Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hmm you're right. I've flicked through the pages on chesstactics.org - you could save those to pdf but agreed, not as handily available as I was led to believe :(

No worries I picked up a couple of other books instead (a tactics one and a french defense one). If I get chance wanna step away from the computer for a concentrated hour here or there. To many distractions online (checking email, NSC, someone challenges). Gonna hopefully start playing OTB games soon in Worcester from June, chaps been in touch and playing a game for their online team, just the three of us mind

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Got a 1-1 in my game against Qarabagh and feel pissed off. Won the first comfy enough and then was up in the 2nd and we had him with repetitive check, asked for the draw and then just didn’t concentrate. I know Pickles played the same guy last time and he is tenacious. I’ll learn from throwing that point away though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My Ajax opponent has just resigned in my black game - he was a piece down and was about to lose a rook for a bishop. My white game is a lot tighter though, he has the edge in that ... although he missed a mating opportunity at the weekend.

My Arsenal opponent has gone for a fancy, full-frontal attack but his defence looks a bit flimsy ... a bit like Arsenal's football, come to think of it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Got a 1-1 in my game against Qarabagh and feel pissed off. Won the first comfy enough and then was up in the 2nd and we had him with repetitive check, asked for the draw and then just didn’t concentrate. I know Pickles played the same guy last time and he is tenacious. I’ll learn from throwing that point away though.

Mine is gonna be 1-1 :( My end game tactics needs work to to turn some of my draws or losses to wins, I've defintely highlighted that as my spot that needs work next :)
There is a friendly grudging rivalry forming with those guys and it can only be good for us to have the World Champs challenging US! Whatever happens this game, there will be a tie break at least! Congrats on a point, they dont have any poor players and we are ore than holding our own against EVERYONE. I have been off line a little so out of touch with a couple of matches, will have a look through some games tomorrow if I get chance Looking forward to the Bayern game.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Got my two points; bit of this, bit of that. Game of two halves really, over the moon.

We'll take that thank you very much, 2 valuable points in the bag + a 1-1 from Gwylan keeps the match very much in the balance. 4-3 down of which 2 of theirs were time outs. That could have been 5-2 up people, every board is valuable

The Barcelona game isnt looking too favourable 8-3 down with 9 games remaining I think so a HUGE effort required on each board, I have a had very quick scan through and it's doable but some uncallable games in there. Momentum still needed against Qarabagh, a good push to get back in it

Looking forward to closing a few of these off soon if possible (just need Battleman to stop bamboozling his opponents with whatever he is doing to make them take 2 days on EVERY move). There seems to be a supporter/chess player on all corners of this flat earth playing Battleman/Snuggles and scratching their head saying WTF. Think he may be dropped soon before we all die of old age

Who is going to get the magic point to secure the victory against Liverpool? Whilst it's still mathematically possible for them to draw it'll take one heck of a cock up for us not to win that one

The first World Cup challenge has been accepted you may have noticed and we are playing Belgium a week before England play them. No idea if Panama are Tunisia are going to accept, heard nothing there

Anyway, some tough games going on lets keep the momentum going on these ones chaps. Liverpool and River Plate SHOULD be our next points

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Two early goals against Arsenal to get the match off to a good start.

Arsenal is indeed a sloow start, nice points in the bag mate it'd be nice to get some daylight between us in that game, as said there are a lot of tight ones going on. We have still only lost to Russia, I think some of our opponents have heard about us now! Bayern Munich starts on Sunday and I see that being a slow game, they seem to be quite a serious side

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Snap. Other than the running out of talent bit. In order to run out, I'd need some in the first place and in that regard I am found wanting.

fancy a game of chess then? if we are equally average, it could work

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Got my 2 points against my opponent in the Arsenal game when he looked favourite in the 2nd. I even let him have two queens. I still cannot get to the Brighton NSC page on chess.com though. It takes me back to my page on the app when ever I try to go around it. I’ e Got there before so it’s vrustrating not seeing how we are doing in these matches.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got my 2 points against my opponent in the Arsenal game when he looked favourite in the 2nd. I even let him have two queens. I still cannot get to the Brighton NSC page on chess.com though. It takes me back to my page on the app when ever I try to go around it. I’ e Got there before so it’s vrustrating not seeing how we are doing in these matches.

It looks like I'm going to do 1-1 with my opponent. I had a moment of blind stupidity, making a move in a hurry, and lost my rook. But I'm a piece up in the other and a much better position.

The matches against the Azeri are tighter than a gnat's chuff at the moment: wouldn't like to call them

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So far, so good :moo:

Capture.JPG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That Arsenal score is something else. I got two points in it by accident: I was well up in one and losing in another and the bloke timed out.

I only have my two games with the Azeri bloke at the moment - a few weeks ago I had 12 games on the go, so that's a bit of a comedown. Anyone fancy a game?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Maybe give Battleman a challenge Gwylan? I'll play but dont think I will be at my best 3 tournaments I had signed up for all filled up at once so have a load of games going. (Getting the excuses in early)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here