Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best bargains you've found

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Surely houses don't belong on this thread, unless you bought one for a ridiculous price in the relevant era.

Buying a house in 1985 for the same price as everybody else bought their houses that year and selling it thirty years later for ten times the value doesn't make it a bargain does it? That's just how the housing market works, surely.

Maybe this one does ....

About 15 years ago I was dabbling in BTL and houses were going up ~15% a year. I made an offer of £64k on a 2-bed semi which was accepted - occupier was a female single parent with a son and daughter who were getting towards being too old to share a bedroom. I had the survey done and then 2 weeks later she pulled out as the house she had planned to buy fell through.

I went round to see what the situation was and said we were in no hurry [survey was valid for 6 months] - 5 months later she called to say she had found somewhere and that if I still wanted her 2-bed semi, it was mine for the same asking price. Went though the 6 week phase to completion by which time the value was estimated at £69 so I "flipped it" and in two months had made £5k [probably £4k after fees and searches] for not very much effort.

That, I believe, was a bargain?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is both actually, mathemetics is a collective noun like ecoustics
Math or maths is really an abbreviation either way if you are British it's generally referred as maths
Personally I always thought that
2+2 = math
2+3+3 = maths
would make more sense
2+2 is 4, minus 1 that's 3, quick maths

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I was in a secondhand shop in a convent a few years ago and found a mint condition very large $1 coin in sterling silver, clearly a collector's item. I asked the old nun behind the counter how much it was. She looked at it and said "Well it says $1 on it."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely houses don't belong on this thread, unless you bought one for a ridiculous price in the relevant era.

Buying a house in 1985 for the same price as everybody else bought their houses that year and selling it thirty years later for ten times the value doesn't make it a bargain does it? That's just how the housing market works, surely.
Fair point, it's comparison that makes something a bargain or not. I had a girlfriend in my 20s, and I later found out that lots of other people had gone out with her, but they all paid £20, so I guess I got a bargain.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I thought the 20 grand I paid for a mint condition, fully loaded, 2.5 year old Mercedes A45 AMG with 12,000 kms on the clock was a pretty good deal.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A couple of Rolex promotional freebie books from a watch dealer which I recently sold for £130.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It is both actually, mathemetics is a collective noun like ecoustics
Math or maths is really an abbreviation either way if you are British it's generally referred as maths
Personally I always thought that
2+2 = math
2+3+3 = maths
would make more sense

2+2 = mathematic
2+3+3 = mathematics
does that make more sense, I think not

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is ridiculous, but for us, its great, if we can tap into the profit, once we eventually retire and move.

I know what you are saying, but of course, when we look to retire Ina couple of years time, we will be looking for a bungalow on flat ground hopefully....peices for those are again stupid money, so it is all relative. Or you can do what my mum did, do an equity loan release, BUT with her she was badly advised ( or ignore the advice) and now that equity loan will take all of her house. 50 k takes 200k. Equity release will be the next PPI I am sure of it. Horrendous rip off.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This is turning into one of the all time great threads.

I bought my house for two sheep in 1726 and now it's worth £3m...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 sheep?

You was robbed!

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Nice bag of ethereum for under £8 each. (now worth around £800 each...and highly likely to reach £2000+).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
A house in need of a deep clean that was so nasty to be in that it scared away all the other potential buyers. About 100k sterling then and after about 20ks work it'd be about 250k now. Beats the majority of Homes Under The Hammer profits easily.

On a cheaper level, a 2005 bottle of Jameson 18 for 70 quid because the tube was slightly dented. Wanted to get a 1987 made whiskey for my 30th and was looking at closer to 200 for anything.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
A bitcoin... some time ago.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know what you are saying, but of course, when we look to retire Ina couple of years time, we will be looking for a bungalow on flat ground hopefully....peices for those are again stupid money, so it is all relative. Or you can do what my mum did, do an equity loan release, BUT with her she was badly advised ( or ignore the advice) and now that equity loan will take all of her house. 50 k takes 200k. Equity release will be the next PPI I am sure of it. Horrendous rip off.

Already know of peope who've experienced the equity horror, not good.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Already know of peope who've experienced the equity horror, not good.

The interesting one will come if she needs to go into a home for care. If we need to sell the house to pay for that, there probably won't be anything left in the house, so she may have no choice in the care home she would want unless my brother and I pay for it.

Which down in the West Country they are around £500 minimum, a week for a private one based on the care level. We certainly haven't got that sort of money to hand, so may need to remortgage our houses to pay for it!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The interesting one will come if she needs to go into a home for care. If we need to sell the house to pay for that, there probably won't be anything left in the house, so she may have no choice in the care home she would want unless my brother and I pay for it.

Which down in the West Country they are around £500 minimum, a week for a private one based on the care level. We certainly haven't got that sort of money to hand, so may need to remortgage our houses to pay for it!

I maybe wrong, but you only have to pay up to a certain amount for care, leaving some funds to the person, then the rest is payed by local authorities?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here