Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Regrettable financial decisions

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
£800 on an engagement ring in 1995. I left her, it seemed churlish to ask for it back...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Spent all my pocket money on the newest Nurf gun, within an hour all 20 foam bullets had disappeared into neighbouring gardens..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Interesting, when was this? About 6 years ago we couldn't give away a vinyl collection from a similar vintage. Record dealers and even the charity shops said there were so many collections of a similar ilk that were being swapped for digital or following house clearances where the collector had died

Yeah, I sold it to a record dealer in North Laine along Sydney Street, long since gone. It was 2007 when I was moving from Brighton out to Shoreham. He said the same. I believed him. Love to have it back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The other half got a £30 gift voucher for M&S at Christmas, and I accidentally put it on the fire with the wrapping. Being a plastic card all we could do was watch it quickly curl up and melt.

They generally have a serial code on the recipt which would enable the check out person to type it in just in case the card doesnt work or breaks etc. This was the case 10+ years ago when I worked in Topman.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
same, but I was 26, 27 (I think), policy was with L&G, never had anything to do with them since

It wouldn't be L&G's fault more the adviser. But fair enough.

Worst Move for me was probably being made redundent getting a decent payout and taking a year off instead of doing something sensible with it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not sure if it's within the rules, indeed I don't care!

Switching out of my final salary pension in 1990. What would have been £35K index linked will be £7K not indexed linked in 2 years time when I take it. Spent 10 years fighting the so called compensation I got following the pension mis-selling scandal only for the regulators to close ranks around the initial decision and their puny compensation. Tried to take it to European Court of Human rights but tossed out as I hadn't taken High Court action here, which would have cost me £200K minimum ... will never get over it!

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Chased the dream by investing shares in x 3 Oil exploration companies in the last 5 years or so. All failed and subsequently lost £50,000 !!!

However I have been very lucky to have inherited just over £450,000 in the last 12 months so I've been able to put those losses well behind me and now sleep very well.

Giz us a tenner mate.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Depends on how good the night was......

This is true!! Did have some pretty epic rave trips or it could have been a Sterns visit I guess!! Sure would have quite a few additional nights out for what could get for them now mind u!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I sold a few of my vinyl LPs to buy my first decent guitar.

Unfortunately, one of them was a numbered copy of the Beatles White Album, bought in NEMS store in Liverpool the day before it was officially released. Mine was number 78. Still, at least by selling this and a few other records for a quid or 50 pence apiece, I did manage to raise the thirty odd quid I needed for an EKO 12.

Oh, and my dear old Mum paid Caffyns £10 to take away my first car because it was making the place look untidy. The reg. no. was 10 JPJ - wonder what that's worth now?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not getting a workplace pension then staying at the company for 13 years. I blame Robert Maxwell for putting people off signing up at the time. Will probably cost me 100 grand plus when I retire. Thank god they are now compulsory.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I sold 2 boxes of out of date shampoo at a bootsale for £15 , turns out nobody gives a shit if shampoo is passed it's sell by date , and the buyer made a killing .

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Back in the early 70’s whilst doing my A-Levels, I worked part time at the Academy Cinema in West St. As this was the time that the Academy and the Regent were nearing closure, I asked if I could have some of the original movie posters from the storerooms. I ended up with hundreds, all in cardboard tubes. A few years later I binned them as they were taking up too much room.They would’ve been worth a small fortune today.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Taking a chunk of my bonus in the supposedly discounted shares of my employer before the financial crash.

I can’t bring myself to sell them even now. My share statement still shows a loss of 75% of their initial value.

Second one was selling a limited edition 12 inch of Layla for a fiver. It was worth about £200 according to a dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here