Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nice Maty Ryan article

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nice bloke

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Great read thank you for that... got to say that I bloody love Maty Ryan as does my 7 year old who absolutely worships him and is hardly ever out of his Maty Ryan kit and Brighton goalie gloves... top bloke and we’re lucky to have him.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Matty's just making it all up:
"My agent used to be teammates at Middlesbrough with Ben Roberts, who is now the goalkeeping coach at Brighton. Ben had scouted me for a couple of years, from what I understand, and really stepped up his efforts to follow me when I was at Genk and Brighton looked more and more likely to gain promotion. He thought I could perhaps make a worthy addition to their squad."

Don't think it works like that Matty. I think you'll find we just use Football Manager rankings.

We all know that CH, TB and PB scout by getting together on a Friday, play FIFA, order a takeaway, have a few cans and then draw up a shortlist of players.

Piece of piss this football malarkey.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great article, thanks.

Interesting what he says about his start. I had written him off, he looked mistake ridden and lacked confidence and it's informing to see that he thought that himself to an extent, and how he came around. I wouldn't have Stockdale back in a month of Sundays now, Ryan has fully proven me and a lot of critics wrong. Let's hope that bond keeps getting stronger.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Saw him in Church Road the other week and tried to think of something appropriate to say... Fortunately a family with some kids came out of a shop before we converged and they intercepted him for a chat and some pictures.
From what I saw and heard as I passed I can report that he is a genuinely smashing chap, really enthusiastic and friendly, clearly made a great impact on the kids and pretty much made my day.
Top bloke.
...and not noticeably a short arse.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great read, always liked Dwarf Weekly

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’m not the tallest goalkeeper but that’s why I’m so determined.

Another decent article:

Who would have thought a lack of height would be an attributing factor in becoming a Premier League goalkeeper? In the case of Brighton and Hove Albion’s Aussie keeper Maty Ryan, it’s what drove him to move to the other side of the world to prove himself on one of football’s biggest stages. “I’m not the tallest of keepers and even then, I was a late developer, so I was even smaller in comparison to most growing up,” he tells i .What is still perceived as a weakness in the position by some has become the driving force behind Ryan’s development. “I guess that’s why I’m so determined. I experienced rejection early on because of my height and just wanted to prove how good I was.” After somewhat of an inauspicious start, that’s exactly what he’s doing.

More...............

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here