Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] If Nazis had got onto mainland Britain.....

D

Deleted member 22389

Will not get any sense out of this thread, I can see where it's going. How do people honestly have the energy to keep digging.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I am sure that it is interesting, but I can't bring myself to click the link. Does the documentary describe a world that is recognisable within any current copy of the Daily Mail?

Alternatively, I guess that watching SS-GB would be a similar experience.

get a life ffs

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Will not get any sense out of this thread, I can see where it's going. How do people honestly have the energy to keep digging.

It's simply a heads up thread as I heard the interview this afternoon. I know we have many history buffs on here.

and a few Nazis :wink:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry for the Daily hate Mail link.

New documentary looks good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5376097/Documentary-reveals-Hitlers-plans-Nazi-Britain.html

Tonight 8pm Yesterday channel

Just put that on Series Link. Thanks for the Heads up.

I loved the BBC drama shown last year SS-GB.

Hopefully there’ll be a second series.

I was slightly disappointed with SS-GB. It wasn't bad but promised more.

If you get the chance, watch "The man in the High Castle" on Amazon. A drama set in the US after victory by the Axis powers (Basically the Nazis get the A Bomb first).

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
A quick look at The Labour party's next election manifesto?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.

Frightening to think that evil soles such as Oswald Mosley and William Joyce would have run the country, under their mates and mass murderers Himmler and Heydrich.
May I suggest you Google Oswald Mosley. He was an MP who was so far right fascist is the next stop. I worked for many years at March engineering that made racing cars and Max Mosley, Oswakds eldest son, was one of the co owners and a nicer person I've yet to meet. Joyce on the other hand was just a puppet who would have met a similar end to his life either way.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005

Frightening to think that evil soles such as Oswald Mosley and William Joyce would have run the country, under their mates and mass murderers Himmler and Heydrich.

SS-GB is a Len Deighton novel, which only had 1 book, so can't see there being a 2nd series, but there are rumours there maybe.

Did chuckle a little when the SS chap says to Archer "Join us and you can have companies like Siemens in Britain", and then you go past the Thameslink depot at Three Bridges.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All Fantasy.

I would recommend you read Stephen Bungays 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' which is a history of the Battle of Britain and debunks the German Invasion plans quite thoroughly.

The Luftwaffe was set up as a support of the Wehrmacht rather than a Strategic Air Force and had almost no chance of defeating RAF Fighter Command which was the foremost Air Defence system in the World at the time - over the course of July to September 1940 it proved that it could not.

As a consequence it would not have been able to prevent the Royal Navy (again the foremost Navy in the World at the time) sending Warships into the English Channel and sinking the invasion fleet. It is highly unlikely the Kriegsmarine would have made an appearance under the Circumstances.

It obviously suited Churchill in his wooing of the USA to tell them we were in imminent danger of Invasion but the U-Boats operating in the Atlantic in 1942-43 were by far the most likely way we would have gone under.

Still contra-factuals are always interesting, will probably give it a watch. I wonder if they will speculate about the amount of collaboration that would have taken place a la our wonderful friends across the Channel?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All Fantasy.

I would recommend you read Stephen Bungays 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' which is a history of the Battle of Britain and debunks the German Invasion plans quite thoroughly.

The Luftwaffe was set up as a support of the Wehrmacht rather than a Strategic Air Force and had almost no chance of defeating RAF Fighter Command which was the foremost Air Defence system in the World at the time - over the course of July to September 1940 it proved that it could not.

As a consequence it would not have been able to prevent the Royal Navy (again the foremost Navy in the World at the time) sending Warships into the English Channel and sinking the invasion fleet. It is highly unlikely the Kriegsmarine would have made an appearance under the Circumstances.

It obviously suited Churchill in his wooing of the USA to tell them we were in imminent danger of Invasion but the U-Boats operating in the Atlantic in 1942-43 were by far the most likely way we would have gone under.

Still contra-factuals are always interesting, will probably give it a watch. I wonder if they will speculate about the amount of collaboration that would have taken place a la our wonderful friends across the Channel?

I don't think that anyone is saying Hitler would have been able to carry out these plans, clearly he couldn't, or he would have but more that these were his plans.
One must also remember that they got onto the Channell Islands. They built concentration camps there. People were genuinely scared that a full scale invasion was just about to happen.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Especially if Germany hadn't declared war on the USA. But starvation and lack of materials doesn't make such a great story or documentary, so it's not a surprise that kind of counter-factual is ignored in favour of the more 'glamorous' ones.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
All Fantasy.

Collaboration happened everywhere in occupied Europe, a mixture of being a full on Fascist, a fellow traveller on the right who regarded Communism as being far worse than Nazism, those who meekly followed instructions from the occupier, and those who needed to survive and feed their families. All would have happened here as it did in the Channel Islands and the rest of occupied Europe.

Agree with your points about the military possibilities but these are bound up with a will to fight from the political elite which is why the French collapsed so spectacularly. It is no secret that a section of the Conservative Party coalesced around Lord Halifax pushed Churchill within the Cabinet to sue for peace at the height of the battle for Dunkirk. They were undermined by the successful evacuation which hardened public resolve to keep fighting under Churchill. If that had gone the other way and Churchill was pushed out who knows.

