Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Any members, existing or new. We will be doing an evening of blitz on Sunday at 20:30 for an hour. It will be an arena, 5mins on the clock each with loads of chaotic and fun games and errors a plenty. Any questions ask away!! Our club is thriving with regular games against clubs representing football clubs from around the world from Ajax to Zenit.

Some of the current matches in progress we have are again Spartak Moscow, Manchester United, Liverpool, Dinamo Zagreb, Bayern Munich. Whatever your level of chess, even total beginner/learning the rules, if you are a Brighton fan you are welcome to join us..

https://www.chess.com/club/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc

https://www.chess.com/live#r=141083

Little bump to anyone who has not been on to our site for a while, fun 5 min matches tonight amongst our selves

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
A few Brighton fans on this forum formed a chess team to represent the Albion nearly two years ago and play under Brighton and Hove Albion NSC. Since then our members have grown to over 60 players of varying levels. We mainly play other football clubs who have an associated chess club and we are in two global leagues. We also play any non football related club who fancied a challenge. When we started we were 27500+ in the chess.com world rankings. By the time we reach our 2nd anniversary next month we will be in the top 1000 as we have another 6 matches that we have won but the matches have yet to conclude. A monumental achievement from the team. What sets us apart from virtually any other club is that we are exclusively all Brighton fans. We don't permit any non Albion fans to join. If any chess players are reading this thread for the first time and fancy a game the why not check us out and join the team regardless of your ability.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Hi guys, just a reminder in these unique times for us all, there is an Albion chess club, if you fancy a game with other Albion fans, or saying that, with millions of people all over the world.

We try to mirror the club from NSC, as that's where we started from, and the relaxed way that it runs.

It's not endorsed by Bozza, but run seperately, but Bozza is a member, and I'm pretty sure that after a couple of years he's not grumbling that we put the NSC tag on x

We have one criteria to join, and that's that you're Albion only!!

We are 63 of us, but 20 of us are actively playing all the time, so chess with another Albion fan, is there if you fancy a game or two in these times.

Games can be 5 minutes, or up to a move every 3 days, if needed. There really is a massive choice if you look properly.

Signing up is free, and only needs an e mail address and user name ( if you're from NSC, great to use it, so we know who's beating us! ).

Brighton and Hove Albion NSC https://www.chess.com/club/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Brighton and Hove Albion NSC have a chess club...a rather good one!! Currently have about 60+ members and looking to recruit a few more. There's only two criteria! 1/ You enjoy playing chess and 2/ You have to be exclusively an Albion supporter. We formed about 2 and a half years ago, and since then we have enjoyed a quite meteoric rise up the chess.com world rankings! Out of 50000+ teams we are now #845 in the world rankings. We generally play lots of other domestic football teams who have chess clubs Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal etc as well as European and World clubs, such as Barcelona, Juventus, Ajax, Bayern Munich etc. We've pretty well beaten them all! We have just been promoted in the GFL (Global Football League) and recently beat (thrashed) the World's No 1 ranked club The Turk Chess Players. We encourage all abilities and often issue challenges at a certain rating to ensure everyone gets a game. About 10-12 of the team also represent England now. We also have an internal league where Albion fans can play each other. So if you play chess or used to play when you were younger and fancy some friendly and competitive games then check us out at https://www.chess.com/club/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc We play under the Albion logo and all matches are generally 3 days a move, although we do occasionally play one day a move, Bullet, Blitz and 960.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I can concur this is a lot of fun. Having not played chess since my school days it got me back up and playing. There is an excellent app which means you can through a few moves here and there so very manageable to have 10+ games on the go.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've just signed my son up who is a decent player. Will take a bit of persuading to play standard format as he favours the short stuff - but will try.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just started out on chess.com. I used to play chess quite a bit, but seemingly not very well looking at how it's going. I joined at the 'beginners' level - but seem to get placed against pretty even players to me (after 10 days, I'm on 7-6 at the moment - so fairly level - rating of 954, although I have no real idea what that means). So far been playing the 30min 'rapid' games as I find that gives me enough time not to feel rushed, but I'm not one for really long drawn out games.

