Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR fiasco at Huddersfield

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Were so opposed to change in this country that pundits have branded a system that has got every decision correct so far ‘a shambles’. :lolol:

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Why all the secrecy? Stick it up on the big screen and let everybody discuss it. The decision would still be made by the people that matter plus we all get something to occupy us while we are waiting.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The law is any body part that can legally score a goal has to be in an on-side position, so an hand/arm isn't included.

Given how far away the defender was when Mata put the ball in the net I can't believe he gained much of an advantage from his right knee being in an off-side position when the rest of him wasn't.

At least cricket has 'umpires call' when decisions are marginal, maybe football should do something similar. Unless there is >50% of the player offside then the decision stands?

As I understand VAR I thought it had to be a clear and obvious error - so it does have “umpires call” in it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Were so opposed to change in this country that pundits have branded a system that has got every decision correct so far ‘a shambles’. :lolol:

I think people can see the distinction between factually correct and fair.

As I understand VAR I thought it had to be a clear and obvious error - so it does have “umpires call” in it.

Not sure a knee being offside is 'clear and obvious'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand what the objection is to showing it on the big screen the decision will still be made by the officials and or VAR not the supporters watching the big screen.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Graham Poll said on BT that the "clear and obvious" errors to be reviewed were to do with red cards, penalties etc.

Every goal would be checked for offsides, as offsides are simple: you're either on or you're off. He was off. End of.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think people can see the distinction between factually correct and fair.

Not sure a knee being offside is 'clear and obvious'

The problem is that offside is a yes or no question, nothing to do with fair at all. All goals are checked for offside under VAR so clear and obvious doesn’t come into it. It’s either on or off, nothing else.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Secondly,it appears the VAR ref used wonky lines overlaying the play on the screen (later denied)

What's wrong with using lines (wonky or not) on the screen when your purpose is to use tech to determine if the official on the pitch made an obvious mistake? It's just a similar use of technology that people use everyday to heat your home, keep your banking account balanced...etc. I don't see the problem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here