Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Basketball v Skeleton Bobsleigh

Basketball or Skeleton Bobsleigh - Wheres should The UK Sport Money Go?

• Skeleton Bobsleigh

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Basketball

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Team GB wins a bronze medal today in a 'sport' that can only be described as 'what a load of bollox' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43080576

Meanwhile in a proper sport played by 100,000s of fellow Britions regularly, Basketball gets nothing from UK Sport because our male and female teams are deemed to be not medal prospects in it at the Olympics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/43086547

How is this right? A youth crime/knife crime epidemic across our United Kingdom in our inner cities and urban areas (aka Broken Britain) but millions get put at Lizzie Yarnold from Kent, to sacrifice 6 months of her time in the French Alps, to win Team GB a Gold medal in some bull*hit sport nobody does, that has more airtime about the suits they're wearing than the breakdown of the Northern Ireland Assembly on BBC News the other night, so we we can go 'Oh look at us -We're Team GB and we're great!' like East Germany used to do with drugs, which we don't do, because we're British, unless our heroes have asthma obviously and therefore have exemptions to overdose.

Kids playing basketball or medals for Team GB in Skeleton Bobsleigh though? Where should UK Sport be at?

I have really enjoyed the Skeleton this morning, not a basketball fan, but I will say you've put across a good point.

Delving further I suppose, isn't the argument more the division of sport funding between the grassroots and the elite, i.e. is too much thrown at the elite and could more effort be made to get sponsorship, and is grassroots funding being targeted properly? No idea what the answer is, but 6.5m funding skeleton seems rather over the top.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Basketball is a sport we will never do well in, so what’s the point in wasting money?
Because it has the second largest number of participants of any team sport.in the country.
It's a sport favoured by the young, and esp young black males.
The NBA looks upon the UK as a 'cash cow' ripe for exploiting.
Any player(s) that were to properly make their mark over there, would turn the yoof of this country basketball crazy.

In an ever sedentary society where us old fogeys bang on about being 'out after breakfast till our mums called us in for tea' funding for sport shouldn't solely be based on nicking medals from incredibly small global talent pools, like rowing cycling and bobsleigh, not even bobsleigh, skeleton bobsleigh.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Would you rather fund England winning the World Cup or the search of a cure for cancer?.... (Stay with me on this....)

If you want to fund Basketball you're really hedging your bets. Fail and you get very little back. Very little and money down. You have to develop sporting talent, and a lot of it. Lots and lots of money with little guaranteed success.

With skeleton you develop aerodynamic science....like with cycling. At Olympic level it’s more science than it is skill and that’s how you guarantee a medal count - more or less. And if you fail, you’ve still made headway. Scientific breakthrough cannot be undone. I’d be very surprised if the team behind the cycling success had not aided the sled sports in the winter Olympics.

That being said this is just my opinion with zero fact or reliable information.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry I wasn't trying to be smart, I was just saying that Lizzy's incredible final run was so good that it destroyed the leader Janine Flock, which lead to Flock messing up and finishing 2 hundredths behind Laura. I just tried to say it in fewer words.

Lol....I wasn’t being serious ...but I probably are cleverer than me :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have really enjoyed the Skeleton this morning, not a basketball fan, but I will say you've put across a good point.

Delving further I suppose, isn't the argument more the division of sport funding between the grassroots and the elite, i.e. is too much thrown at the elite and could more effort be made to get sponsorship, and is grassroots funding being targeted properly? No idea what the answer is, but 6.5m funding skeleton seems rather over the top.
£6.5m over FOUR years. It's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Because it has the second largest number of participants of any team sport.in the country.
It's a sport favoured by the young, and esp young black males.
The NBA looks upon the UK as a 'cash cow' ripe for exploiting.
Any player(s) that were to properly make their mark over there, would turn the yoof of this country basketball crazy.

In an ever sedentary society where us old fogeys bang on about being 'out after breakfast till our mums called us in for tea' funding for sport shouldn't solely be based on nicking medals from incredibly small global talent pools, like rowing cycling and bobsleigh, not even bobsleigh, skeleton bobsleigh.

How ever big it is in the UK it will never be on the levels in the US/Canada/Europe

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

Whilst i generally agree with your comments, watching Michael Jordan play was like watching a supernatural being. It was totally mesmeric.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Kent's Lizzy Yarnold - Did East Germans feel as underwhelmed as this when they won all those weightlifting golds at the Montreal Olympics? I know I do. Well done though - I hope all the kids will be out skeleton bob-sleighing tomorrow morning having been inspired by her.

Lizzy-Yarnold-682608.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just favourited by Maty 'not a basketball player' Ryan:-

[tweet]973017969163894786[/tweet]

It seems like the basketball equivalent of Gross doing a Cruyff Turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here