Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best Run Football Clubs

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth are living way beyond their means.

If their rich backers disappear they'll be in administration within 3 months.

The infrastucture is not there at the moment but I live in hope that we can one day be as entertaining to watch at this level as Bournemouth often are. What they have done since they got promoted is nothing short of phenomenal imo. They seem pretty well run to me. Were we not well run during the Withdean years and we were never far from going bust as far as I remember,

We’d all be ****ed if the rich backers pulled out, including the Albion.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The infrastucture is not there at the moment but I live in hope that we can one day be as entertaining to watch at this level as Bournemouth often are. What they have done since they got promoted is nothing short of phenomenal imo. They seem pretty well run to me. Were we not well run during the Withdean years and we were never far from going bust as far as I remember,

I would say we were equally well run in Withdean, shoestrings and all that and crikey we didnt have a relatively withi reason open wallet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would say we were equally well run in Withdean, shoestrings and all that and crikey we didnt have a relatively withi reason open wallet

Most succesful period in our history in respect of silverware too. Some forget just how well we did there without a pot to piss in, relatively speaking. Dick Knight and early days of TB :bowdown:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think Brighton is well run. As has been said many times, we have built from the bottom up. Our infrastructure is as good as any clubs of our size. The academy hasn't started producing players for us quite yet, but that takes several years, it has only been 3 or 4 years so I wouldn't worry quite yet.

In any other industry our finances would show we are being poorly run, but in this industry, in this country we really ain't. For me the proof of how well run financially we are is the fact we don't break FFP rules. Bloom worked on the basis that to give us the best possible chance to get out of the Championship we would always have as big a budget as we were allowed. In that time our FFP allowance went both up and down, When it went down so did our losses and when it went up, our losses also went up. That was down to Paul Barbers ability to run a business and Tony Blooms willingness to put his own money into the club.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

I too I like the way Bournemouth play. They are entertaining and play an exciting brand of football. I think Eddie Howe is a good manager. But I thought the question refers to how the club is run, not how they play.

Arsenal seems to be the best run club. Every year they make a decent profit and if the Premier Leauge money ever dries up, they will be in excellent shape with stacks of money in the bank and a stadium holding 60k that is fully paid for.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I too I like the way Bournemouth play. They are entertaining and play an exciting brand of football. I think Eddie Howe is a good manager. But I thought the question refers to how the club is run, not how they play.

Arsenal seems to be the best run club. Every year they make a decent profit and if the Premier Leauge money ever dries up, they will be in excellent shape with stacks of money in the bank and a stadium holding 60k that is fully paid for.

Exactly. Bournemouth broke the FFP rules to get promoted because with such a small fanbase and tiny ground they could never have the revenues to pay the wages they had to. The problem is that the Premier League money distorts the financial logic so much that you can't really judge whether clubs at this level are well-run or not. Judge them after relegation, once the parachute money has dried up.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Most succesful period in our history in respect of silverware too. Some forget just how well we did there without a pot to piss in, relatively speaking. Dick Knight and early days of TB :bowdown:
3 titles in 12 seasons. We only won 2 in 90-odd years at the Goldstone. Remarkable given the precarity of our finances and further testament to Dick, Martin, Bob etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They have piles of PL money to spend, how are they living beyond their means?

Is the truth.

They did live far beyond their means to buy promotion and paid a Fair Play fine for doing that.

Not that they care, as they now bank £100m a year in TV money. The plan worked.

Money from tickets in the PL is now relatively insignificant, unless the club has a huge stadium with vast corporate facilities.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What about palace? Ok they’ve got a crap ground, run their academy from a “goals” centre and have had a couple of administrations but they’ve been in the top two divisions for 30+ years and have players we could only dream about like “The” Benteke and former Newcastle players Cabaye and Townsend. We might mock them but they are doing something right.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would have to put Huddersfield up there, seem to be doing things the right way, low season ticket prices for their first season in the premier league, and top tier return.

Owner seems to be a boyhood fan like TB, and they have made huge strides since going into admin.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What about palace? Ok they’ve got a crap ground, run their academy from a “goals” centre and have had a couple of administrations but they’ve been in the top two divisions for 30+ years and have players we could only dream about like “The” Benteke and former Newcastle players Cabaye and Townsend. We might mock them but they are doing something right.

They do seem to be run on a fairly tight budget at this level, which probably explains the wailing from many of their fans when they failed to make any significant signings in the last transfer window (s). When they were on that poor run at the start of the season, there were calls all over the place for Parish and his little glove puppet/mouthpiece Bright to walk away.

Their academy was much vaunted by their own fans but it doesn't seem to be producing like it used to. Moses and Clyne were a few years ago now: since then only Zaha has made the first team. Perhaps Premier League status makes them less likely to give younger players a chance, or perhaps the best youngsters in London & the South East are now attracted to other clubs before Palace.

I'm not suggesting Palace's previous record of developing youth players isn't impressive, before they all crawl out of the woodwork and cluster around this post, merely that things seem to have dried up a little bearing in mind how much they used to bang on about it in comparison to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here