Is it worth paying to get the unlimited reviews of games and so on?

What's the NSC club like - are you all on more then beginner level? I just saw this on a forum, which probably sums me up pretty well "Beginner is about 650 actually. 900 is someone who has won a few games at their high school and is pretty decent among his friends. He gets destroyed in his first tournament. 1200s are starting to take the game kinda seriously and know some openings and some strategy. Likely won't lose to normal people anymore. 1400 is good enough to be "The guy is beats everyone's ass in chess" in his area of a small town and would be champion at a small to medium size high school. " Where is the average NSC chess.com club member?

Not keen on tournaments as such - but would be quite nice to play against the same people more regularly.

Bodian already seems to be taken as a user name.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just started out on chess.com. I used to play chess quite a bit, but seemingly not very well looking at how it's going. I joined at the 'beginners' level - but seem to get placed against pretty even players to me (after 10 days, I'm on 7-6 at the moment - so fairly level - rating of 954, although I have no real idea what that means). So far been playing the 30min 'rapid' games as I find that gives me enough time not to feel rushed, but I'm not one for really long drawn out games.

What's the NSC club like - are you all on more then beginner level? I just saw this on a forum, which probably sums me up pretty well "Beginner is about 650 actually. 900 is someone who has won a few games at their high school and is pretty decent among his friends. He gets destroyed in his first tournament. 1200s are starting to take the game kinda seriously and know some openings and some strategy. Likely won't lose to normal people anymore. 1400 is good enough to be "The guy is beats everyone's ass in chess" in his area of a small town and would be champion at a small to medium size high school. " Where is the average NSC chess.com club member?

Not keen on tournaments as such - but would be quite nice to play against the same people more regularly.

A quick look at Chess.com reveals the mean ELO rating for the club is 1192, with a range of 710-1750, using the ‘Daily’ format to judge.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Most of the NSC Chess club are just shy of Kasparov level 😃

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm a member of the NSC club but have yet to sign up to any matches with other teams. Reckon I'd get spanked, to be honest.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

If you’re just getting back into chess you might want to take a look at lichess before coughing up any money as you can do free post game analysis using stockfish.

You can also import your games from chess.com and do it that way if you choose.

They have a different rating system though, a 1200 on chess.com is probably about 1400 on lichess. I bounce between 1450 and 1500 on chess.com and switch between the two sites a fair bit.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If you’re just getting back into chess you might want to take a look at lichess before coughing up any money as you can do free post game analysis using stockfish.

You can also import your games from chess.com and do it that way if you choose.

They have a different rating system though, a 1200 on chess.com is probably about 1400 on lichess. I bounce between 1450 and 1500 on chess.com and switch between the two sites a fair bit.
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I was in the NSC chess club on Chess.com a few years ago when I wanted to get back into chess. Had a great time playing against other NSC members and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I am not that good a player. Sadly stopped playing a while ago because of other priorities but hopefully will rejoin again in the future.

Give it a go you wont be disappointed.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I was in the NSC chess club on Chess.com a few years ago when I wanted to get back into chess. Had a great time playing against other NSC members and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I am not that good a player. Sadly stopped playing a while ago because of other priorities but hopefully will rejoin again in the future.

Give it a go you wont be disappointed.
Tis true - a fun bunch, who were always welcoming - I sort of backed out as absolutely useless at Chess 😃

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Not sure what has happened, but there are hardly any games now. I joined from the start and was enjoying it a lot but I think it’s only @Atilla now arranging games.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I played a lot at the start but there are fewer games now ... and those that are arranged seem to be for the good players and not average Joes like me. I signed up for quite a few but never got a game.

Having said that, I have got a slot in the latest game.

There used to an intra-club tournament for NSC members but that died a death too.

Being part of Chess.com is fun though, you can get plenty of games with other teams. I play a bit for Sussex and you can also arrange matches with your mates

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are the time rules on the NSC club? I know there must be different options, but I've never played a game online so I don't know what they are.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here