Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's bonkers. I'm finding it hard to keep track of 12 games
12 is ok, but 99 is - as you say bonkers. Unless you are a master at the game and can just look at a board and play almost instantaneously because you see variations so quick then allowing for a couple of minutes studying per move that would take hours of a evening. Better to play 30 minute games in my opinion if you have time and half a dozen 1 move per 24 or 48 hrs challenges.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
...and my match was going soooo well :facepalm:

chess-animated-gif-1.gif

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
12 is ok, but 99 is - as you say bonkers. Unless you are a master at the game and can just look at a board and play almost instantaneously because you see variations so quick then allowing for a couple of minutes studying per move that would take hours of a evening. Better to play 30 minute games in my opinion if you have time and half a dozen 1 move per 24 or 48 hrs challenges.

I entered a tournament just as we started the next round of the group. It’s meant I had 22 games on the go at once and it has done my head in. Thankfully I am getting through the tournie games quite quick (mostly losing) so hopefully I’ll be able to focus on our stuff soon. Apologies in the interim that I’m going a bit slower than normal as a result. I’ve learned my lesson!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I entered a tournament just as we started the next round of the group. It’s meant I had 22 games on the go at once and it has done my head in. Thankfully I am getting through the tournie games quite quick (mostly losing) so hopefully I’ll be able to focus on our stuff soon. Apologies in the interim that I’m going a bit slower than normal as a result. I’ve learned my lesson!
It’s tempting, yes. When I was playing at my best 1450/1550 I still felt 6 games was about right. I resigned a whole lot of games recently because I wanted to get back on song ASAP - and couldn’t - but you have to bide your time and build back up slowly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It’s tempting, yes. When I was playing at my best 1450/1550 I still felt 6 games was about right. I resigned a whole lot of games recently because I wanted to get back on song ASAP - and couldn’t - but you have to bide your time and build back up slowly.

Exactly right. I need to do that now. Slow it down again and concentrate on fewer games. And also stop spending an entire evening playing chess!

Pickles

May 5, 2014

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Waking up in the middle of the night now, worrying if I’d blundered and blown it. What have you got me into?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Thought l'd bounce this thread to see if there is anyone interested in becoming a member of the Brighton and Hove Albion chess team. Just formed in February we now have 32 members of varying abilities and we are looking to playing against fellow supporters and in house tournaments as well as other matches against football teams and clubs around the world. If anyone is interested we'd love to welcome you on board!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, this Azerbaijan game is being drawn out. He/she's taking about 46 hours to make every move - this may finish before the start of next season,

Hope the Romanians are a bit speedier

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Blimey, this Azerbaijan game is being drawn out. He/she's taking about 46 hours to make every move - this may finish before the start of next season,

Hope the Romanians are a bit speedier

I’m having the same in the Bournemouth match. Am going to contact Eddie Howe if he doesn’t move it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Stick with it guys! Think this is going to happen quite a bit

Pickles has suggested our format for now should generally be 2 day moves, sounds about right, I'd like 1 day moves but there would be too many time outs for both sides I would imagine

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Righteo folks, we have another match starting on the 15th April against.. Drum roll....

Juventus FC!

Link to join in your inbox, they look alright

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Stick with it guys! Think this is going to happen quite a bit

Pickles has suggested our format for now should generally be 2 day moves, sounds about right, I'd like 1 day moves but there would be too many time outs for both sides I would imagine

The research I've done shows that teams play 3 days generally, but 2 for us seems to be working in the main.

Also, for people only using the app, you can't get into the club's inner sanctum and see what's going on, you need to do so via a browser, whether it's tablet or phone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yay, my Azerbaijan guy finally cut it too fine and run out of time in both games. So, the NSC team has just won its first match

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yay, my Azerbaijan guy finally cut it too fine and run out of time in both games. So, the NSC team has just won its first match

Woohoo. We are winners!! I wonder what that will do to our ranking as a team?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Woohoo. We are winners!! I wonder what that will do to our ranking as a team?

It's not showing us as having won yet. Perhaps all games have to finish before it counts as a win.

Looks like BH-Albion is about to lose his game so it's good to be sitting pretty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here