Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Could of and Should of: Who is to blame: The Poll

Well, who is to blame for these aberrations?

• Teachers: Must drill basics into kids. Offer a sacrificial teacher each time it happens

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Parents of the snowflake will not correct their kids variety

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Grammar Pedants who people now actively rebel against

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • The offending person who should be auto-enrolled in National Service.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el punal

Teachers are to blame. Yet, the first thing they do when they meet you is announce 'I'm a teacher' as if it validates everthing they say. Even the woman in front of me in Tesco last night to the cashier. 'Well I'm a teacher blah blah'. It's their job to correct things like 'would of'.

It is also the parent's job as well.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I generally have no great issues with the evolution of language. It's rather the nature of things.
But I do have problems with the current vogue for using his instead of he's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Although it hasn't seeped through to the written word yet, I hate the current favourite footballer word - 'ter'.

'We're going ter give 110% tomorrow'; 'The manager's told us we've got ter do better at home'. Yeugh.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Teacher trainers in the 1970s prioritised creativity over accuracy "which can be taught later" (except that it never was). Therefore too many of the present generation of teachers have a sub-standard grasp of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
I'm not even convinced kids should be taught subjects until needed or relevant. When I look back at my schooling the only thing I've need in adult life is English Language and basic Mathematics. All the hours I spent in Physics classes, I needed none of it. There should have been a greater emphasis on languages too. Then we would have had a broader world view. I can speak some French but that's about it. Irks me that I wasn't encouraged more.

We've got football officials who can't even draw straight lines..

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I'm not even convinced kids should be taught subjects until needed or relevant. When I look back at my schooling the only thing I've need in adult life is English Language and basic Mathematics. All the hours I spent in Physics classes, I needed none of it. There should have been a greater emphasis on languages too. Then we would have had a broader world view. I can speak some French but that's about it. Irks me that I wasn't encouraged more.

C’est la vie…..😂

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You can of course restart French at anytime you want. Just because you have left school it doesn’t mean you have to stop learning.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Interesting, this. I don't know the answer.

We lived abroad for seven years and our daughter began her education in Delhi (Kindergarten) before moving on to primary school in Nigeria. It turned out her spelling and punctuation were quite a bit behind by the time we returned to the UK. What surprised me was that her teachers seemed fairly chilled out about this when we raised it at parents' evenings. In the end, my wife and I spent a lot of time working with our daughter to address this.

So you could argue option A - as her teachers seemed unconcerned or you could argue option B for parents that expect teachers to do all the heavy lifting. I'd opt for a combo of the two? Probably.

Anyway. It worked. My daughter spent yesterday evening polishing up her PhD applications. Proud? Hell, yeah! I never even made it to university.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

….and if you did need physics for your job you’d be a bit screwed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting, this. I don't know the answer.

We lived abroad for seven years and our daughter began her education in Delhi (Kindergarten) before moving on to primary school in Nigeria. It turned out her spelling and punctuation were quite a bit behind by the time we returned to the UK. What surprised me was that her teachers seemed fairly chilled out about this when we raised it at parents' evenings. In the end, my wife and I spent a lot of time working with our daughter to address this.

So you could argue option A - as her teachers seemed unconcerned or you could argue option B for parents that expect teachers to do all the heavy lifting. I'd opt for a combo of the two? Probably.

Anyway. It worked. My daughter spent yesterday evening polishing up her PhD applications. Proud? Hell, yeah! I never even made it to university.
Did the teachers give a reason as to why they were chilled? I guess it might have been the case they spotted your daughter had potential to catch up? And let’s face it, she has certainly demonstrated an ability to learn given her lofty academic achievements! Well done to you both!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although it hasn't seeped through to the written word yet, I hate the current favourite footballer word - 'ter'.

'We're going ter give 110% tomorrow'; 'The manager's told us we've got ter do better at home'. Yeugh.
Isn’t this more to do with accent? Given this was written 6 years go, and it hasn’t slipped into written language thus far, I’d say it will not happen.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Has crept onto BBC Radio Sussex.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Did the teachers give a reason as to why they were chilled? I guess it might have been the case they spotted your daughter had potential to catch up? And let’s face it, she has certainly demonstrated an ability to learn given her lofty academic achievements! Well done to you both!
The teachers took the view that, while she was behind, it was within acceptable limits and they felt she'd catch up. We were definitely more concerned than they were.

And thanks for your congratulations, although I'd have to say my daughter really did do most of the work. I'm in awe of what she's achieved. She fried my brain when she showed me her Masters research. :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What do you mean by "ter"? Are you saying they pronounce "to" in a similar way to the final sound in computer or doctor?

If I say 'I am going to do something', both to and do should be pronounced the same.

Danny Pike and the horrid dim Sarah Gorrell both use 'ter'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here