but he has impressed me. I thought he was just a chequebook manager, and it was a real copout taking over the richest club in England when he could have taken on more of a challenge to show how good he was. But what he has done is create the best team I think we've ever seen in the premier league. Plenty of other clubs have spent loads of money and bought titles, but no other team has been as good as this one.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't love him at all, but he has impressed me. I thought he was just a chequebook manager, and it was a real copout taking over the richest club in England when he could have taken on more of a challenge to show how good he was. But what he has done is create the best team I think we've ever seen in the premier league. Plenty of other clubs have spent loads of money and bought titles, but no other team has been as good as this one.

The best player in the world currently (in my view) KDB was already there - as was Augero/Sterling/Silva among others.

For me, till he does what Jose has done at Inter/Porto he won’t even be close to him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The best player in the world currently (in my view) KDB was already there - as was Augero/Sterling/Silva among others.

For me, till he does what Jose has done at Inter/Porto he won’t even be close to him.

When I say create the best team, its not about the players that are signed, its about the team and the way they play. They are astonishing to watch at times, the best team in England in my lifetime.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Not sure I agree. Unlike SAF/Mour, Pep has been a world class player in the age of galaticos. You have to wonder how many managers will be able to manage those sort of egos effectively - Zinedine Zidane doesn't seem to be able to do it.

You're right to say the jury should still be out on him though, even if he has won 22 trophies in 8 managerial seasons before this one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bluemoon is still entertaining this morning. The moaning Mancs seem to think Wigan's hoolies on the pitch were throwing bottles at Citeh fans. Probably just returning the ones thrown onto the pitch if anything. I didn't notice Wigan fans throwing bottles. I did see fans, bottles, hoardings and seats being thrown by the Mancs.

Citeh are a club that is so easy to dislike. Made even easier by their attitude towards us in August. I've not seen so many pot bellied 50 somethings so desperate for a fight as that lot. And that was just the women.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Bluemoon is still entertaining this morning. The moaning Mancs seem to think Wigan's hoolies on the pitch were throwing bottles at Citeh fans. Probably just returning the ones thrown onto the pitch if anything. I didn't notice Wigan fans throwing bottles. I did see fans, bottles, hoardings and seats being thrown by the Mancs.

Citeh are a club that is so easy to dislike. Made even easier by their attitude towards us in August. I've not seen so many pot bellied 50 somethings so desperate for a fight as that lot. And that was just the women.

what happened in August ? - I wasn't at the game.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
what happened in August ? - I wasn't at the game.

A load of their lot in town and on the trains being total gobshites. All old enough to know better. Quite a few on our train were very aggressive and clearly looking for trouble. Generally unpleasant group of fans. Thankfully, none of ours took the bait.

That was my personal experience of them.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wigan hardly covered themselves in glory. Actually found myself agreeing with Simon Jordan on TalkSport earlier. Should have been policed more, fans on the pitch while not OK, is what it is but going over to the Man City fans and goading them, on top of the needle that was already in the game and then the stadium PA playing Wonderwall was taking it too far and definitely antagonising the situation.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wigan hardly covered themselves in glory. Actually found myself agreeing with Simon Jordan on TalkSport earlier. Should have been policed more, fans on the pitch while not OK, is what it is but going over to the Man City fans and goading them, on top of the needle that was already in the game and then the stadium PA playing Wonderwall was taking it too far and definitely antagonising the situation.

Agree about Wigan's fans. Reminded me so much of Boro. You've won ffs. Just beaten the most expensive team assembled in England. Just enjoy the moment instead of all of that Billy Big Bollocks goading and gloating.

As for the PA and Wonderwall, similar to the total lack of class at Palace when we went there with Coppell in charge.

Mind you, seems like there's no love lost between Citeh and Wigan if you look at Blue Moon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

It seems that Man City have launched a complaint about Wigan's taunting at the end of the game by playing Wonderwall over the PA system.

When The FA were asked if they'd take action, they said maybeeeeeee.....

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Admittedly the data may not be 100% but I just had a look on transfermarkt and over the course of their managerial careers it seems Jose is more of a chequebook manager than Pep. Should also caveat this by saying Jose has been managing for about a decade longer than Pep too.

Mourinho: £1,290,127,500
Pep: £967,770,000

Either way that's utterly ridiculous sums of cash being spent by both men.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Loved that last night, who said the FA Cup was dead?

As usual a lot of bed wetting over the pitch invasion, harmless fun, which is less than I can say for the City Fans, lots of missiles

There was a rocket fired into the Man City fans on one of the videos.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
You have to wonder how many managers will be able to manage those sort of egos effectively - Zinedine Zidane doesn't seem to be able to do it.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Since taking over in January 2016 when Benitez was sacked, he was won the Champions League twice and La Liga once (the first time for Madrid in ages). He's done so well at Madrid precisely because he could manage the egos effectively - the players didn't respect Benitez, but they do Zidane, because of what he achieved with Madrid. He managed to get them playing as a team rather than individuals, which was a big part in their success. It's gone a bit tits up this season, but they have recently found their form again (the fight seems to be back), and they could yet win another CL.

You call other people clueless..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Since taking over in January 2016 when Benitez was sacked, he was won the Champions League twice and La Liga once (the first time for Madrid in ages). He's done so well at Madrid precisely because he could manage the egos effectively - the players didn't respect Benitez, but they do Zidane, because of what he achieved with Madrid. He managed to get them playing as a team rather than individuals, which was a big part in their success. It's gone a bit tits up this season, but they have recently found their form again (the fight seems to be back), and they could yet win another CL.

You call other people clueless..

Actually I'll agree with you there - I've had a brain fart as I thought Zindane had been given the job only this season! :dunce:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I kinda get what you're saying, but hasn't he spent loads of money to MAKE them as good as they are? Yeah, they are the 'right' players, but he still hasn't exactly been on a tight budget...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here