Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting line up swansea

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Like you though, I think, I'm not giving too much credit to an opinion that goes something like "We've signed a new player who was very expensive so he HAS to start. Now then, who does he replace? Hmmmm, tricky one. I know - Pascal Gross will have to sit out - he doesn't really do much."

That isn't my opinion AT ALL... Gross sits out because we should have the confidence to attack (more) when playing bottom 14 clubs, not for the reason you say AT ALL, and you know it, so your post is just disingenuous IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Deffo.

As said on the Locadia thread the Guardian's Dutch football corespondent was a little reluctant in setting the bar too high for him, but she did say 'he's never had a player like Gross pulling the strings behind him'.

Having given that a little more thought I've remembered she was one of the first corespondents to go overboard on Pascal, she was amazed the Albion had bought such a good player, and bought him so cheaply, so that all bodes well.

I'm also reminded of a comment floated on here, possibly by [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION], it certainly came with some credibility, (sorry Noo that isn't a compliment more a shot at the bollox the rest of us write. :lol: ) that Hughton needs to Hughtonise his players.

He's not going to play them until he trusts them and he's not going to trust a player until he has worked with them.

That does rather hold up with this seasons signings.
Bong and Bruno have had more starts that most managers would have given.
Jose has often been rotated, while Propper and Gross clearly would have had less game time if Kayal was available.

I'd love for Jurgen to 'alpha' his way into the team, score 10 goals and be sold for £50m in the Summer, but I just son't see CH rushing his selection.

Your argument falls on the fact that Ryan and Propper (other new players?) have played every PL game, surely?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Your argument falls on the fact that Ryan and Propper (other new players?) have played every PL game, surely?
Your argument fell flat on it's face and smashed a tray of eggs all over itself when it started with Gross being dropped.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But Gross is more likely to help out in midfield than Locadia isn't he? Gross will be between midfield and the front man, whereas Locadia is more likely to be one of two front men (at least it looked that way against Cov).

That doesn't mean Gross is a cautious pick, but Locadia is even more attack minded.

This is what I'm saying... I guess the people saying we should hold back on the Locadia selection just want us to take a more cautious approach again Swansea, which is a valid POV too... I just disagree wholeheartedly! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Playing instead of whom?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan, Dunk and Groß are the 1st names on the teamsheet.

After that, Izquierdo needs to start, and Stephens and Pröpper will take midfield places.

So 3 defenders, and 2 attackers needed in addition to the selections made above.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It amazes me people would even consider dropping Gross. He is 2nd top scorer with 5 and has 3 more assists than any other with 6 (Propper has 3).

Locadia has to either displace Murray or picked instead of one of the wide players in my view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

... except he isn't primarily a wide player, and he obviously needs to play with a number 9... otherwise, I agree fully...

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Everyone else who is in the team, obviously!...
None of which do it as well as Gross even when Pascal didn't have the striker options the team has now.

So who are you playing instead of Propper and Ryan in the first half of the season?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think Man City should drop Kevin de Bruyne - he's too cautious. Replace him with an out and out striker.

LoL! Gross retained, Stephens dropped?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You jest I know (and I wouldn't be dropping Gross), but Kev doesn't start as one of a front 2, he's already got 3 strikers ahead of him.

Good point...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Possibly confusing 'doesn't shoot' with 'only shoots when that's the best option for a goal'.

Actually, that is bollox IMHO... he has often not taken on a shot, and CH has even commented on wanting him to shoot more often...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Your argument fell flat on it's face and smashed a tray of eggs all over itself when it started with Gross being dropped.

In your incorrect opinion...

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Ryan

Schelotto
Dunk
Duffy
Bong

Stephens
Izquierdo
March
Gross

Locadia
Murray

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
None of which do it as well as Gross even when Pascal didn't have the striker options the team has now.

So who are you playing instead of Propper and Ryan in the first half of the season?

You answer the last question.. it is you who are saying Chris doesn't select new players... incorrectly, of course...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ryan, Dunk and Groß are the 1st names on the teamsheet.

After that, Izquierdo needs to start, and Stephens and Pröpper will take midfield places.

So 3 defenders, and 2 attackers needed in addition to the selections made above.

Yep. So, Locadia needs to either play on the wrong side in place of March / Knockaert OR up front in place of Ulloa / Murray.

I'm convinced he'll be on the bench on Saturday.

Therefore, it begs the question: Murray or Ulloa?

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, we're agreed then, Gross doesn't shoot as often as he should and Locadia would make a better option alongside Murray. Phew, got there in the end, thanks chaps :whistle:

We all have different opinions guys but all support the same team and want the best for the Albion, so I'm sure the guy that gets the big wages will pick the right team and we can all sit back and enjoy the last four games of the season safe in the knowledge that we have enough points (37, wasn't trying to start another flounce with that number though!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here