Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most Coventry fans think they're going to get absolutely battered on Saturday

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How times change. I can remember playing them at Withdean and thinking that we were up against a big club.

Always had a lot of affection for Coventry. The Specials, that 70s blue home and brown away kit, their Cup Final. A very decent club whose fans deserve so much more than what they are getting.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Anyone see the piece by Juice FM? Disgraceful calling Coventry minnows. In many ways a bigger club than us!

Never go there for sport stuff but even so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
How times change. I can remember playing them at Withdean and thinking that we were up against a big club.

Always had a lot of affection for Coventry. The Specials, that 70s blue home and brown away kit, their Cup Final. A very decent club whose fans deserve so much more than what they are getting.

lady-godiva-9313801-1-402.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Good point well made, and one not lost on Coventry fans either.

It is surreal how things have turned around.

If there is anti-SISU protest we can get in on tomorrow I'd be happy to join in.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Of all the paintings of Lady Godiva to choose, you picked the one with a Brighton connection.

Painted by Jules Joseph Lefebvre, a bit of a rarity because when his country was obsessed with Impressionism, his style was Classical/Pre-Raphaelite which the French regarded as stuffy, English-centric and archaic. Coventry Council offered to buy the painting from Lefebvre but he practically gave it away instead to the city of Amiens.

How do I know all this? Because I used to date an artist and she took me to an exhibition of Lefebvre's works at Hove Museum a few years back. Brighton and Hove Council collaborated with Amiens on a huge art exhibition.

http://www.amiens.fr/uploads/media/CP_LADY_GODIVA_ENGLISH.pdf

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Of all the paintings of Lady Godiva to choose, you picked the one with a Brighton connection.

Painted by Jules Joseph Lefebvre, a bit of a rarity because when his country was obsessed with Impressionism, his style was Classical/Pre-Raphaelite which the French regarded as stuffy, English-centric and archaic. Coventry Council offered to buy the painting from Lefebvre but he practically gave it away instead to the city of Amiens.

How do I know all this? Because I used to date an artist and she took me to an exhibition of Lefebvre's works at Hove Museum a few years back. Brighton and Hove Council collaborated with Amiens on a huge art exhibition.

http://www.amiens.fr/uploads/media/CP_LADY_GODIVA_ENGLISH.pdf

I wish I could say it was deliberate, but nice story :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Always had a lot of affection for Coventry.

I don't, I was a student there at Lanchester Polytechnic in the early 1980's and it was an utter shithole, horrible feeling of violence from both sides of the racial divide (a fellow student and mate was waiting at a bus stop when 4 young black lads got out of a car and beat the shit out of him - it was just after a fatal stabbing carried out by skinheads on a black guy in the Town Centre the previous weekend).

Another mate of mine lived very close to Highfield Road and I was stupid enough to go around to see him when West Ham were visiting for League Cup tie, what a bunch of animals they were, don't think many of them watched the game.

Terry Hall and the Specials used my local Chippy and I can confirm that he was as miserable a sod as he appeared to be on TV. Pukka Pie, Chips and Curry Sauce before you ask.

On a happier note I did have a thorough and exhausting sexual education through a fellow students Landlady (recently divorced nurse and a saucy little minx) for several months. Otherwise it is a place I'm happy to forget.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Strange how all the photos of the Coventry 70s kit are of Ian Wallace. As much as Vivienne Westwood's punk designs are an important cultural reference for the 70s, so is that strip and should be an exhibit in the V&A.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 272

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't, I was a student there at Lanchester Polytechnic in the early 1980's and it was an utter shithole, horrible feeling of violence from both sides of the racial divide (a fellow student and mate was waiting at a bus stop when 4 young black lads got out of a car and beat the shit out of him - it was just after a fatal stabbing carried out by skinheads on a black guy in the Town Centre the previous weekend).

Another mate of mine lived very close to Highfield Road and I was stupid enough to go around to see him when West Ham were visiting for League Cup tie, what a bunch of animals they were, don't think many of them watched the game.

Terry Hall and the Specials used my local Chippy and I can confirm that he was as miserable a sod as he appeared to be on TV. Pukka Pie, Chips and Curry Sauce before you ask.

On a happier note I did have a thorough and exhausting sexual education through a fellow students Landlady (recently divorced nurse and a saucy little minx) for several months. Otherwise it is a place I'm happy to forget.

Blimey. I have no first hand experience but I do have a very good friend who went to the same place in the early 90s when it had become a Uni. He came out the closet whilst a student and he's spoken of the place with some affection (tempered with a bit of gallows humour).

el punal

Strange how all the photos of the Coventry 70s kit are of Ian Wallace. As much as Vivienne Westwood's punk designs are an important cultural reference for the 70s, so is that strip and should be an exhibit in the V&A.

There does seem to be something wrong with those shorts. Mr Wallace does not seem to dress to the left, or the right. The fellow on the right of Wallace seems to be tugging at part of his anatomy. Bless my soul!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The world should be our lobster on this match but their recent results have got nothing to do with anything you often see a drop in form before a big game, they are not a bad side and will be right up for it, I will be shocked if they have not sold their allocation.
Krul being far too tall for a goalie is also a worry for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here