Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere in the north stand today

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yep. Coventry fans were INCREDIBLY loud, even at 3-0 down and continually supported their team (we were ESU south of the half way line). Amazing people saying they couldn't hear them. Just shows again how sound doesn't travel at the Amex.

Heard them maybe 3 or 4 times during the game, probably due to the section I was in trying to get the atmosphere going ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Yep. Coventry fans were INCREDIBLY loud, even at 3-0 down and continually supported their team (we were ESU south of the half way line). Amazing people saying they couldn't hear them. Just shows again how sound doesn't travel at the Amex.

On the stream before they scored you only heard them sing that one song they had “all stick together” or something like that, maybe 4 or 5 times where as our fans could be heard the whole game until they scored their consolation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can't judge anything on yesterday. So many people out of their normal areas. We were N1F and sang all game but there weren't that many others who did. Certainly not louder than WSU is normally but more constant.

If we somehow scrape a draw at Old Trafford then the club simply have to give STHs the chance to purchase their own seat immediately, no matter where it is.

On another note though the food in the North. My GOD. Chips! Pizza! A dedicated pie stall.:cheery:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
You can't judge anything on yesterday. So many people out of their normal areas. We were N1F and sang all game but there weren't that many others who did. Certainly not louder than WSU is normally but more constant.

If we somehow scrape a draw at Old Trafford then the club simply have to give STHs the chance to purchase their own seat immediately, no matter where it is.

On another note though the food in the North. My GOD. Chips! Pizza! A dedicated pie stall.:cheery:

There are no replays in the quarter-finals.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

There are no draws now, it's win at Old Truffle or bust I'm afraid.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I thought overall the crowd were good yesterday. Other than during he last 20 minutes team wobble.

Not the fervour of the home PL wins, but people forget that in many home games this season the crowd including the NS have been quiet for huge periods due to the tension and/or more often than not the team are failing to collect 3 points. Not just Liverpool and Chelsea but Bournemouth for example.

I sat on the NS yesterday near the police box, and there were tons of families.

I was in N1F, plenty of children ( inebriated dads) but atmosphere was very disjointed. The Pallllllllace 3rd round match was far far better than yesterday, No worries though, back to the usual attendees next week and hopefully the usual noise.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
On the stream before they scored you only heard them sing that one song they had “all stick together” or something like that.

???

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
(Actually, [MENTION=4313]RM-Taylor[/MENTION], what you heard was the famous Sky Blue Song, as written by Jimmy Hill :) )

I also like their "In our Coventry homes/ We speak with an accent exceedingly rare/ You want a cathedral we've got one to spare/ In our Coventry homes"

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Sat in my season ticket seat at the back of the north near the police box and the first thing I noticed when I went up from the concourse was how many under 16’s sitting on there phones/tablets around me paying little or no attention to the game.

We are going to need a "North Stand App" for their phones to get them participating soon aren't we.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Was in the north. Thought it was awful. Didnt hear coventry more than 3 times. Maybe the sound ddoesnt travel from
South to north

I normally sit in the north end of WSU but sat in the south end of WSL for this one. It made me realise that it genuinely depends on where you sit as to how good the noise level / atmosphere comes across. From where I was sitting the noise coming from the north was largely non existent while I felt the Cov fans made a tremendous noise throughout the game and put us to shame. When in my normal seat I always think the noise from the north is great and often think the noise from the away support is poor. It leaves me to think that the noise from each end just drifts upwards into thin air because the shape of the roof at both ends doesn’t make for good acoustics as they slope upwards to the sky.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Other than the Tattooed Bird and the bloke with a coconut in his ear who in my view are both egotists I thought it was desperately crap.
I stood directly under the police box and no more than twenty of us made a sound.
A few around me must have been recently weened off of their mothers nipple when they put that banner up at the end fffsake :moo:

Be honest, it's like ANY visitors to your home. It's really great to see them, but it's also quite nice when they bugger off again. :wave:

Looking forward to seeing all the old familiar faces back again next Saturday.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I normally sit in the north end of WSU but sat in the south end of WSL for this one. It made me realise that it genuinely depends on where you sit as to how good the noise level / atmosphere comes across. From where I was sitting the noise coming from the north was largely non existent while I felt the Cov fans made a tremendous noise throughout the game and put us to shame. When in my normal seat I always think the noise from the north is great and often think the noise from the away support is poor. It leaves me to think that the noise from each end just drifts upwards into thin air because the shape of the roof at both ends doesn’t make for good acoustics as they slope upwards to the sky.

