Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Festival 2018 Line-Up Announced

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
HERE:

https://brightonfestival.org/whats_on/

Anything float your boat?

For me it's all about the talks. This year I fancy the talks by Viv Albertine and Robert Peston. Oh,and the one by guest director David Shrigley. Got to be asked: what on EARTH was going through his mind when he designed Kingsley, the terrifying Partick Thistle mascot :ohmy:

partickthistlemascot4.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Viv Albertine talk sounds interesting NOW (the argus INCORRECTLY says it's a talk about being in the Slits zzzzzzz) . I'm looking forward to the new book (publishes in April).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
David Shrigley. Got to be asked: what on EARTH was going through his mind when he designed Kingsley, the terrifying Partick Thistle mascot

LSD will probably be the answer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do like David Shriggly though. He always amuses me.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Only one thing for me - Andy Hamilton at the Theatre Royal. Have been really disenchanted with the Festival for a number of years now...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The music line-up is really strong this year, there's always an act (or two) that I want to see but there are about a dozen this time round.

On the other hand, the theatre looks really uninspiring ... swings and roundabouts.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Unless I'm missing something there's not a single large scale promenade/installation type event of the sort that's usually the highlight of the festival - I'm thinking of things like 'For The Birds' last year or 'Before I Sleep' a few years ago. This year they seem to have gone for 'a series of one-off events we can put in a brochure'. That's a real shame. I wonder how much influence a 'guest director' has, and whether the concept might actually dilute the idea of a regular director trying to build on past successes?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unless I'm missing something there's not a single large scale promenade/installation type event of the sort that's usually the highlight of the festival - I'm thinking of things like 'For The Birds' last year or 'Before I Sleep' a few years ago. This year they seem to have gone for 'a series of one-off events we can put in a brochure'. That's a real shame. I wonder how much influence a 'guest director' has, and whether the concept might actually dilute the idea of a regular director trying to build on past successes?

Oh this. Those outdoor installations and site-specific theatre have been the most outstanding events at the Festival in recent years in my book. Both of those you mention being prime examples.
On first glance, I'm none too impressed with this, although we'll go to a fair few things, and I'm sure I'll have to re-evaluate this (current) prejudice.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
just looked through the Shrigley influenced printed programme, looks good, not usually into the Festival tbh, but a few things jumped out:

Viv Albertine - as already mentioned

Brett Anderson in conversation (I know, but I like him and Suede)

Double bill at the D of Yorks ZERO DE CONDUITE and IF
Double bill at Komedia WITCHFINDER GENERAL and A FIELD IN ENGLAND

There's some art stuff that looks interesting too .... Gilbert and George :lolol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As ever the Fringe Festival is likely to have far more variety and be far better value than the main festival.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Robert Peston and Michael Rosen talks. Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. Other than that, will wait for the Fringe line up to come out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here