Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere in the north stand today

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I can list many once 'not popular' songs that are now sung throughout the ground and at every away. Here's a tip, try and join in with them and they spread faster, whether you like them or not. But you won't because you're the problem, not them.

How can that possibly nullify the crowd? The fact that "nobody else in the crowd wants to sing it" is surely the problem not the song, as it's used regularly by us to this day and all fans across the country.

I think that's your imagination at work. Your thought process probably went something like this - "Look at those knobs over there singing things I don't know the words to. Instead of trying to learn the words and join in, I'm going to create a fantasy where they are doing it on purpose to piss us all off."

Until people like the above realise it's them that are the problem (won't happen), it will always be fragmented.

You aren't seeing the bigger picture; to get the whole ground joining in you need simple chants that can be coordinated, like when someone bangs on the back of the NS and we do a traditional clap, clap, clap clap clap BRIGHTON! Or ALBION...ALBION. The police box bunch sing dirges that just don't spread even to people standing 10 meters away, let alone the rest of the ground.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sat in ESU, pretty much in the middle and at the front.

I would say when Coventry got going it was the loudest away support at the Amex, probably due to sheer numbers as much as anything.

I fully expected to be outsung, as that's the way it is in these games. Brighton have been the underdogs in these sorts of games many times over the years and we know it's our job to outsing Liverpool at Anfield or whatever. And because it's a bigger occasion for the underdog away support they generally make the most noise.

That said I thought we made a decent enough noise most of the time yesterday. Not at usual levels but still not bad.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The Knockaert song took about 5 mins to catch on but hey, make stuff up to suit the agenda. That's the issue with this group, they can't see that THEY can improve the atmosphere by changing tactic. They'd rather look down on everyone else. A shame as they could make the amex atmosphere even better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes 5 mins, from the snow in Blackburn to being sung from all stands more than a year later.

YOU could also improve the atmosphere if you changed your ways which I see as the problem, not them. So they look down on everyone else now too, think that's your imagination at work again.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You aren't seeing the bigger picture; to get the whole ground joining in you need simple chants that can be coordinated, like when someone bangs on the back of the NS and we do a traditional clap, clap, clap clap clap BRIGHTON! Or ALBION...ALBION. The police box bunch sing dirges that just don't spread even to people standing 10 meters away, let alone the rest of the ground.

Disagree. To get the whole ground joining in you just need the North to be loud enough to begin with.

Not buying the need for them to be simple chants either. They are criticised whatever songs they try to start, simple or complex. Couple of recent examples are the Izquierdo one which is the easiest shit you can imagine - Not good enough according to the masses. As opposed to the Goldson one which is far from simple that has spread across the ground (another song that took quite some time for people to join in with - presumably deemed as 'dirge' for a while).

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Other than the Tattooed Bird and the bloke with a coconut in his ear who in my view are both egotists I thought it was desperately crap.
I stood directly under the police box and no more than twenty of us made a sound.
A few around me must have been recently weened off of their mothers nipple when they put that banner up at the end fffsake :moo:
Section of North Stand where I am was awash with faces I have never seen before. That could more than likely be applied throughout the NS. I put it down to that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree that sound doesn't travel well at the Amex.
In the North you rarely hear much from the away fans.

However there were a couple of times at the end of the game, when you got to hear them and it was loudest I've heard.
As it should be with 4,500 travelling fans.

I wonder if the North Stand ever reach comparable/better volumes?
I hope so.

Any South Stand regulars care to comment?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Was in the north. Thought it was awful. Didnt hear coventry more than 3 times. Maybe the sound ddoesnt travel from
South to north

Been telling everyone that since the Amex opened, yesterday i was in the North until 40 mins so all load and clear there with minimal noise coming from the away end, and just before half time i'm in the away end and it noisy as hell but can hear nothing from the North, even to the point they were singing, "can we sing a song for you" as the north could not be heard.
The noise does not travel at the Amex.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Unless a chant is short and repetitive it will never take hold. Too many of our chants are long and so tend to fizzle out after the first rendition. Something like a continually overlapping "Blue army" sung by two different sections of support in turn is the way to go.

However there were a couple of times at the end of the game, when you got to hear them and it was loudest I've heard.

I hope so.

Coventry were louder than anything I've heard from the lower stadium north.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I hope so.

There are very few things to pick at with our new home. Other than the fact our home end should have been bigger, there is only one other issue for me. That is of course the distance between our home end and the away fans.

Songs cannot be bounced organically off each other because each end has to be at it's loudest and the rest of the ground silent just to be able to pick up what is being sung by each vocal section (sometimes that's not even enough). I have often heard disparaging songs being sung by the away fans which I know for fact, if the North had heard they would have responded. The only way the West responds is for a few old timers to rise off their seats (a rarity in of itself) and flick a few V's.

In answer to your question (I am often up near the south end of the West) yes you can hear the North but it doesn't sound impressive. I have also been up the north end of the West where it obviously does sound impressive. Still, I suppose it's a better setup than planting the away fans right next to the North then employ some fat knob to smash on a drum for the ENTIRE game and pass it off as an atmosphere which seems to be the thing to do these days.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whereas something as recent as the Knockaert song took ages to catch on because of "shit words". The same shit words which are sung today.

Who really cares about the words so long as they scan, they're not supposed to be masterpieces.

The 'crew' you're talking about always try and get something new going which should be welcomed. Despite popular belief and in my experience they will always join in with other chants, even when an Albiyaawn has interrupted a pretty good one they have already started. I really just can't understand why they are so vilified.

This. The truth.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I hope so.

I was sat on the half way line at the front of WSU so got a balanced listen to both ends; I would estimate that Coventry were at least 60% louder than the NS.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I thought the atmosphere was decent and I was stood next to the op! Like always east and west was like Madame tussauds

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here