Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Regrettable financial decisions

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Selling all my singles for beer money in the seventies. Fleeced for divorce settlement.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Building, car, holiday and life insurance for over 35 years - never claimed !!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chased the dream by investing shares in x 3 Oil exploration companies in the last 5 years or so. All failed and subsequently lost £50,000 !!!

However I have been very lucky to have inherited just over £450,000 in the last 12 months so I've been able to put those losses well behind me and now sleep very well.

Please don't punt the £450k on shares or the 2.50 at Sandown.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
The thing that haunts me every day is this:

About 20 years ago, my dad used to import furniture by the container load from the States from a guy who used to do house clearances out there. I said I’d pay the guy $1 for every vinyl record he put in the container on the hope some nice stuff would be in there. Months went by with no vinyl, to the point that I’d forgotten all about it. I opened a drawer from an item of furniture in a container about 6 months later & about 50 albums were in there. One of them was a Beatles album that I didn’t recognise called ‘Yesterday & Today’ that was still in its shrink-wrap. Took it down to a few record shops in Brighton who either said they thought it was fake, or they couldn’t afford to buy it!!! Sold it for £300 & a few freebies from the shelves thrown in.

This album is one of the top 10 rarest albums ever released & if you wanted to buy one today, still in it’s shrink wrap, it will cost you about 15k......

But I did only pay a dollar for it so can’t complain too much I guess!!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Chased the dream by investing shares in x 3 Oil exploration companies in the last 5 years or so. All failed and subsequently lost £50,000 !!!

However I have been very lucky to have inherited just over £450,000 in the last 12 months so I've been able to put those losses well behind me and now sleep very well.

You luck b'stard, wish I could be left a few quid, but with my family's background there is no chance.
If true I'm not sure I would be letting it out on a forum.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I bought my first property when I was 20, so was pretty naive on the financial ins and outs, and was subsequently sold an endowment policy for an interest only mortgage.

I did late try and claim for miss selling, but didn't get anywhere, as the Company who sold to to me conveniently closed down / changed it's name and then continued to trade.

Gerry Fell did something along these lines to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here