The British plan was to move the Royal Family and government to Canada in the event of an occupation and to continue the fight via the Commonwealth and possibly the US if they ever entered the war (They only entered because Germany declared war on them in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor). The exiled government would have included Churchill, most of the Labour Party and the majority of the Conservatives. Hitler would have filled the vacuum with those on the Right who stayed and these would have been those whose vehement anti-communism overruled any doubts about the Nazi's malign intentions. In all likelihood Edward VIII would have returned to the throne, with the possiblilty of Lloyd George, who by this point was a German apologist, being little more than a puppet Prime Minister. I doubt Moseley would have been in charge at the beginning. Hitler's methods dealing with occupied countries was to keep as much of the previous government in [reduced] power in order to avoid too much dislocation. Local Fascists were often kept in check by the Germans but were used as threats if the natives became too independently minded.

British industry and agriculture would have been restructured to serve the German military in its fight against Soviet Russia, able bodied workers would have been rounded up and sent to the continent to work in factories vacated by Germans fighting on the front. In all likelihood there would be shortages of food as what would be produced would be used by the German military.

Resistance would depend on links with the exiled government and would be reduced to less populated areas in the north. Scotland would depend on whether the Nazis wished to buy their support by offering 'independence' (See Slovakia and Croatia), I'd imagine there would be a number of Scottish politicians who would have gleefully jumped out of the bed with the English in order to jump into another with the Germans. Any resistance there would be complicated by this and would probably be the place where the communists would be most active. Ireland's friendship would be purchased with the return of Ulster.

Much of the above can be gleaned from reading the history of the German occupations of other countries, they all follow similar patterns especially in the more stable parts of pre-WW2 Western Europe. We certainly would not have suffered the denudations that occured in Poland nor the bloody civil wars fought out amongst a number of sides in Yugoslavia and Greece.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
10% of the population of Alderney were killed by the Nazis. That's shocking.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Many years ago this was 'war gamed' at Sandhurst using the invasion plans led by a Wii German senior Officer, and the UK defence plans.

They lasted less than a week.

Invade at seven sisters, royal navy heads to Atlantic, let first invading forces land, navy comes into the channel, cuts off supply route, airforce and army phase withdraw back towards London, Germans run out of momentum, ammo etc. Mopped up and all done.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Collaboration happened everywhere in occupied Europe, a mixture of being a full on Fascist, a fellow traveller on the right who regarded Communism as being far worse than Nazism, those who meekly followed instructions from the occupier, and those who needed to survive and feed their families. All would have happened here as it did in the Channel Islands and the rest of occupied Europe.

Agree with your points about the military possibilities but these are bound up with a will to fight from the political elite which is why the French collapsed so spectacularly. It is no secret that a section of the Conservative Party coalesced around Lord Halifax pushed Churchill within the Cabinet to sue for peace at the height of the battle for Dunkirk. They were undermined by the successful evacuation which hardened public resolve to keep fighting under Churchill. If that had gone the other way and Churchill was pushed out who knows.

The British plan was to move the Royal Family and government to Canada in the event of an occupation and to continue the fight via the Commonwealth and possibly the US if they ever entered the war (They only entered because Germany declared war on them in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor). The exiled government would have included Churchill, most of the Labour Party and the majority of the Conservatives. Hitler would have filled the vacuum with those on the Right who stayed and these would have been those whose vehement anti-communism overruled any doubts about the Nazi's malign intentions. In all likelihood Edward VIII would have returned to the throne, with the possiblilty of Lloyd George, who by this point was a German apologist, being little more than a puppet Prime Minister. I doubt Moseley would have been in charge at the beginning. Hitler's methods dealing with occupied countries was to keep as much of the previous government in [reduced] power in order to avoid too much dislocation. Local Fascists were often kept in check by the Germans but were used as threats if the natives became too independently minded.

British industry and agriculture would have been restructured to serve the German military in its fight against Soviet Russia, able bodied workers would have been rounded up and sent to the continent to work in factories vacated by Germans fighting on the front. In all likelihood there would be shortages of food as what would be produced would be used by the German military.

Resistance would depend on links with the exiled government and would be reduced to less populated areas in the north. Scotland would depend on whether the Nazis wished to buy their support by offering 'independence' (See Slovakia and Croatia), I'd imagine there would be a number of Scottish politicians who would have gleefully jumped out of the bed with the English in order to jump into another with the Germans. Any resistance there would be complicated by this and would probably be the place where the communists would be most active. Ireland's friendship would be purchased with the return of Ulster.

Much of the above can be gleaned from reading the history of the German occupations of other countries, they all follow similar patterns especially in the more stable parts of pre-WW2 Western Europe. We certainly would not have suffered the denudations that occured in Poland nor the bloody civil wars fought out amongst a number of sides in Yugoslavia and Greece.

Thanks for that erudite and well informed post - are you sure you are suited to North Stand Chat? :lolol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here