Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Could of and Should of: Who is to blame: The Poll

Well, who is to blame for these aberrations?

• Teachers: Must drill basics into kids. Offer a sacrificial teacher each time it happens

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Parents of the snowflake will not correct their kids variety

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Grammar Pedants who people now actively rebel against

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • The offending person who should be auto-enrolled in National Service.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Surely, it's time to implant a grammar chip into the brain of every newly born baby so that we can move on from this debate.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
"Other". It is the idiots who insist that it doesn't matter. I know language evolves and all that but it should not evolve to include what are clearly mistakes made by lazy, ill educated people.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why would anyone get so wound up about this? It seems only people who mistake rote learning for intelligence give a shit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why would anyone get so wound up about this? It seems only people who mistake rote learning for intelligence give a shit.

It's not rote learning. Rote learning is being taught to recite something like the kings and queens of England, this is not knowing what words to use - or even what they mean.

And not all rote learning is bad. In the 1960s I was taught my 'times tables' by rote. It was one of the best things I ever learnt at school as it means I can do a lot of calculations in my head without having to use an external aide.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
It does matter if people spell incorrectly. How many would be employers take a look at an application letter full of misspellings and bad grammar and think "I'm not employing him/her". Fine for the theorists to say that as long as the meaning seems clear all is well, but in the real world it is a different matter.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Language is not fixed and has always evolved over time

Some people are too stuck in the past and unwilling to go along with the changes to the language which happens naturally over time and they need to be less precious over these changes

Or do we go back to things like to-day instead of today, and so on....... & I bet there were plenty back then who were complaining about people using the latter rather than the former, just as there are now with other changes with how language is used

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh goody, another pole.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It does matter if people spell incorrectly. How many would be employers take a look at an application letter full of misspellings and bad grammar and think "I'm not employing him/her". Fine for the theorists to say that as long as the meaning seems clear all is well, but in the real world it is a different matter.

Absolutely disagree. If an applicant sends me a CV/cover letter with spelling or grammar errors (or platitudes, cliches or unintended bathos), it goes straight in the bin. My 'real world' is a hard and unforgiving world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think that is the point he was making.

Apologies - you're right. That was very poor on my part. Totally missread it. Somone must have slipped some ayahuasca in my vino.

:wrong:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I blame the parents who sub contract parenting off to schools. Perhaps if they weren't teaching your children to swim, ride a bike etc or to play nice, respect others and use their manners etc etc they would have time to concentrate on the basics of language and numeracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here