Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] country walk

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I did a lovely circular walk from Falmer a few weeks before Xmas.

Did involve a stop at the Half Moon at Plumpton, and then back across the Downs to Sussex Uni.

Good views of the Amex too :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've got a few small reviews of local walks in this section of Brighton Lines:

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/category/my-sussex/

The walk from Ditchling Beacon to Upper Beeding is fine locally although, as others show above, going inland opens up a lot of new experiences.

Exactly, a lot of people think Sussex is all about the coast. It isn't, some wonderful countryside inland wherever you choose to look. One thing is for sure, we are all truly blessed to live where we do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I did a lovely circular walk from Falmer a few weeks before Xmas.

Did involve a stop at the Half Moon at Plumpton, and then back across the Downs to Sussex Uni.

Good views of the Amex too :)

Sounds marvellous, I know alarmingly little about East Sussex really, but that's a walk l would be really interested in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll add another option: you could park in Findon Village and then walk up to Cissbury Ring (or even Chanctonbury Ring if you're feeling keen) and back down again (via the same route or a different one) and then have lunch in the fantastic Gun Inn - http://www.thegunfindon.co.uk/

There are two other pubs close at hand if they're busy and/or you don't fancy the menu.

Just don't tell [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] I sent you.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My favourite for a long time has been from the car park at the bottom of Chanctonbury Ring. Walk west along the bottom to Steyning (where you can get some lunch), then up through the woods to the top of the hill and back along the top.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'll add another option: you could park in Findon Village and then walk up to Cissbury Ring (or even Chanctonbury Ring if you're feeling keen) and back down again (via the same route or a different one) and then have lunch in the fantastic Gun Inn - http://www.thegunfindon.co.uk/

There are two other pubs close at hand if they're busy and/or you don't fancy the menu.

Just don't tell [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] I sent you.

It's a great walk to be fair, and the Gun does a good lunch, but book first if it's the weekend!

Depending on how far you fancy I'd also add a Findon to Steyning walk into the mix. It's about four and a half miles each way but with no roads in the middle so you do feel very remote and peaceful. Stunning views to Cissbury and down towards the Shoreham coast as well. A couple of hill climbs which then justify a good pub lunch and both Findon and Steyning are blessed with decent options on this front.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hello great and knowledgeable people of nsc! Planning on dragging my kids away from screens and out for a walk, nature hunt and a nice country pub lunch, so though I'd ask you all for ideas as you never let me down! Looking for somewhere within 30 mins from Hove if poss. Cheers in advance!

Squelchy mud and standing water at this time of year. I would tend to put youngsters on bikes and put the on the cyclepath north of Old Shoreham.

Red LIon _0324sm.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good shout, on a clear day probably the most beautiful place in Sussex. Was running up there last weekend - absolutely fabulous, my favourite part of the Downs. Can park at Firle Beacon or Bo Peep easily enough (or Alfriston obviously)

I've done that walk many times, usually starting at Glynde station then crossing the A27 to Firle village then up to the top of the beacon (quite some climb). Usually carry on from Alfriston via Lullington church and Litlington to Friston Forest and Cuckmere Haven. Once extended it even further - up the cliff at Cuckmere and over the Seven Sisters via Birling Gap and Beachy Head all the way to Eastbourne. Now that really is an all-dayer! Fantastic scenery all the way. What a glorious county Sussex is.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For any mid-Sussex types who want to avoid train hassle, if it's a nice day I can highly recommend walking to the Amex from Plumpton Station. Walk along the side of the racecourse, then down to the Half Moon pub. Then up to the top of the Downs, follow the SDW then turn off on to a long track that winds its way through Stanmer. Eventually you come out at Falmer village and the Swan. Takes a few hours but at least you can have a drink at the end of it!

Haven't done it yet, but you can also walk to the Amex from Lewes via the old Juggs Road and Kingston then up to the Downs.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Where did you end up going last time?

Took Bozza's advice and went to Angemering Park. Today we went to Firle and did a nice circular walk which the eldest did the map reading on. Boys had such a good time doing nature hunt etc, made it too late back to the Ram for food so had a drink and headed off to Bills in Lewes for a late lunch which was spot on. Lovely afternoon and weather was cracking! Cheers all for the tips, as always!

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
My favourite for a long time has been from the car park at the bottom of Chanctonbury Ring. Walk west along the bottom to Steyning (where you can get some lunch), then up through the woods to the top of the hill and back along the top.

I do this walk (going to other way round from Steyning to the ring along the bottom and back again along the top) every time I’m home from Norway. On a clear day there are great views from the top and it’s a decent bit of exercise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For any mid-Sussex types who want to avoid train hassle, if it's a nice day I can highly recommend walking to the Amex from Plumpton Station. Walk along the side of the racecourse, then down to the Half Moon pub. Then up to the top of the Downs, follow the SDW then turn off on to a long track that winds its way through Stanmer. Eventually you come out at Falmer village and the Swan. Takes a few hours but at least you can have a drink at the end of it!

Haven't done it yet, but you can also walk to the Amex from Lewes via the old Juggs Road and Kingston then up to the Downs.

I took this route from Burgess Hill......Hassocks, Jack and Jill Windmills the along the SDW before dropping straight down to Falmer on the track a few hundred yards past the Beacon

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200064075

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

I’m very familiar with chanctonbury ring and the paths up to it. I can’t think of a car park that puts Steyning in a westerly direction? Steyning village is east of chanctonbry ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Much less daunting the other way round....

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I’m very familiar with chanctonbury ring and the paths up to it. I can’t think of a car park that puts Steyning in a westerly direction? Steyning village is east of chanctonbry ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. Yes I mean east.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here