Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Basketball v Skeleton Bobsleigh

Basketball or Skeleton Bobsleigh - Wheres should The UK Sport Money Go?

• Skeleton Bobsleigh

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Basketball

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But she's the figurehead. The 'pretty' face of Skeleton Bobsleigh.

View attachment 94283
Nah, Amy is the pretty face

amy-w-t.jpg

Then there's this.....

View attachment 94284
:lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not a basketball fan
:facepalm: We thought you were the one!

but I just don't agree with them funding obscure sports to win medals in the Olympics, at the expense of a sport which is participated in great numbers, crap or otherwise.
Fair enough. I would say though that these obscure sports do benefit the nation - seeing Team GB win medals encourages people to get out and have a go at sport. And it's also good entertainment for us.

For something like basketball I'd like to see local councils providing a place for kids to play. We don't need to try and create a decent national team, just provide a space for people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do we really want to see the odd medal that puts us in 20th.
Yes. We'll presumably finish miles lower than that, but better the odd medal than none.

Who really is fussed about a bronze in a small event that we will never see for another 4 years.
The people watching the Winter Olympics?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. I would say though that these obscure sports do benefit the nation - seeing Team GB win medals encourages people to get out and have a go at sport. And it's also good entertainment for us.

For something like basketball I'd like to see local councils providing a place for kids to play. We don't need to try and create a decent national team, just provide a space for people.
Why would you think watching bobsleigh would encourage someone to go out and have a go at 'sport'?

There are plenty of multi use courts and random hoops in parks across the country, but very little incentive to use them.
As already said, you can draw a straight line between Olympic success in cycling and the current boom in all cycling.

I find it hard to believe funding for bobsleigh will have any impact of the health and wellbeing of Great Britain.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would you think watching bobsleigh would encourage someone to go out and have a go at 'sport'?
Because kids see Brits winning medals and think 'I want to win a medal, what do I need to do'?

There are plenty of multi use courts and random hoops in parks across the country, but very little incentive to use them.
I thought the incentive was simply that these kids are bored with nothing to do, but some would like to play basketball? Are we supposed to pay the kids to play or something?

As already said, you can draw a straight line between Olympic success in cycling and the current boom in all cycling.

I find it hard to believe funding for bobsleigh will have any impact of the health and wellbeing of Great Britain.
GB winning medals encourages kids to get into sport. Our sleighing athletes will have done other sport first.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because kids see Brits winning medals and think 'I want to win a medal, what do I need to do'?

I thought the incentive was simply that these kids are bored with nothing to do, but some would like to play basketball? Are we supposed to pay the kids to play or something?

GB winning medals encourages kids to get into sport. Our sleighing athletes will have done other sport first.

I think you're very wrong, but that's ok.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When we watch the Olympics, we want to see Team GB get the odd medal, so it makes sense to fund the area where that can happen.

This doesn't stop your 100,000 crap players from having fun still.

FWI I'd much rather watch the Olympic skeleton than any basketball match.

Do we really want to see the odd medal that puts us in 20th.

Who really is fussed about a bronze in a small event that we will never see for another 4 years.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

I think it is certain that in a few years if you asked the British public what is the skeleton 99.99% won't say an Olympic winter sport and apart from the bloke who got the bronze and his family no one will be able to name any British skeleton competitor.

As for medals don't most just watch the winter Olympics to see people crash and fall over on the ice and snow.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am late to the thread but when I first saw it I said Easy 10 is going to talk out of his backside on this one and you have not let me down.
Basketball is hugely entertaining and a great way to spend a couple of hours, it is also extremely skilful.
You know nothing.

Since when has knowing anything about anything been a pre-requisite for a rant on NSC ?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

This this this

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Don't get basketball much prefer handball so for the purpose of this pole it's the tin tray for me these boys and girls are crazy

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

BIG. FAT. THIS.

Not quite skeleton, but I have been down the Olympic run in Turin in a 4 man bob, and can say without fear of contradiction, it is the most exhilarating and at the same time shit-scarrying thing I have ever done in my life. Running around a basketball court in afore mentioned squeaky trainers is neither of those things.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Agreed. Dom Parsons used to be a 400m runner I think.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How many real games have you spectated?

It's all opinions, did not mean to come over all arsey with Easy 10, I don't get figure skating as a sport, it's dancing, but look at how well we have done at it over the years, but for me it is not sport.
I think where Easy fell down on his dislike of Basketball is that if he heared sqeaky trainers on a polished floor then he has only watched a game in a sports centre or school gym, you can't hear trainers over the noise of crowd and the loud music during play.
Also if it was piss easy to score every game would be 300-300, it is extremely skilful to shoot 3 points consistently.
Close games within 2 or 3 points right up to the end are exciting especially last second baskets to win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow that was brilliant, I now really want to play basketball. :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The skeleton bobsleigh didn't get funding until the first sign of success. Badminton has had its funding dropped because of a lack of medals.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What's with this 'Skeleton' shit? Used to be toboggan in my day. I remember John Noakes and Blue Peter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here