Indeed. From various vantage points, the crowd thinks they sound loud and the other areas quiet, but from the other end the opposite appears to be the case.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the stream before they scored you only heard them sing that one song they had “all stick together” or something like that, maybe 4 or 5 times where as our fans could be heard the whole game until they scored their consolation.

Once we scored and continued outplaying them, the Coventry fans were quiet for the best part of an hour. They raised their game as our non-Stephens team started pointlessly giving away possession.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You are aware they aren’t popular songs yet you continue to drone on and on with them that’s exactly his point

I can list many once 'not popular' songs that are now sung throughout the ground and at every away. Here's a tip, try and join in with them and they spread faster, whether you like them or not. But you won't because you're the problem, not them.

Just a thought, but I feel persisting with the ‘Chrisy Hughton’s’ blue and white army chant is a waste of time. Nobody else in the crowd wants to sing it, and it just ends up nullifying the rest of the supporters. Just my observation.

How can that possibly nullify the crowd? The fact that "nobody else in the crowd wants to sing it" is surely the problem not the song, as it's used regularly by us to this day and all fans across the country.

Accurate, sadly. They could make the atmosphere brilliant but they never will, it's just a big ego massage for them having their 20 mates sing a song nobody else knows

I think that's your imagination at work. Your thought process probably went something like this - "Look at those knobs over there singing things I don't know the words to. Instead of trying to learn the words and join in, I'm going to create a fantasy where they are doing it on purpose to piss us all off."

Until people like the above realise it's them that are the problem (won't happen), it will always be fragmented.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I can list many once 'not popular' songs that are now sung throughout the ground and at every away. Here's a tip, try and join in with them and they spread faster, whether you like them or not. But you won't because you're the problem, not them.

How can that possibly nullify the crowd? The fact that "nobody else in the crowd wants to sing it" is surely the problem not the song, as it's used regularly by us to this day and all fans across the country.

I think that's your imagination at work. Your thought process probably went something like this - "Look at those knobs over there singing things I don't know the words to. Instead of trying to learn the words and join in, I'm going to create a fantasy where they are doing it on purpose to piss us all off."

Until people like the above realise it's them that are the problem (won't happen), it will always be fragmented.
No. Not learning the words is not the issue. If something doesn't catch on it's probably because it's absolute dribble. If the words are good, it will catch on.

See - he came from PSV, to Sussex By The Sea, Locardia (woaho) being sung in the North yesterday and spreading

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Accurate, sadly. They could make the atmosphere brilliant but they never will, it's just a big ego massage for them having their 20 mates sing a song nobody else knows

I'm sorry but that is utter shit!

I have no affiliation with them other than being near them in the NW corner. I've also sat in various places in the North stand over the past few seasons for cup games and when I've had friends come along so i speak from experience.

The problem with the North singing different songs is the acoustics and not being able to hear what the rest of the stand is singing not some ego thing. For the most part as soon as another song gets going they'll change theirs and also quite a few of the songs they start get picked up by the rest of the stand.

A classic example of not being able to hear the rest of the stand was yesterday when there were a few out of sync renditions of "Whose that man...". I'm not saying a drum would fix this but ...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No. Not learning the words is not the issue. If something doesn't catch on it's probably because it's absolute dribble. If the words are good, it will catch on.

See - he came from PSV, to Sussex By The Sea, Locardia (woaho) being sung in the North yesterday and spreading

Whereas something as recent as the Knockaert song took ages to catch on because of "shit words". The same shit words which are sung today.

Who really cares about the words so long as they scan, they're not supposed to be masterpieces.

The 'crew' you're talking about always try and get something new going which should be welcomed. Despite popular belief and in my experience they will always join in with other chants, even when an Albiyaawn has interrupted a pretty good one they have already started. I really just can't understand why they are so vilified.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Whereas something as recent as the Knockaert song took ages to catch on because of "shit words". The same shit words which are sung today.

Who really cares about the words so long as they scan, they're not supposed to be masterpieces.

The 'crew' you're talking about always try and get something new going which should be welcomed. Despite popular belief and in my experience they will always join in with other chants, even when an Albiyaawn has interrupted a pretty good one they have already started. I really just can't understand why they are so vilified.
The Knockaert song took about 5 mins to catch on but hey, make stuff up to suit the agenda. That's the issue with this group, they can't see that THEY can improve the atmosphere by changing tactic. They'd rather look down on everyone else. A shame as they could make the amex atmosphere even better.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

This was how it appeared to me. However, it appears to me that when we go away the reverse happens. Seems most teams when away take their most loyal,fervent fans and make most of the noise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here