Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are the Tories committing political suicide?

D

Deleted member 22389

By 2020, two thirds of children with a single parent could be living in poverty.
Absolutely stunning statistic. What happened to the JAM's.
Someone should burn this witch before it's too late.
But don't forget this is only possible because we have a strong economy.
And to think that people defend them on this board.
Unbelievable.

If a single parent is claiming benefits, is fit and able to work a few hours a week to top up their money that's a good thing. There is plenty of work if you want it. The government already offers 15 hours free childcare a week. I don't know what else the government can do.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If a single parent is claiming benefits, is fit and able to work a few hours a week to top up their money that's a good thing. There is plenty of work if you want it. The government already offers 15 hours free childcare a week. I don't know what else the government can do.

A lot of it is in work poverty, they just cannot manage, if it was a few my eyebrows would be raised but two thirds, people on low pay are really struggling and being a single parent makes life even more difficult.
The cost of everything goes up and wages do not, in work benefits are just not working for many people it was all a scam to get the employment figures right down.
Getting people, especially the skivers back to work is one of the few things they have got right, but the way they have gone about it for a large amount of people including the disabled is wrong and very unfair.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure Mcdonut gave an interview backtracking all the way with regards to this issue stating they could help a little bit but not clear as promised during the election campaign. Lots of potential unhappy voters on this one. Just have to await the next election and what they promise then

I think this was about trying to help people that already have a large Student debt. Corbyn only ever said that they 'would look at it' when questioned during the election campaign.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
A lot of it is in work poverty, they just cannot manage, if it was a few my eyebrows would be raised but two thirds, people on low pay are really struggling and being a single parent makes life even more difficult.
The cost of everything goes up and wages do not, in work benefits are just not working for many people it was all a scam to get the employment figures right down.
Getting people, especially the skivers back to work is one of the few things they have got right, but the way they have gone about it for a large amount of people including the disabled is wrong and very unfair.

Is that the price of cigarettes and drink??. Maybe budget more on food

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Tokyohands,
P.S. Housing is pretty dear in Tokyo, as I understand from my elder boy. He has a degree in Japanese and has spent quite a lot of time working and studying over there. He loves it though and I reckon he will be over there again soon!

Thanks for the comments, very grounded.

Actually you can live quite reasonably in Tokyo if you know the areas but yes accommodation prices can be high for the size. You can get town houses pretty centrally for about half a million which isn't bad because it is so cheap to get a mortgage here if you can qualify. I'm on 1% fixed for the entire term of the loan, so I now pay quite a bit less each month for a 3 bed house than I did renting a 1 bed flat.

Good luck to your son, I hope he has a good time here in the future!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Thanks for the comments, very grounded.

Actually you can live quite reasonably in Tokyo if you know the areas but yes accommodation prices can be high for the size. You can get town houses pretty centrally for about half a million which isn't bad because it is so cheap to get a mortgage here if you can qualify. I'm on 1% fixed for the entire term of the loan, so I now pay quite a bit less each month for a 3 bed house than I did renting a 1 bed flat.

Good luck to your son, I hope he has a good time here in the future!
Interesting to hear about lifetime 1% mortgage loans in Tokyo.

Like many i have taken an interest in house prices as they have such an impact on our lives. Tokyo was always the place that seemed to have the most inflated market and a big issue with excessive/unaffordable housing costs. BUT even those prices never really crashed in nominal terms. Years of relative stagnation reduced prices in real terms combined with very low interest rates to help affordability.

If current UK property prices are to be maintained then something similar will be needed here.

(or BREXIT will solve the issue slightly less positively)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here