Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are the Tories committing political suicide?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The Tories are dismantling everything we hold dear, and the moron British public are letting it happen.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dispatches at the moment on bbc 2 is about a mental health ward and instead of running the story of how much it is underfunded, they're spinning a story of the poor treatment of patients, a typical example of the media telling us what they want us to think.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
50 posts in on a thread about The Tories and still nobody's actually got anything positive to say about The Tories themselves.

This is politics in a nut shell. When it is hard to find positives just slag off the other team.

Always the same on these threads.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As the OP I was making the point about a COMBINATION of Tory policies discriminating against the young and what effect that might have in the long-term.

I don't recall a time when the Tories had so little to offer the younger voter. It just feels as though there is a huge political vacuum waiting to be filled by something other than the present political party system - the Tories kill them financially, Labour kills them with Brexit. Then there's the 48%, the voters of Northern Ireland, the 4 million who voted UKIP....
Cue Lord Adonis. [emoji23]

#BritainsMacron

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
End of WW2 Britan on its knees absoluty broke, towns city distroyed, family's distroyed, yet somehow we managed to set up the NHS, Social Security, Pensions, Paid Holidays, nationalised railways, steel, coal industries and the biggest house building programme in the nations history 70 years on and all this has eather been sold off and what is left is in danger of the same.

The Tories and the Tory light labour of resent years have caused this the gap between rich and poor is at its widest in the preceding years, the young unable to get decent jobs or are saddled with debt trying, asberations of a decent place to live that is afordale appears to perminantly out of reach, no direction regarding Brexit something has to change all this and Labour are not racing away in the polls it seems to me almost that the Tories can do what ever they want as the nation as a whole is unsure of the alternatives.

My view is we appear to be in a complete mess so why should we trust those that have got us into this mess over the past 30 years a mess not caused by the left so I for one will be voting Labour when the time comes

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You say this, but how come Germany has free education and a fantastic and well funded health system? If the Germans can do it there’s no reason why Britain can’t.

It is about balancing the books, if we have more being paid out to those who don't need it and less coming in from those who could afford to pay but manage to avoid paying then we cannot subsidise things no matter how useful it may be for the country in the long run.

Most people would agree with the Tories in not overspending but there is still a lot they could do to balance things so it is everyone in it together

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It is about balancing the books, if we have more being paid out to those who don't need it and less coming in from those who could afford to pay but manage to avoid paying then we cannot subsidise things no matter how useful it may be for the country in the long run.

Most people would agree with the Tories in not overspending but there is still a lot they could do to balance things so it is everyone in it together

‘Not overspending’ ??? Is that the justification for cuts to almost everything and crippling the NHS whilst handing massive tax breaks to the super rich? All in this together my arse. Funny how there was no ‘magic money tree’ until Theresa needed to buy the DUP to cling on to power.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
‘Not overspending’ ??? Is that the justification for cuts to almost everything and crippling the NHS whilst handing massive tax breaks to the super rich? All in this together my arse. Funny how there was no ‘magic money tree’ until Theresa needed to buy the DUP to cling on to power.

I voted Labour

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As the OP I was making the point about a COMBINATION of Tory policies discriminating against the young and what effect that might have in the long-term.

I don't recall a time when the Tories had so little to offer the younger voter. It just feels as though there is a huge political vacuum waiting to be filled by something other than the present political party system - the Tories kill them financially, Labour kills them with Brexit. Then there's the 48%, the voters of Northern Ireland, the 4 million who voted UKIP....

It's not all about the younger voter. How about the 63 yr old women who were promised and planned for a State Pension at 60 and now find it won't be paid till they are nearly 67. Meanwhile other women maybe only 6 months older have had pensions since they were 60 and don't even realise how lucky they are. Not sure the Tories appeal much to Mrs Earle either!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I voted Labour

The reply wasn’t personal. A mere exasperated rambling. The title of the thread alone I find tiresome. The idea that after years of cuts, the systematic abuse of the poorest and most vulnerable in society, the fall in wages, a huge rise in poverty, the cruel and needless austerity agenda it’d be the fact that May wants to look into reducing tuition fees that’d be considered political suicide. If those who vote Tory are ok with the aforementioned I highly doubt not reducing tuition fees will both them much at all :facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see Theresa May's university review will not scrap tuition fees and she's pledged to keep the £9,250 cap.

Given Labour have said they'll abolish tuition fees, given the young were overruled on Brexit and it is now almost impossible for them to get on the housing ladder...
Isn't that the same as before the last election, when people decided to vote blue?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reply wasn’t personal. A mere exasperated rambling. The title of the thread alone I find tiresome. The idea that after years of cuts, the systematic abuse of the poorest and most vulnerable in society, the fall in wages, a huge rise in poverty, the cruel and needless austerity agenda it’d be the fact that May wants to look into reducing tuition fees that’d be considered political suicide. If those who vote Tory are ok with the aforementioned I highly doubt not reducing tuition fees will both them much at all :facepalm:

As the OP I don't understand why you find the title of the thread tiresome. Politically, May took a comfortable majority and made it disappear. Things get harder for the young year or year - interest rates have risen, no real clarity or progress on Brexit. She took a lot for granted in the GE and got burnt, she doesn't seem to be reaching out to anyone other than Tories / Brexiteers and Mogg seems to be pulling her strings.

larus

Incorrect. He didn't backtrack on anything. The policy is exactly the same. What did he backtrack on?

Yes he did. No matter how many ones you say he didn’t he did. He said they would abolish fees and clear debts. I remember some interviews with students at a concert and they were saying they were voting Labour because of the policy to abolish fees.

Then Corbyn AFTER the election admits it was only an intention to LOOK at it.

He’s just another liar and if choose not to believe that, then you’re deluded.

larus

As the OP I don't understand why you find the title of the thread tiresome. Politically, May took a comfortable majority and made it disappear. Things get harder for the young year or year - interest rates have risen, no real clarity or progress on Brexit. She took a lot for granted in the GE and got burnt, she doesn't seem to be reaching out to anyone other than Tories / Brexiteers and Mogg seems to be pulling her strings.

Wow, back to the same level before Brexit. Only a fool could possibly think that the current level of interest rates in the Western counties is indicative of a healthy state for these economies. Interest rates need to rise to a slightly higher level and back to some form of normality for the financial system.

Interest rates rises are a sign of a healthy economy returning, not one still on life support trying to recover from the **** to of the last Labour government.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't understand politics or politicians really. There is a large group of the electorate who feel they are being pinched year on year and things are getting worse and surely any political party who openly opposed such measures in a way that was deemed to be fair by 90% of society would see masses of people sway their votes even if it was in the direction of the Liberal Democrates.

May doesn't seem trustworthy and Corbyn doesn't seem capable. Am I alone in wishing for a return of Blair or Cameron

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here